venus

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fallingstar1971

Could someone recommend a good color filter for Venus viewing?

I tried some afocal astrophotography tonight, and through the eyepiece Venus looks like a half-moon. But when I try to shoot a photo, it ends up over exposed.

I would like to know what the ideal filter would be. Even though it may be small in the eyepiece, I can blow it up with photoshop if , and only if, I can find the right filter. As it stands now, there is simply too much light. Is too bright.......

So, any help would be appreciated,, Thank you in advance

Star

M

MeteorWayne

My advice would be to:
Take a shorter exposure

or

Shoot it earlier before the sky gets dark. Then there's less contast between the planet and the background.

Wayne

C

crazyeddie

Fallingstar1971":12e8kbds said:
Could someone recommend a good color filter for Venus viewing?

I tried some afocal astrophotography tonight, and through the eyepiece Venus looks like a half-moon. But when I try to shoot a photo, it ends up over exposed.

I would like to know what the ideal filter would be. Even though it may be small in the eyepiece, I can blow it up with photoshop if , and only if, I can find the right filter. As it stands now, there is simply too much light. Is too bright.......

So, any help would be appreciated,, Thank you in advance

Star

Probably a neutral density filter or a polarizing filter would be best, but almost any filter will help cut down the light. A UV filter might tease out some subtle detail in the clouds.

G

garacorleone

when is the best time to see Venus? and by the way, i see one very bright star on western sky! and its very near the moon, do you know which star is it?? help me :\ :roll:

M

MeteorWayne

It is probably what you are seeing in the western sky after sunset.

The crescent moon is closest to Venus tonight, then Mars tomorrow night, and Saturn the next night.

C

crazyeddie

garacorleone":2r6ukpo2 said:
when is the best time to see Venus? and by the way, i see one very bright star on western sky! and its very near the moon, do you know which star is it?? help me :\ :roll:

That is indeed Venus. You can't miss it!

G

garacorleone

so it was venus?? :D yeah i surprised when i saw it, very brilliance! :eek:

G

garacorleone

MeteorWayne":2lasth41 said:
It is probably what you are seeing in the western sky after sunset.

The crescent moon is closest to Venus tonight, then Mars tomorrow night, and Saturn the next night.

but as i've installed stellarium and looked based on it, i see venus is quite far from the moon tonight? hm its just pretty confusing to differentiate it among so many stars :\

M

MeteorWayne

Better check your date settings.

For me in NJ, Venus is about 5 degrees from the moon after sunset tonight...that's about half the width of your fist held at arms length.

Depending of course on where you live, it may a little bit further, but that's pretty close in the sky.

G

garacorleone

MeteorWayne":2o9b3egj said:
Better check your date settings.

For me in NJ, Venus is about 5 degrees from the moon after sunset tonight...that's about half the width of your fist held at arms length.

Depending of course on where you live, it may a little bit further, but that's pretty close in the sky.

oh my God, i just realized that my stellarium was about on 17 september! haha, uh sorry and thanks a lot for the info :) i set it up and that's exactly just like what you've said :)) thank you, i wont miss the next two nights! :lol:

G

garacorleone

im from indonesia :) hm okay so thanks a lot, anyway where should i ask questions in this forum, cause there are many topics in it. im just afraid if i can't found topics which my questions related to.

M

MeteorWayne

Well, I'd suggest doing a little reading to get a feel for what questions go where. It's also a good way to understand the Community.

If you're not sure, post them here, and if they need to be moved, I will do that for you.

Wayne

G

garacorleone

this morning at 8:32 am, i saw a star on the western sky. it was reddish/orange and brilliance. and that was the first time i see star in the morning. was that Jupiter??? :? thanks a lot :)

M

MeteorWayne

Probably was Jupiter, which is white, perhaps it was the morning humidity reddening it. It is far and away the brightest object in that part of the sky at this time (Mag -2.6), and due west for you. To the left and a little lower, and way dimmer is Formanlhut, the brightest star in Pisces Austrinus (Mag +1.5), and above that and futher to the left is Achernar at Mag +0.4, the brightest star in Eridanus.

Wayne

G

garacorleone

it amazed me so much, yeay cause this is my first time. so the magnitude is showing the brightness? hmm i got it! thanks :)

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, the magnitude scale works backwards. The dimmest stars are ~ +6 or +5, depending on how dark your sky is, the stars get brighter toward mag +1 and zero, the brightest star is Sirius at Mag -1.4. The planets can get brighter, right now Jupiter is mag -2.6, Venus can get as bright as mag -4.5. The full moon is mag -12, and the sun in mag -26.

MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts