Feature This week's community question is about wormholes!

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2021
Visit site
Wormholes are for worms! I’m wondering if wormholes are temporary portals ? Are they natural or created? Are they visible to the human eye? Questions from me who knows nothing about wormholes.

Reactions: Catastrophe
Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
I love the idea of how wormholes spark my imagination. The other side of the wormhole may not just be about what we see out there, but also where and when. On the other side, I might find myself on a different part of the universe, or a completely alternate universe or even the possibility of traveling to a different time.
I should prefer that forums like this would be reserved to less speculative arguments.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
tiape
"As far as transferring information, the folds of our brain are similar in function to the wormhole."

I am aware that folds of the brain increase the area possible within a given volume, and thus increase the possibilities of storage.

As far as transferring information information is concerned, I am not aware of anything other than wild speculation and vivid imagination.

Are you? Have you even any proof for wormholes?

Cat :)

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
There is no proof or evidence of the existence of wormholes. When and if such objects will be detected, we could start a serious debate on their nature and properties, but for now this argument would take place only in science fiction.

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
I have understood and I'm glad to interact with someone capable to drow a boundary between real science and bad science-fiction.
Unfortunately, these forums are often polluted by posts of little stupid nerds supporters of strong artificial intelligence, technical singularity or other pseudoscientific concepts.
This seems to me much better, because gives the possibility to make real scientific discussion, and there is a science fiction section in which SF literature, movies and TV series can be discussed apart.

Feb 25, 2021
Visit site
L9D24k8.jpg

Hiya, folks :) Here we are with yet another Community Question! This time around...I'm thinking we go ahead and test our imagination even further.

Nearly all space enthusiasts have, at some point, been fascinated by the noble wormhole. Honestly, who wouldn't be? It's a mysterious, spectacular phenomena that has frequently tested the limits of astrophysics. So, I want to know, if it was possible to pass through a wormhole safely and you were given the opportunity to do so...what would you expect to see on the other side?

I'm embarrassed to say that there's a part of my brain that insists I'd find myself in the same universe, but hundreds of years in the past. It seems the cartoons I saw as a child (and one Physics teacher who tolerated my incessant questions) have allowed that idea to stick to my brain!

How about you? What would you expect to see on the other side of a wormhole?

And remember, we'll be featuring some of our favourite answers on the weekly community round-up!
Wormholes r fun, though gotta say wormhole battles are even more intense!

Jun 8, 2020
Visit site
L9D24k8.jpg

Hiya, folks :) Here we are with yet another Community Question! This time around...I'm thinking we go ahead and test our imagination even further.

Nearly all space enthusiasts have, at some point, been fascinated by the noble wormhole. Honestly, who wouldn't be? It's a mysterious, spectacular phenomena that has frequently tested the limits of astrophysics. So, I want to know, if it was possible to pass through a wormhole safely and you were given the opportunity to do so...what would you expect to see on the other side?

I'm embarrassed to say that there's a part of my brain that insists I'd find myself in the same universe, but hundreds of years in the past. It seems the cartoons I saw as a child (and one Physics teacher who tolerated my incessant questions) have allowed that idea to stick to my brain!

And remember, we'll be featuring some of our favourite answers on the weekly community round-up!
I would suspect the chance of landing someplace inhabitable to be slim, pretty good chance to end up on the moon, no air, no food, of course the lack of food would not be noticed as soon as you noticed no air. If you were lucky to end up someplace were you could live, your money would look like play money to the people there!

Mar 13, 2021
Visit site
It truly must be a way to travel through space without the negative effects of time. Not in my lifetime or not in your lifetime; however, sometime in the future this real mystery will be traveled and reported to be a supernatural event that will be witnessed by all those that find space to the final frontier of knowledge and mystery.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Perhaps the best way to describe travel through wormholes is to think of oneself passing through a sausage maker. The bits tied up in sausages at the end may bear little structural resemblance to the input, other than average chemical analysis.

D

Deleted member 1114977

Readers may be interested to see how Feynman was wrong about electrons being time reversed positions...a basis for the persistent myth in sci-fi and so called serious physics that time travel is justified by [wrong] concepts of time symmetry in particle physics . See the following:
The Theory of Positrons*

Cheers
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
From the wormhole myth:

Abstract
Wormholes [Einstein-Rosen Bridges] are an artificial construction arising from the misuse and overexertion of space-time concepts.

Very concisely put.

Good definition. Remember that Einstein said "the time is what we measure with a clock".
This is consistent with the absence of this variable in the Wheeler-De Witt equation and with the assumpts of the trope theory that our apparently dynamic universe can emerge from a static together of properties.
This regards both space-time and mass-energy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1114977

Thank you for your help! Lets try this:
The Theory of Positrons* Feynman's proposal that a positron can be a time reversed electron is shown to be a false artifact arising from using space-time diagrams incorrectly. Implications for the nature of time are discussed. V9.7
The abstract for this is:
Space-time diagrams have been in use for over 100 years and have misled the physics world about time. These space-time diagrams apparently originating with Minkowski in 1908 have had widespread misuses and abuses by scientists leading to persistent fallacies about time. It is proved here that time reversal is a false artifact from using space-time diagrams incorrectly. Space diagrams or causal networks eliminate time paradoxes and are more appropriate for cause and effect mapping of particle interactions with the use of Feynman diagrams. Implications for time reversal, time travel, arrows of time, and space-time diagrams are discussed. The nature of the vacuum as 'space' and Feynman Clock nodes used in the construction of causal networks are discussed. Quantum gravity as a property of the vacuum is illustrated. missing or dark mass and energy are seen to be properties of the vacuum. Black holes and their function as vacuum phenomena are demonstrated along with their physical limitations at the Planck length scale.

NOTE: If you are looking for the missing mass and energy locally, look no further than your body which is 99.9999999% Empty Space or the vacuum and its components described here.

This article is on Researchgate.
I hope this helps!
Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your help! Lets try this:
The Theory of Positrons* Feynman's proposal that a positron can be a time reversed electron is shown to be a false artifact arising from using space-time diagrams incorrectly. Implications for the nature of time are discussed. V9.7
The abstract for this is:
Space-time diagrams have been in use for over 100 years and have misled the physics world about time. These space-time diagrams apparently originating with Minkowski in 1908 have had widespread misuses and abuses by scientists leading to persistent fallacies about time. It is proved here that time reversal is a false artifact from using space-time diagrams incorrectly. Space diagrams or causal networks eliminate time paradoxes and are more appropriate for cause and effect mapping of particle interactions with the use of Feynman diagrams. Implications for time reversal, time travel, arrows of time, and space-time diagrams are discussed. The nature of the vacuum as 'space' and Feynman Clock nodes used in the construction of causal networks are discussed. Quantum gravity as a property of the vacuum is illustrated. missing or dark mass and energy are seen to be properties of the vacuum. Black holes and their function as vacuum phenomena are demonstrated along with their physical limitations at the Planck length scale.

NOTE: If you are looking for the missing mass and energy locally, look no further than your body which is 99.9999999% Empty Space or the vacuum and its components described here.

This article is on Researchgate.
I hope this helps!
Cheers,
The trope theory also eliminates causality as fundamental, because it depends from time, that is an emerging property. Causal networks are only artifacts resulting when a group of static properties is observed in a certain way.

L9D24k8.jpg

Check out the song Cygnus X1 Book 1 off of the Rush album A Farewell to Kings, and Book 2 Hemispheres off of the album of the same name. Be sure to have the lyrics handy so you can really see (hear) what's happening in the songs.

I believe NASA gave Rush an award back in the 80s for promoting space flight.

Although it has nothing to do with black holes, also be sure to check out 2112, the first song on the album of the same name. It's their breakthrough album, science fiction themed. Again, be sure to have the lyrics, and if you can find them be sure to read the LP liner notes as they explain a lot.
I swear, it will be the fastest 20 minutes of your life.

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
To me a wormhole(s) seems to be a "path through the woods as compared to the path around the woods". Thus traveling through a wormhole means the traveler stays in the present, ages normally and arrives at a destination in the present sooner. However, if travel through a wormhole is greater than 50% the speed of light, biology slows, time dilates , space-time warps. This raises the scary prospect of going back in time and meeting one's ex-wife and mother-in-law or going forward in time and having the ex-wife and mother-in-law waiting with a court order. Given such uncertainty, it does seem sensible to avoid wormholes until more is definitely known.
Rather than go off the deep end why not look at the theory of worm holes. Nobody has proven they actually exist. The concept is a math model which may or may not exist. in real life. The problem is to actually use a wormhole one has to get around the gravity effects which would normally squeeze you to a non dimensional point source which would ruin your day. Your thought experiment assumes the wormhole has a dimension in time. If the wormhole exists it may simply be a non dimensional door which you step through assuming you get around the squeeze. What is actually interesting is not wormholes but entanglement which has been shown to exist. The teleport machine may be just over the horizon.

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
Well the question isn't really able to have a concise accurate answer without applying some grounding in the laws of physics. The main point I wanted to express is that there is research showing that wormholes don't give a free ride through space and not time it looks like they lead into the future and do so slower than the speed of causality so it seems fairly comparable to hyper ultra relativistic space travel where the length has been contracted towards near zero time has similarly been dilated to such an extent that the universe around you rushes by conserving causality.
There is no actual research, what you have is a math model which based on assumptions does x rather than y. Nobody has observed an actual wormhole and for the near future say 100 years most likely will not unless some huge breakthroughs in a lot of fields occur.

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
Hey, fellas!! K here goes my first anwer..
9iy8m3D9hLsJQNfaszJx8k.jpg

Well in my opinion a wormhole is a speculative structure linking disparate points in spacetime and is based on a special solution of the Einstein field equations.
A wormhole can be visualized as a tunnel with two ends at separate points in spacetime (i.e., different locations, or different points in time, or both).
Now arises another question: Are black holes and wormholes just the same thing?
I mean its natural to get curious, so here's an answer to this question from my perspective...
From the outside, wormholes can appear similar to black holes. But while an object that falls into a black hole is trapped there, something that falls into a wormhole could traverse through it to the other side.
Another difference, no evidence has been found that wormholes exist whereas black holes have clear proof evidence of their existence. Wormholes are believed to be mostly fictional, but who knows someone might just figure it out...
Thanks for taking your precious time to read my article.

Here is a video and an interesting experiment for you folks to enjoy:
Scientists Claim to Have Created a Magnetic Worm ...www.labroots.com › trending › chemistry-and-physics › s...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kxKTX_GH4k&authuser=0
Nice pictures but they do not actually represent our current understanding of black holes. Black holes are a pin point non dimensional source of gravity with zero actual size in this universe per current PC math. That of course begs the question is what is gravity. That math has a number of problems including entanglement which is not addressed in the models you give as examples. Your pictures are mostly artist ideas of the possible event horizons. The gravity horizon is the point at which the object is falling into the point source black hole at the speed of light and hence per the current PC math cannot get out unless the current PC theory that blackholes decay over time is correct and they turn into white holes bleeding the energy back into the universe. The life of the black hole per some math models depends on the mass of the black hole which begs the question of what exactly is time. That event horizon varies depending on the mass of the black hole. All this is a bunch of math which may or may not represent reality. Since nobody has observed a black hole or a worm hole up close and only black holes from outside the event horizon over a very short observation time the math will mostly likely change as or if we get better observations of the objects.

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
A year ago October when Alphabet announced their Sycamore quantum computer, scientists at JPL said that quantum computers will be the key to unlocking either Miguel Alcubierre's Warp Drive or wormholes by the end of this century. Or, both? Stay tuned.
You do realize that was simply a marketing gimmick to keep the money flowing in until the actually start selling a quantum computer.

Jan 25, 2020
Visit site
L9D24k8.jpg

Not even sure there are wormholes in the way people think. I don't think an actual infinity can exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts