STS-127 Prelaunch Thread,July 11 7:39 PM EDT

Page 6 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newsartist

The STA has been looking at the edges of the weather, and been working low approaches to the strip.

Exactly one hour to launch, counting down toward built in hold at T-9.

M

MeteorWayne

To toggle between the radar sites:

http://www.intellicast.com/national/nex ... imate=true

The close site is Melbourne,FL (with ground clutter), the further away one is Ruskin, FL. they can be selected with the dropdown box near the top.

Reports are that some of the tracking equipment and personnel are covered up to protect themselves from the bad weather at the current time.

T- 12:00 with the final hold at T- 9:00

N

newsartist

Looking better, but I'm nervous about how close they will come to the top of that big cell moving offshore to the north?

25 min remain in the T-9 built in hold. Now RED for lightning, and rain cells inhibit an RTLS scenario.

R

rybanis

Weather is looking pretty dang crappy. Anvil clouds, lightning...the works. Thus the endless recycle continues...

M

MeteorWayne

I suspect they might go for a 48 hour delay and replace the Tyvek covers...depends on the upcoming weather outlook.

Ahhhh, summer in Florida :(

B

bobble_bob

48hr turnaround. Does that mean a shortened mission? What we going to lose off the flightplan?

A

astronaut23

At this rate they are gonna have to roll back to the VAB and try a different tank. At it is I belive this tank is dangerous to fly with. This is now gonna wind up right with the record for number of scrubs and thats back when they didn't care about foam liberation issues.

M

MeteorWayne

The record is 8 scrubs, this was only the 5th for STS-127. Not sure how many of those were tanked though...

Weather Scrub story here from Spaceflightnow.

Looks like next attempt will be on Wednesday 15th July 2009 @ 18:03 HRS EDT.

If Endeavour does not launch on either Wednesday or Thursday of this week, then launch will be delayed until the next attempt on Sunday 26th July 2009.

Below thunderstorms in the area that lead to Sunday's scrub. Looks like there is a Shelf Cloud structure.
2009-3985-m.jpg

Thuderstorm starting to pass over the KSC over the VAB, Sunday 12th July 2009. Looks like there is a Shelf Cloud structure.
2009-3975-m.jpg

Large clouds again on Monday 13th July 2009. Leading to yesterday's scrub.
2009-4011-m.jpg

Thunderstorm definitely moving in: Monday 13th July 2009. Nice Anvil, blooming nuisance though.
2009-4012-m.jpg

Endeavour on Pad 9A with storm clouds brewing. Monday 13th July 2009.
2009-4045-m.jpg

Andrew Brown.

M

MeteorWayne

Well, giving it a go again today. Tanking is almost complete; LH2 is in topping off, past the point where the leaks occurred on June 13 and 17. Launch is scheduled for 6:03 PM EDT (2203 UTC/GMT)

From Commander Mark Polansky:
"On STS-98 I launched 1st time I strapped in. On STS-116, 2nd time I strapped in. Today is 3rd time for STS-127. Hope the pattern holds."

http://twitter.com/Astro_127

M

MeteorWayne

At NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, the countdown to launch of space shuttle Endeavour on its STS-127 has entered a two-hour, 30-minute built-in hold at T-3 hours. This hold will last until 2:08 p.m. EDT.

Tanking operations are complete. with both propellants -- liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen -- now in stable replenish. The loading of the space shuttle's external tank began at 8:38 a.m. and proceeded smoothly throughout the three-hour process.

Weather at Kennedy remains at 60-percent chance for favorable weather for an early-evening liftoff at 6:03 p.m. The primary weather concerns for launch are the potential for showers and thunderstorms near the Shuttle Landing Facility.

Full countdown coverage will begin at 12:30 p.m. on NASA Television and NASA's Launch Blog.

B

bobble_bob

As amazing as the shuttle is, the astronauts must be getting a little fed up of the countdown process now, after 6 times :D

C

clint_dreamer

I would be tired too I think. Just the stress of the launch and then having it scrubbed must take a toll on the body.

R

rybanis

Weather is quickly going to crap. Argh. Lightning advisory, wind advisory...

M

MeteorWayne

Well, the good news is that if it happening now, hopefully by launch time the showers will be well west of the launch complex.

For those that want to watch the weather, see my post at the bottom of page 5 of this thread for some useful links and instructions.

N

newsartist

Hatch closed, White Room closeout in progress, but....

Weather still has several RED conditions.

Instead of moving clear to the west, one cell has stopped and regenerated just northeast of the Cape.

Two hours to go for it to die!

M

MeteorWayne

Weather is improving about 70 minutes before launch.

I'm feeling good here!

N

newsartist

Hi Wayne!

Watch that air mass storm 28 nm to the SW.

It isn't moving, and I think it just strangled itself with its own rain. But, watch it.

Are you here for the launch?

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, I will be monitoring. I am here for about 45 minutes after launch, so will handle the pre/post thread transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts