STS-127 Prelaunch Thread,July 11 7:39 PM EDT

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Re: STS-127 Pre Launch Thread -- June 13 ppd

No, they did not replace the plate, only the seal in the March incident.

It could be a problem with the seal material, or perhaps the plates are imperfect in some way.

B

bobble_bob

Cant see it being a design issue, otherwise why only start being a problem in the last few launch attempts?

D

davf

I made it down to watch the LRO launch... now it looks like I may get to see a Shuttle launch instead... not a bad pre-emption. Although I honestly would have rather seen it go on schedule...

How close to Wednesday can we get before they have to make a decision?

M

MeteorWayne

Well negotions are underway I am sure. The last plan I heard was for both teams to prepare as if they were going to go on Wdnesday. They have to make a decision by later today or early tomorrow I would think, since the range tracking assets need to be set up to support one of the other and it takes 2 days to reconfigure.

My guess is they will decide to let LRO launch; that also gives more time to evaluate a repair plan for the GUCP. The downside is that only leaves one shot for the STS-127 launch next Saturday before they have to stand down until July 11th.

B

bobble_bob

Endeavour's leak is similar to what happened during the first launch attempt of space shuttle Discovery's STS-119 mission in March. Technicians plan to use the same repair method, which led to Discovery's successful launch on its next attempt. Teams are expected to begin changing out seals in the GUCP's internal connection points late this afternoon.

Without a mockup of the GUCP on hand to test, is this the only option they realistically have?

M

MeteorWayne

Yeah, pretty much. And it worked last time just fine.

IIRC, they have engineering models elsewhere, but not at the cape.

B

bobble_bob

Just wondering what they will do for STS-128. Assuming STS - 127 gets up ASAP, then its not going to leave much time to test anything out prior to that launch. Do they go with the GUCP they have, or replace the seals anyway just to be on the safeside, as clearly something is wrong with the current setup

M

MeteorWayne

You can be assured that there will be an intense investigation to get to the root cause before the next launch. Once is an anomaly, twice in 3 launches is a problem.

Perhaps we'll find out the investigative plan at today's news conference after the MMT meeting that starts at 2 PM. Can't really predict when the news conf will be.
MW

M

MeteorWayne

We should find out this afternoon which mission will launch on Wed June 17th...STS-127 or LRO.

M

MeteorWayne

The News Conference is scheduled for 5 PM EDT, about 9 minutes from now...live on NASA TV.

M

MeteorWayne

It is now NET (No Earlier Than) 5:30 PM EDT, about 25 minutes from now....

B

bobble_bob

TBD Monday which goes up on the 17th. Selfishly i hope its not the shuttle, as i wont be home to see the launch

B

bobble_bob

Shuttle has better weather at the weekend, Atlas has better weather on Weds. Might prove a big factor in their decision

Shuttle - 30% NO GO Weds, 20% NO GO weekend
LRO - 40 NO GO Weds, 60% NO GO weekend

Think thats correct. Lots of figures being thrown about

F

frankasper

What are the projected launch times for Wednesday's STS-127; did they say? I leave Wed. eve., so am hoping!

M

MeteorWayne

OK, yes, bbbbb is correct.

The bottom line is that the maximum launch opps for both missions are (assuming all goes well) Shuttle in the early morning of the 17th, then 2 opps for LRO on the 19th and 20th. If the GUCP fails at the same point in the countdown (i.e. end of H2 tanking) it would also allow an LRO opp on the 18th.

The decision need to be made sometime tomorrow late morning; if all goes well, shuttle will launch on the 17th at ~ 5:47 AM EDT.

If it was done in reverse, the LRO launch on the 17th would only allow a single shuttle opp on Saturday the 20th.

However, weather is much more likely to be good at 5 AM (shuttle launch time)than the LRO launch time (late afternoon).

I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow for a final decision.

My gut feeling is that they are aiming toward trying the shuttle launch Wednesday morning, but if there is the slightest hiccup, they will let the LRO launch go as scheduled.

Wayne

M

MeteorWayne

From NASA this morning:

NASA managers are expected to make a final decision by this afternoon about whether to launch space shuttle Endeavour on Wednesday, June 17 or wait until later in the week.

Technicians at NASA's Kennedy Space Center continue to make progress as they work to fix a leak associated with the gaseous hydrogen venting system outside Endeavour's external fuel tank. The leak postponed Endeavour's Saturday morning scheduled launch to the International Space Station. Overnight, teams on Kennedy’s Launch Pad 39A completed changing out internal seals in the Ground Umbilical Carrier Plate, or GUCP, which is attached to the external tank. They’re now in the process of reattaching the vent line. The vent line runs from the GUCP, away from the launch pad to a "flare stack" where excess hydrogen is safely burned off. The reattachment is expected to be completed late tonight.

The earliest the shuttle could be ready for liftoff is June 17, however there is a conflict on that date with the scheduled launch of NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter/Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.

NASA managers are looking to maximize launch opportunities this week for both the shuttle and the LRO/LCROSS missions. If there are no issues with Endeavour’s repair work, the shuttle would attempt to launch on June 17 and LRO/LCROSS would have launch opportunities on June 19 and 20. If Endeavour doesn’t launch on June 17 and LRO/LCROSS launches on that day, the shuttle could make a launch attempt on June 20.

Endeavour's leak is similar to what happened during the first launch attempt of space shuttle Discovery's STS-119 mission in March. Technicians are using the same repair method, which led to Discovery's successful launch on its next attempt.

M

MeteorWayne

Countdown status briefing scheduled for 3 PM EDT on NASA TV.

B

bobble_bob

Launch 17th June :)

M

MeteorWayne

It looks like that will be true, assuming all continues to go well. But I ain't very happy about it. It means that we will not be able to observe the LCROSS impact in October here on the US east coast since it will be daylight. Our 26" scope could have provided spectacular images of the debris plume.

Oh well, as long as something launches on my birthday, I'll get over it. :)

Wayne

B

bobble_bob

Happy Birthday for Wednesday MeteorWayne, just incase im not on here to wish you it then :)

M

MeteorWayne

Thanx, hoist a pint to me! :)

D

davf

MeteorWayne":3cv3us9v said:
Our 26" scope could have provided spectacular images of the debris plume.

Wow! That's a shame but happy birthday anyway!

C

CalliArcale

Happy birthday to Wayne! I'm assuming your birthday is tomorrow, then?

That's too bad about not being able to image the debris plume. :( I would've rather they launch LRO first, since Shuttle launches aren't one-of-a-kind events, and this will reduce the science available to LCROSS. But I know they've got some other considerations on the Shuttle side, mostly the thermal constraints at the ISS that will close their window for a good month if they don't get up soon.

It always comes down to logistics in the end, doesn't it?

Question -- does anybody know what the ground path for the ascent will look like?

M

MeteorWayne

Not sure which you're referring to here, Calli. The STS-127 launch will be a standard 51.6 degree launch up and off the east coast. LRO will launch due east and complete less than 1 full orbit before the lunar burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts