Sci Fi Trivia

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crazyeddie

MeteorWayne":3hsntez8 said:
Not really a trivia question, though it is. I figured there's no better way to get a quck answer than to ask the Trekkies.

Original Star Trek episode about the two planets engaged in a neat war that the Enterprise and crew got caught in the crossfire. Imaginary weapons were fired, and the computers calculated the casualties and they dutifully walk into the death chambers. Kirk, of course, ends the war by making it messy again, blowing up the master computer on one end of the connection.

TIA, MW

Yes, one of several instances when Kirk made a mockery of the Prime Directive.

Trivia question: what were the other instances?

C

crazyeddie

yevaud":3i261226 said:
Tree of Life apparently couldn't grow on Earth, and so the Pak Protectors all died out without replacement, leaving us breeders to continue on alone. What was the reason Tree of Life couldn't grow here?

If I recall correctly, it needed an abundance of a certain mineral or element in the soil, which is uncommon on Earth.....darned if I can remember what it was, though.

Z

ZenGalacticore

crazyeddie":2xynyvt4 said:
MeteorWayne":2xynyvt4 said:
Not really a trivia question, though it is. I figured there's no better way to get a quck answer than to ask the Trekkies.

Original Star Trek episode about the two planets engaged in a neat war that the Enterprise and crew got caught in the crossfire. Imaginary weapons were fired, and the computers calculated the casualties and they dutifully walk into the death chambers. Kirk, of course, ends the war by making it messy again, blowing up the master computer on one end of the connection.

TIA, MW

Yes, one of several instances when Kirk made a mockery of the Prime Directive.

Trivia question: what were the other instances?

The ep Wayne mentioned was "Something something Armageddon". :)

In "A Piece of the Action", Spock reminds Kirk of the Prime Directive. Kirk replies, "Yes, Mr. Spock. But the PD applies only to normally developing societies." But Kirk was justified because the civ had already been contaminated by the book on Chicago mobsters.

Also, in "Private Little War", the PD issue arose. As well in "Bread and Circuses". But again, in "B&C", the civ had been contaminated by another ship's crew.

C

crazyeddie

ZenGalacticore":30dngpkf said:

In "A Piece of the Action", Spock reminds Kirk of the Prime Directive. Kirk replies, "Yes, Mr. Spock. But the PD applies only to normally developing societies." But Kirk was justified because the civ had already been contaminated by the book on Chicago mobsters.

Also, in "Private Little War", the PD issue arose. As well in "Bread and Circuses". But again, in "B&C", the civ had been contaminated by another ship's crew.

Yes! Those were the three most egregious examples.....there may have been others. What was that episode that involved the civilization modeled on Naziism? Didn't they influence that culture as well?

Y

yevaud

crazyeddie":33102v70 said:
If I recall correctly, it needed an abundance of a certain mineral or element in the soil, which is uncommon on Earth.....darned if I can remember what it was, though.

You got it. The mineral is Thalium Oxide.

Z

ZenGalacticore

crazyeddie":273pe168 said:
Yes! Those were the three most egregious examples.....there may have been others. What was that episode that involved the civilization modeled on Naziism? Didn't they influence that culture as well?

"Patterns of Force", one of 'Heil Zen's' and the "Zenazis" favorites! :lol:

Captain or Commander Gill of a previous starship crew somehow contaminated the civ with Nazism. Gill found the civ in such disarray that he felt the only solution was the "efficiency" of Nazism to bring order to the planet's civ. (If memory serves.)

One of the best scenes is when Kirk and Spock commandeer their respective German and Nazi uniforms. Spock is disquised as a German Regular Army Sargent with a German helmut hiding his ears. ( :lol: ) And Kirk is in the black SS uniform of a Nazi SS Colonel. Spock studies Kirks appearance for a second, and says,

"You make a convincing Nazi, Captain." :lol:

KIRK- "Won-der-ful. Let's go."

S

StarRider1701

crazyeddie":i3k6teau said:
ZenGalacticore":i3k6teau said:

Yes! Those were the three most egregious examples.....there may have been others.

In every instance where they discovered humanoids who were controlled or dominated by a machine, they broke the machine and changed their way of life. "The prime directive only applies to living cultures, Spock. This culture is stagnant..." Kirk said at least once. Heck, they even tricked 3 "gods" into setting thier slaves free and letting them grow as a human culture! When didn't they at least bend the PD, would be the easier question to answer! :lol:

S

StarRider1701

yevaud":3lr4xujp said:
I know what stranded's avatar is, so I won't answer.

Tree of Life apparently couldn't grow on Earth, and so the Pak Protectors all died out without replacement, leaving us breeders to continue on alone. What was the reason Tree of Life couldn't grow here?

I don't know what stranded's avatar is, although he does look awfully familiar...

S

strandedonearth

StarRider1701":2l7osc50 said:
I don't know what stranded's avatar is, although he does look awfully familiar...

Well, he is from one of Niven's books, with that picture inside the cover. Need another hint? He ended up stranded on earth, which is why he's my avatar. :D

C

crazyeddie

strandedonearth":6867q8k1 said:
StarRider1701":6867q8k1 said:

Well, he is from one of Niven's books, with that picture inside the cover. Need another hint? He ended up stranded on earth, which is why he's my avatar. :D

NOW I get it! A Slaver! From World of Ptavvs!

S

strandedonearth

crazyeddie":e7dbkdgm said:
NOW I get it!
That was pretty much my reaction when I read The Mote in God's Eye.

Slaver it is! Or Thrint if you prefer. 1,000,000 quatloos for you!

I'm going to engage the hyperdrive and wind up in another hyperspace-enabled universe. Does the name Grand Admiral Thrawn ring a bell? Great! Name that universe and who or what species killed him? Bonus quatloos for Thrawn's full name!

A

a_lost_packet_

yevaud":21jb0fqt said:
crazyeddie":21jb0fqt said:

You got it. The mineral is Thalium Oxide.

Dangit. And I actually KNEW that one.. I shoulda checked the thread sooner. :)

S

StarRider1701

strandedonearth":3ubuoak4 said:
I'm going to engage the hyperdrive and wind up in another hyperspace-enabled universe. Does the name Grand Admiral Thrawn ring a bell? Great! Name that universe and who or what species killed him? Bonus quatloos for Thrawn's full name!

I'm not sure, but I'm going to take a swing at an answer. The name Grand Admiral Thrawn brought up memories from my old brain of a "road less traveled" situation. We humans took the road less traveled when we invented the first batteries by pouring lemon juice into a pottery jar and stuck a couple of metal wires in it. On every other planet in the Galaxy, this invention took a slightly different form and created ?antigravity? or some kind of starship drive.
Hence spaceships with candles and oil lamps for illumination because they didn't have electricity and flintlock rifles as the hight of modern weaponry. Until Admiral Thrawn landed on Earth... and got his azz royally kicked. He is blamed for giving us horrid, warlike creatures the secret to star drive, plus with our real modern weapons and computer navigation, etc we soon ruled the Galaxy...
Don't remember the author or name of the book, sorry. Hope I'm not too far off the mark.

J

JonClarke

StarRider1701 said:
I'm not sure, but I'm going to take a swing at an answer. The name Grand Admiral Thrawn brought up memories from my old brain of a "road less traveled" situation. We humans took the road less traveled when we invented the first batteries by pouring lemon juice into a pottery jar and stuck a couple of metal wires in it. On every other planet in the Galaxy, this invention took a slightly different form and created ?antigravity? or some kind of starship drive.
Hence spaceships with candles and oil lamps for illumination because they didn't have electricity and flintlock rifles as the hight of modern weaponry. Until Admiral Thrawn landed on Earth... and got his azz royally kicked. He is blamed for giving us horrid, warlike creatures the secret to star drive, plus with our real modern weapons and computer navigation, etc we soon ruled the Galaxy...

I can'tg remember the name of the story either or even whether you are close to the mark. But the story you describe was by Harry Turtledove and it was pretty good. Don't know if it was ever turned into a book though.

S

strandedonearth

StarRider1701":3656711v said:
strandedonearth":3656711v said:

Don't remember the author or name of the book, sorry. Hope I'm not too far off the mark.

Hmm, sounds like an interesting story, but that is not the Thrawn I'm looking for. Move along ;)

H

HRacct

strandedonearth wrote,

Now that was a pretty good series from Star Wars, but it has been a l-o-n-g while since I thought of that one. If memory serves me, and I am having more senior moments as time goes along, he was of the Imperial Fleet Remanent(?), and did battle with Luke and his future bride, Mara Jade. Or maybe better yet, his clones did. I get the two mixed up, and I did have to get refreshed at Wookipedia for details. But those were some good books. His demise had to do with Leia's bodyguards, (I can't spell their name), finding out the truth about the Empire's involvement in their past. But he was a good character to follow. His name is so long, I had to look it up.

I did not realize how many of those books I had read until I saw a list of them, at the time over 60, and I found I had read most of them. I then decided I had invested to much time into that stuff, and quit for long while. But there was some good reading in those series.

Another question, which of Han and Leia's kids had a liking to all things mechancial as a little child, and what happened to him?

There was a series where they visited Han's home world and all naturally got involved in a storyline. But the kids were trying to get a teaching droid to not teach, and they got this child to change its programing, and he melted it's insides and said something like, "he's really melty now!" C3 PO got to play nanny to them, with all the finesse he usually got himself into.

S

StarRider1701

JonClarke":36s659fe said:
I can'tg remember the name of the story either or even whether you are close to the mark. But the story you describe was by Harry Turtledove and it was pretty good. Don't know if it was ever turned into a book though.

I was describing a book I remember reading a long time ago, I no longer remember character names. Never saw this story in any other form. You are right, it was a very good story. Actually, I think it might have been a series of stories.

Ah, so it was a Star Wars thing. I liked the original movie but only saw a few of the others, and not the clone one.

S

strandedonearth

Yes, it is a Star Wars thing, but from the books, not the movies. IMO it's one of the better Star Wars Trilogies, and would make a great movie(s). HR pretty much has it nailed.

Anakin Solo was the mechanical minded of the Solo kids, but I never got into the NJO books

Y

yevaud

OK, here's a couple of tough ones. Though if you get any of them, you too are SF weenies like me. ;)

1. Who is Barliman, and what is his mission?

2. What commander's pet is named after a 20th century military man?

3. What planet does Borloi come from?

4. Name me one of Adzel's hobbies.

H

HRacct

yevaud said:
OK, here's a couple of tough ones. Though if you get any of them, you too are SF weenies like me. ;)

I have the first one, but I won't give the name of the series. I really had to think on it for a while, but did come up with the answer. Barliman Butterbar was the barkeep from the Prancy Pony, where one of our famous heros disappeared on command. Or as another one said, This has the ring of truth. Or does that give it away.

And to think I was going to ask you for some more clues.

Y

yevaud

HRacct":b5t381r0 said:
And to think I was going to ask you for some more clues.

Nope, wrong Barliman. Remember, the answer is in the Science Fiction genre.

S

StarRider1701

yevaud":3nvwh81r said:

2. What commander's pet is named after a 20th century military man?

3. What planet does Borloi come from?

4. Name me one of Adzel's hobbies.

Ok Yev, I admit that my old brain doesn't work as well as it used to! Plus I've read sooooooo many books over the last 4 decades that I don't remember the details.
1. I don't know.
2. My old brain has a slight jingle of recollection, but can't find the answer. But I know I've read it somewhere...
3. Borloi is the main crop of one planet, but I don't remember the name. I beleive it is a drug and it keeps the elite (ruling family?) in power. That's all my old brain can dredge up.
4. It seems I should remember the name Adzel, but I cannot.

How about a small clue - Author's name(s) for each question, please? Let's not forget, Science Fiction is a very large Genre with hundreds of authors and many thousands of books. I'm not quite ready to admit defeat just yet.

Y

yevaud

StarRider1701":1feceadt said:
How about a small clue - Author's name(s) for each question, please? Let's not forget, Science Fiction is a very large Genre with hundreds of authors and many thousands of books. I'm not quite ready to admit defeat just yet.

Well...I'll post the author's names in order, though that will pretty much give it away:

1. Hal Clement
2. David Weber
3. Jerry Pournelle
4. Poul Anderson

H

HRacct

I will have to agree with StarRider when he said the reff. was there, the amounts of books read have clouded the answer. Thanks for the further clue of Barliman.

Because of the people here and their "hard sci/fi" beliefs, I did find a Hal Clement book in my father-in-law's estate. The family gave me most of his sci/fi books, (can't imagine why). But one of them was from Clement and when I read the intro about what a "hard sci/fi" writer was, I just had to read that copy. That title was, The best of Hal Clement, and I do think one of those stories has that character in it. I am now going to look at those stories again, to see if I can find him in it. I know I have seen that name before. Am I close, or still far from the right direction, Yevaud?

I even found in dad's estate a copy of SPACE, by James Michener, for those old timers on this board. I have to admit I haven't read it, but do remember it from the past.

StarRider, in another thread, you made comment something to the order of, get real, it is just writers writing a show. That was when I found out what "hard Sci/fi" was all about. But Hal Clemment is a good writer to read. Well, the stories I have read anyway.

I know I can't write short posts, but if I could, I would like to ask a Physic's question that has to do with "hard" sci/fi. It comes from an intro by Lester del Rey, I think. He commented that Superman could not have jumped to fly into space without causing a equal and opposite reaction in the other way. I was wondering, couldn't he just jump up and then start flying? But I do not want to seem to be "stupid" in thinking about this action, but was just wondering about it.

S

strandedonearth

HRacct":3ufy1iu7 said:
I even found in dad's estate a copy of SPACE, by James Michener, for those old timers on this board. I have to admit I haven't read it, but do remember it from the past.

I enjoyed that book quite a bit, it raised one "what if" for the moon landings and had some other good war tales in it as well. But what came to mind most was a spoof from SCTV or SNL or some such, poking fun at the length of Michener's novels. It was an ad for his latest book Infinity (not a real book) with the tagline "It goes on forever." I tried to find it on Youtube, no luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts