STS-133 Pre Launch Discussion ( NET Mid Dec)

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Swampcat

Re: STS-133 Pre Launch Discussion (Target Nov 1, 4:33 PM EDT)

shuttle_guy":2hzcsl48 said:
Congratulations !!!!!!!!! The party....well we are not allowed to have official post launch parties now per the Launch Director. This was a result of the loss of Columbia.....I disagreed with this decison but...

We can do a party at my house.
e-mail me at dave996@yahoo.com for directions.

Yeah, I remember you saying something about the official party, but thought I remembered something about unofficial parties.

Anyway, I'll get back to you as the launch date approaches. I'll also keep an eye on the weather and changes to the launch date.

S

shuttle_guy

The AMS-2 payload arrived here at KSC today. The C-5 is on the runway unloading just about 1 1/2 miles from me. This is a 1.5 Billion dollar piece of equipment.

S

shuttle_guy

The processing of the Shuttle Orbiter is nearly complete. It will be ready to roll over to the VAB for stacking on Tuesday next week. The planned roll over is currently Sept 8th.

E

EarthlingX

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com : Picking up the pace for STS-133 – Discovery closes in on September 8 rollover
August 27th, 2010

by Chris Bergin

Despite a late call to install a Tool Stowage Assembly (TSA) – requiring the re-opening of Discovery’s Payload Bay Doors (PLBDs) – rollover remains on track for September 8. With several STS-133 milestones scheduled for September, Space Shuttle Manager (SSP) John Shannon rallied the troops into mirroring the hugely successful pace of 2009 and earlier this year.

J

Jeff_In_Space

NASA at Star Wars Celebration V

Star Wars fans like NASA. Fun video check it out.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF30RR2RdvA[/youtube]

Also another cool Star Wars/NASA video with Star Wars Celebrities:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPJ1WL5ZThc[/youtube]

Peace,
Jeff :!: :D :!:

E

EarthlingX

www.nasa.gov : Shuttle Discovery on the move
Thu, 09 Sep 2010 11:09:32 UTC

Space Shuttle Discovery began its move from Kennedy Space Center's Orbiter Processing Facility-3 to the Vehicle Assembly Building at 6:54 a.m. EDT.

The vehicle will stop for several hours during its move for an employee photo opportunity. Rollover is expected to be complete by approximately 11:30 a.m.

Discovery Heading to Vehicle Assembly Building

Image above: Space shuttle Discovery was taken out of its processing hangar Thursday morning for a move over to the Vehicle Assembly Building where it will be connected to its external tank and two solid rocket boosters for launch. Liftoff is targeted for Nov. 1 on the STS-133 mission. Photo credit: NASA

It is currently live on NASA TV

E

EarthlingX

http://www.spaceflightnow.com : Discovery rolls toward November launch (Photoreport)
BY STEPHEN CLARK

Posted: September 9, 2010

The shuttle Discovery rolled a few hundred yards Thursday from its hangar to the Vehicle Assembly Building. The orbiter departed the processing facility shortly before 7 a.m. EDT, paused for a few hours for photos, then arrived inside the VAB just before 11 a.m.

Discovery is being readied for its final launch Nov. 1 to the International Space Station.

Photo credit: Stephen Clark/Spaceflight Now

01.jpg

E

EarthlingX

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com : STS-133: Discovery rolls over to VAB following eventful OPF flow
September 9th, 2010

by Chris Bergin

15961_single.jpg

Following a one day delay – due to a burst water main at the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) – Discovery has made her way over to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB), riding on top of the Orbiter Transporter System (OTS). Rollover began on time at 6:55am Eastern, departing her Orbiter Processing Facility (OPF-3) for the final time of during a flight processing flow.

M

MeteorWayne

Boy, she is looking old eh?

E

EarthlingX

MeteorWayne":sngu7ajj said:
Only better with years, more charm ;)

Z

Zipi

MeteorWayne":1wld1qq9 said:

She just needs a new paint job or good scrubbing with soap water & brush + vax. ;)

E

EarthlingX

http://www.spaceflightnow.com : Discovery goes vertical inside VAB
BY STEPHEN CLARK

Posted: September 9, 2010

Hours after workers rolled the spaceplane into the Vehicle Assembly Building, the shuttle Discovery was lifted from its transporter and rotated upright inside the heart of the massive structure.

A heavy-duty crane hoisted Discovery just after 6 p.m. EDT Thursday and moved the shuttle vertical about an hour later.

On Friday morning, NASA planned to hoist the shuttle high into the VAB's transfer aisle and over into High Bay 3 to meet a waiting external fuel tank and twin solid rocket boosters.

Discovery is being readied for its final launch Nov. 1 to the International Space Station.

Photo credit: Stephen Clark/Spaceflight Now

E

EarthlingX

spaceflightnow.com : Discovery attachment to tank delayed by bolt problem
BY WILLIAM HARWOOD
STORY WRITTEN FOR CBS NEWS "SPACE PLACE" & USED WITH PERMISSION

Posted: September 10, 2010
Updated: 2:45pm EDT (1845 GMT)

Engineers attaching the shuttle Discovery to its external fuel tank ran into problems Friday when an internal nut used to attach a separation bolt to the belly of the orbiter slipped out of position. Re-positioning the mis-aligned nut will require access to the shuttle's aft engine compartment, officials said, but it is not yet clear whether that can be done with Discovery in a vertical orientation not yet firmly attached to its external tank.

A NASA spokesman said the problem occurred as engineers were attaching the left-side main separation bolt, part of the system used to ensure the shuttle separates from its external tank after reaching orbit.

"The nut on the shuttle side of things basically fell out of reach and they're not able to physically get at this nut at the moment," the spokesman said. "We already had a soft mate. We're at the point where hard mate is on hold temporarily while the engineers meet about this."

Engineers initially worried Discovery would have to be removed from the tank and placed back in a horizontal orientation to make repairs. But they later concluded they could safely open the aft compartment, set up access platforms and reposition the nut with Discovery in its current vertical and partially mated orientation. An afternoon meeting was ordered to review that plan and to make sure safety guidelines would not be violated.

Live video on STS-133 Mission Status Center

Amazing updates EarthlingX.

Lovely shot here from Jen Scheer of Discovery being rolled out to the VAB. Halo around the Sun in the background in the cirrostratus ice cloud layer. :shock:

On NASA Image of the Day Gallery.

Should be on APOD too. :)

Andrew Brown.

E

EarthlingX

Thanks Andrew, it was a pleasure :)

There are many more pretty pictures in
mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov : Kennedy Media Gallery
You will probably have to set time interval between 2010.Sept.07 and 2010.Sept.10. Here is just a teaser ;) :

More details about repairs :

www.nasaspaceflight.com : STS-133: Engineers conducting repair on Discovery following ET mate issue
September 10th, 2010 by Chris Bergin

15975_single.jpg

Discovery has suffered from a setback during mating operations between the orbiter and her External Tank (ET-137), when an internal nut – prepositioned inside the aft compartment of the orbiter – became loose and moved out of position, negating the possibility of installing a flight structural bolt. Engineers are attempting to access the area to conduct a repair.

Thanks EarthlingX,

More great stuff from you as always!!!!!! :D

I like these too as well as the ones you posted.

Time lapse of Discovery being hoisted to the vertical for STS 133.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjLAqVYkhpE[/youtube]

STS 133 Discovery crew inspect flight hardware.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25IIvOoX4k4[/youtube]

Andrew Brown.

E

EarthlingX

Very nice choice of images Andrew, as usual :p

I'm glad you took time for the videos too, very nice :cool:

Some latest news :

www.cbsnews.com : Shuttle Discovery bolted to external tank; roll out stays on schedule
09/11/2010 12:17 PM

mate1.jpg

The shuttle Discovery, being lowered into position for attachment to its external tank and boosters. (Photo: NASA)

Engineers successfully re-positioned a wayward nut in the shuttle Discovery's aft engine compartment and finished bolting the orbiter to its external fuel tank early Saturday, keeping the ship on track for roll out to pad 39A Sept. 20 and launch on the ship's 39th and final mission Nov. 1.

That work was completed early Saturday and the ship was "hard mated" to the tank at 9:27 a.m. EDT.

E

EarthlingX

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com : STS-133: Discovery still tracking Monday rollout after T-0 bolt progress
September 17th, 2010

by Chris Bergin

16030_single.jpg

Discovery is not one to go quietly into the night, as engineers work through the second large issue to be suffered during the veteran orbiter’s final visit to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB). Damage to a T-0 umbilical bolt is close to being resolved, thanks to the skills of her engineering teams, which will allow the STS-133 stack to roll out to Pad 39A on Monday.

E

EarthlingX

spaceflightnow.com : STS-133 Countdown Timeline
COMPILED BY WILLIAM HARWOOD

Updated: September 17, 2010

The launch window is roughly 10 minutes long. To maximize ascent performance, NASA targets the middle of the window. A final hold in the countdown at the T-minus nine-minute mark will be extended as required to hit the desired launch time.

NOTE: The following timeline is based on a summary countdown chart. A detailed barchart has not yet been generated. All hold times are correct as shown, as are all launch-day events. The timing of some earlier events are "guesstimates" and may change.

S

shuttle_guy

The vehicle is eady t roll out to the pad starting at 2000 hrs local on Monday. It should be hard down at the pad by around 0400 Tuesday.

E

EarthlingX

Thanks for the update shuttle_guy :cool:

I just noticed, Nov. 2nd will be exactly 10 years since the 1st crew on the ISS :

Wiki : Expedition 1
Expedition 1, or Expedition One, was the first long-duration stay on the International Space Station (ISS). It began when the crew docked to the station on 2 November 2000 at 4:21 a.m. EST, aboard the non-re-usable Russian spacecraft Soyuz TM-31, which launched two days earlier.

K

Kevin311

Hi,

Can anybody give me some advice on how bad the traffic gets after a launch?

I want to watch the launch from Titusville so that we will get to hear the sound as well as getting a good view but we have a flight back to the UK leaving Orlando International Airport at 20:50 in the evening. The latest I dare arrive at the airport is 18:50 which will give us approximately just over 2 hours to do the trip which normally can be done in an hour. Is this going to be possibe? How bad do the roads get after a launch?

Any advice would be great because I don't want to miss out on this chance in a lifetime for my kids and I.

Regards

Kevin

shuttle_guy":996rbf06 said:
The vehicle is eady t roll out to the pad starting at 2000 hrs local on Monday. It should be hard down at the pad by around 0400 Tuesday.

Thanks shuttle_guy,

Hopefully it goes well, hopoefully they'll be some nice photos, a shuttle roll out is always highly photogenic. :mrgreen:

Looks like the stack inspection went very well. :D

STS 133 Discovery Stack Inspection in progress below.

Love this one from the roll out of STS 132 Atlantis. Hope we get something like this of Discovery!!!!!

Hi Kevin311,

I was a guest of shuttle_guy at the launch of STS 132 Atlantis, hopefully will be back for STS 134 Endeavour & Mars Science Laboratory Curiority launches.

I was quite surprised at how quickly the roads appeared to be moving. Unlike the UK, the traffic appeared more organised, better lane discipline, etc. Shuttle_guy will give you a better answer, but yes, as soon as Discovery launches & disappears over the Atlantic, you MUST start heading back to Orlando International Airport.

BTW, where in the UK are you?? I am in Ashford, Kent. Who are you flying with?? We went (Mum & myself) with Virgin Atlantic from London Gatwick Airport.

Andrew Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.