Sci Fi Trivia

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

They come from Titan. I don't recollect exactly, but wasn't it a remembered shared memory from one of the characters who had been "possessed" for a time?

Larry Niven trivia: what did Gil "The Arm's" dead Rock-Jack friend keep in a little vial on a chain around his neck?

And if you're good enough to answer the above, then what killed him?

S

StarRider1701

yevaud":2oa3fqt5 said:
They come from Titan. I don't recollect exactly, but wasn't it a remembered shared memory from one of the characters who had been "possessed" for a time?

Half a million Quatloos for Yev! Yes, Titan. The main character - Sam(most of the time) had been possessed and allowed himself to be repossessed specifically for the purpose of interrogation of the invader. Also, somehow a 30 year cycle came into play and isn't one Saturn year 30 earth years long?

Larry Niven trivia: what did Gil "The Arm's" dead Rock-Jack friend keep in a little vial on a chain around his neck?

Jump Juice - rocket fuel. He was captured and the vial heated until it exploded.

A

a_lost_packet_

yevaud":103zddil said:
StarRider1701":103zddil said:
Musta been using an original Intel processor... :lol:

You mean the one that's 99.92736548% certain that 2+ 2 = 5? :)

Floating points never did nobody no good nohow.. always.. floatin' around an' everthin'...

S

StarRider1701

HRacct":1krp074m said:
yevaud":1krp074m said:
HRacct":1krp074m said:
In one of the incarnations of the ST shows, two major characters are arguing when one throws a punch at the other. The one character says something to the order of, "You hit me. Picard never struck me." And the other quips back, "But I'm not Picard." At the time, I really thought that that was truly funny.

That was good old truculent Benjamin Sisko. Avery Brooks at his best.

But that was only half of the answer. Who was he talking to, and who was the one he punched. That person was what made that scene funny.

I believe it was Q. Very dangerous to punch a God. :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

StarRider1701

HRacct":119w1zff said:
Anyone ever read the book Spock's World? Part of it told of the evolution of Vulcan. I always found it interesting to find out what they evolved from. To me, I think it could also explain partly why the blood may be green, but others would say no way.

Question is, what does that story say Vulcan's evolved from?

I never read that book. Please give us the answer, aparantly no one else here has read that one either.

In fact I've only ever read one Star Trek derived book. It was long ago and I don't even remember the title or the author although I believe the author was a female. I hated the book because the author wrote both Kirk and Spock totally out of character, not to mention the fact that she knew nothing at all about male friendships. Kirk was too much of a wuss and Spock was having "emotional moments" every five minutes! Lacking the actual physical act itself, to me it seemed they were both gay! And the other male characters suffered the same to lesser degrees. It totally turned me off of the Star Trek books, I've never read another.

S

StarRider1701

StarRider1701":1qvkkl5f said:
yevaud":1qvkkl5f said:

Jump Juice - rocket fuel. He was captured and the vial heated until it exploded.

Hey Yev, did I get that one right? If so, how about another, I love Larry Niven, with or without Pournelle.

Or maybe I'll do one: Lucifer's Hammer - what did Harvey's wife stock up on as "survival food"?

Y

yevaud

Ak, no one got it.

The reference was that he kept a tiny meteorite that had punctured his suit in a little glass vial he wore around his neck. What killed him? A "Droud," that delivers precisely metered amounts of electricity directly to the pleasure centers of his brain. He starved/dehydrated to death within reach of the front door...

And in answer to your question...

Crap, I don't remember. Harvey the Manservent? Who left before the MacArthur departed (e.g. he was not on the mission to the Mote)?

A question right back to you: what did the humans find surprising that Moties added to water for flavor?

(Yes, I am a Niven/Pournelle wonk)

H

HRacct

We have a "weinner"! StarRider was correct about Q being struck by Sisco. Knowing the characters involved is what made that scene all the more funny.

You do know what a "weinner" is, right? I was told it was a winner in a mexican dog race!!! No PC offense meant, please!!

StarRider, I do know what you mean about how some books about the series are written. I read a book one time about a close to current series, and then saw the episode, and because of how the book was written, was almost saying the lines along with the actors. It was then I decided to either to watch the show or read the book about the show, but not both.

If you want to read a good book, try, Q-in-law. Its about when Q meets Deanna's mother, and she gets the hots for him, and he starts running, and even has to ask Picard for help. It was a hoot!!

From what I know, there have been at least 2 series about Spock's people's past. This one was from the past, and is somewhat older. The storyline involved Spock looking back at his heritage and where he evolved from. Now they were not apes, as I remember it, they were trees looking for water so much, they started walking to find it. That was what I thought was a hoot. Maybe that is why he is a vegatarien, (where is spellchecker when you need it), and his blood is so green. And you literalists, be quiet.

There is a new series of books about Riker when he got his own command of a ship, Ezri Dak was given her own command, and a ship from 200 years earlier, who was friends with Jon Archer. That series was one of the better ones to read because it gave the past of where the Borg came from and why they were the way they were. That series I did enjoy, but I can't seem to recall the names of those 3 books, they are not that old.

S

strandedonearth

yevaud":3hlts3d9 said:
A question right back to you: what did the humans find surprising that Moties added to water for flavor?

(Yes, I am a Niven/Pournelle wonk)

Wasn't it kerosene or a similar petroleum-derived product?

Moving over to Niven's "Known Space" universe, how do you kill a Martian?

Y

yevaud

strandedonearth":215m82p3 said:
Wasn't it kerosene or a similar petroleum-derived product?

Yes, precisely.

strandedonearth":215m82p3 said:
Moving over to Niven's "Known Space" universe, how do you kill a Martian?

Drop an ice-asteroid on them.

Next question, same timeline: how did Chuut-Riit die?

S

StarRider1701

yevaud":3v8ygvr8 said:
Ak, no one got it.

The reference was that he kept a tiny meteorite that had punctured his suit in a little glass vial he wore around his neck. What killed him? A "Droud," that delivers precisely metered amounts of electricity directly to the pleasure centers of his brain. He starved/dehydrated to death within reach of the front door...

And in answer to your question...

Crap, I don't remember. Harvey the Manservent? Who left before the MacArthur departed (e.g. he was not on the mission to the Mote)?

Oh yeah, he was a... aaah, I cant think of the name they had for those addicted to that! Jackhead? Wire-jack? Darn, don't remember. Oh well, no Quatloos for me.

But none for you either, you were even in the wrong book! Lucifer's Hammer - Hamner/Brown Comet slams into Earth?
Hot Fudge Sundae, which falls on a Tuesday this week. That JPL scene was one of the funniest scenes I've ever read or seen anywhere, anytime! I laughed so hard I hurt myself and that made me laugh more! OUCH!

While there were many characters in that story, Harvey Randall, Reporter would have to be considered THE main character. His son was a boy scout that went up into the mountians with the neighbor and scout leader. Harv found them later, but that is another tale...

Harv's wife went to stock up like everyone else. They had to have something to eat besides the jerky Harv made that his wife said was, "...horrid stuff that you could only eat if you were starving." Nearly everything else was sold out, so she brought home a bunch of Frozen Food!!!

Hey Mr. Niven Wonk - go back and read Lucifer's Hammer again. I read it about every 3 - 5 years and love it every time. If that isn't my favorite book of all time, it certianly is in my top 5.

Y

yevaud

"Wire-Head."

I haven't read Lucifer's Hammer in several years, though Mote and the Gripping Hand (as well as several other Codominium novels) are on a bookshelf to my right.

My favorite scene has got to be the surfing scene, hands down.

AND, I might add, you missed mention of one that equally must be in one's collection: Inferno.

S

StarRider1701

yevaud":2fj702a8 said:
"Wire-Head."

My favorite scene has got to be the surfing scene, hands down.

Surfing scene was cool but far too brief and disappointing to me. All the others had fallen, I was kinda hoping that one last surfer would somehow make it. The scene I'm talking about is at JPL where the scientists there try to put the comet hitting earth into terms everyone can understand. They show what would happen if a cubic mile of "Hot Fudge Sundae" hit the earth. That's with peanuts, thank you! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm normally a pretty fast reader, but the first time I read it, it took me half an hour or more to get through those several pages. I've read Lucifer's Hammer a dozen times or so and that scene still evokes a good laugh.

Yes Inferno is also a good book but I didn't forget it. I wasn't talking about any other books. But we're straying from the trivial topic!

Heinlein - Lazarus Long claimed that the Mark V Blaster was so powerful, he killed a _________ with one!

Y

yevaud

Iirc, he killed a "God" with it (the Jockeira race, who had previously "assimilated" a bunch of the Howards).

S

strandedonearth

yevaud":3o39mr94 said:
same timeline: how did Chuut-Riit die?

I didn't know, so I googled it, very sketchy but sounded most kzintified. Which book(s) could I read more about it in?

Two questions are coming to mind:
1) Who is believed to have built the Ringworld?

2) (From Tales from the Man-Kzin Wars) How was first Man-Kzin encounter won?

Y

yevaud

strandedonearth":3md1oocv said:
yevaud":3md1oocv said:

I didn't know, so I googled it, very sketchy but sounded most kzintified. Which book(s) could I read more about it in?

It's in one of the Man Kzin War series, but I don't recollect which number it was. Sorry.

1) Who is believed to have built the Ringworld?

Pak Protectors.

2) (From Tales from the Man-Kzin Wars) How was first Man-Kzin encounter won?

The humans used their communications laser, if I remember this right.

Speaking of Ringworld, what was the Kzin Chmee's original name (from earlier in the known space series)?

C

crazyeddie

yevaud":2xa7nr3c said:

Speaking of Ringworld, what was the Kzin Chmee's original name (from earlier in the known space series)?

It wasn't the communications laser, but you're close. The Kzin captain turned their laser on the human Slowboat with the intention of disabling it, believing their Kzin telepath's assessment that they possessed no defensive weapons......not understanding, until it was too late, that the Earth ship's fusion drive made a very effective weapon at close range.

And as for Chmee's original name, wasn't it "Speaker to Animals'?

S

strandedonearth

crazyeddie":1f8u4k6u said:
yevaud":1f8u4k6u said:

It wasn't the communications laser, but you're close. The Kzin captain turned their laser on the human Slowboat with the intention of disabling it, believing their Kzin telepath's assessment that they possessed no defensive weapons......not understanding, until it was too late, that the Earth ship's fusion drive made a very effective weapon at close range.

And as for Chmee's original name, wasn't it "Speaker to Animals'?

Speaker-to-Animals, yes it was. The Kzin used "heat inductors" (probably microwaves) to kill the crew. Yes, the Earth ship's drive was used to cut the Kzin warship in half, but the drive was actually a large laser (photon drive) that could also be used for communication at interstellar distances.

So in a sense you're both right, the devil is in the details.

I think a few people should already know this, but what species is my handsome avatar? :twisted:

I still think "Tales from the Man-Kzin War" or even "Tales from Known Space" would make a fine TV show with loosely connected episodes, in the same vein as "The Twilight Zone" or "The Outer Limits."

M

MeteorWayne

Not really a trivia question, though it is. I figured there's no better way to get a quck answer than to ask the Trekkies.

Original Star Trek episode about the two planets engaged in a neat war that the Enterprise and crew got caught in the crossfire. Imaginary weapons were fired, and the computers calculated the casualties and they dutifully walk into the death chambers. Kirk, of course, ends the war by making it messy again, blowing up the master computer on one end of the connection.

TIA, MW

S

starsinmyeyes44

MeteorWayne":2m3sb0gw said:
Not really a trivia question, though it is. I figured there's no better way to get a quck answer than to ask the Trekkies.

Original Star Trek episode about the two planets engaged in a neat war that the Enterprise and crew got caught in the crossfire. Imaginary weapons were fired, and the computers calculated the casualties and they dutifully walk into the death chambers. Kirk, of course, ends the war by making it messy again, blowing up the master computer on one end of the connection.

TIA, MW

"A Taste of Armageddon"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taste_of_Armageddon

This is the episode that Spock says, "Sir, there is a multilegged creature on your shoulder." (followed by nerve pinch)

B

Boots09

yevaud":sco1kcev said:
strandedonearth":sco1kcev said:
yevaud":sco1kcev said:

Was'nt he eaten alive by his children..or should I say cubs (kits?) If hes the one I'm thinking of, two humans were sent to kill him. They did so by stopping the feeding schedule for his children. When he went to visit their chamber they were half starved and had him for lunch.

Y

yevaud

Eddie got it. Chmee was once "Speaker to Animals." Louis Wu could speak chapter and verse about him.

I know what stranded's avatar is, so I won't answer.

Boots, yes, his children were driven into a feeding frenzy and ate him. Correct.

Tree of Life apparently couldn't grow on Earth, and so the Pak Protectors all died out without replacement, leaving us breeders to continue on alone. What was the reason Tree of Life couldn't grow here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts