See the hypersonic 'Darkstar' jet from 'Top Gun: Maverick' in person this weekend

Oct 5, 2022
Visit site
The Dark Star certainly appears to be Hollywood's conception of a hypersonic aircraft. Nothing in its design says hypersonic to me. I am not an aerospace engineer, so anyone else have something to say?

I do have an aerospace engineer in my extended family, so I will find time to discuss this with her, and pray she does not laugh me out of the room.

Dana, what would design features need to be like to "say hypersoninc" to you?

To me, with a couple of (ancient) aeronautical engineering degrees but no experience with hypersonic aircraft design, I see big intakes for what I assume are big engines to provide large amounts of thrust, a black body to radiate the heat from atmospheric friction as effectively as possible, and a vey low-drag airframe design. All of that seems plausible for mach 6 and above.

I do not see anything like a movable forebody in the engine intake, that might be needed to optimize the entrance shock waves - but perhaps this plane would use supersonic combustion flow instead of shocking it down to subsonic for fuel combustion.

So far as I know (retired with no security clearance), there is nothing that is going to go as fast as the Hollywood script calls for (>mach 10), but mach 6 seems doable. Skunkworks could surprise me, though.

Oct 5, 2022
Visit site
Aerodynamically it does not seem appreciably different from a Mach 2 airframe. The inlets gave me pause too, but I guess we don't have much idea what might be happening in there. Of course you cannot judge the airframe composition.
I suppose it looked too conventional to me to be a hypersonic aircraft. Thanks for weighing in.

Once you get over the speed of sound, the aerodynamics don't change so drastically as they do in the subsonic-to-supersonic transition (which is what crashed the early attempts to exceed mach 1). In that transition, the center of lift on a wing surface goes from about 1/4 of the way back from the leading edge to the middle of the surface, and that tends to make the craft nose-down. Once the pressures on the surfaces are determined by shock wave patterns, it is more an issue of what angles those shocks have and where they might hit another surface, but you still need lift in about the same place at supersonic and hypersonic speeds. And, of course, the planes need to start and end their flights as subsonic aircraft.

Modern fighter jets are designed to be neutrally stable instead of positive stable in flight, so they can maneuver more flexibly. That comes at the expense of needing a computer to act faster than a human pilot can react to keep then from going awry. Modern jets can climb without pointing the nose up, first, for instance. I expect that computer needs to be faster and smarter for aircraft that get into the "hyper"sonic range.

But, to me, the biggest issue is getting jet engines to operate at those speeds, and also at low enough speeds to take off and land the thing. Supersonic combustion ramjets (SCRAMJETS) are good to have at hypersonic velocity, but not what you want for landing at subsonic velocities.

Latest posts