Would you volunteer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pioneer0333

Would you volunteer to embark on a life long voyage thru the Milkyway Galaxy?<br /><br /> Remember now that you will never see home again. You will never see your family, friends, or anything thing of Earth ever thing. But in return you will see all that the galaxy has to offer.<br /><br /> Think about it. <br /><br /> Me, I would do it in half a heart beat!!! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bbrock

No -- Even at the speed of light I woulden't get far. Most of the galaxy woulden't look any different then it does from earth, even if I lived to be 1000 years old, much less 100 years old. <br /><br />Clear Skies<br />Bill

R

rodrunner79

I'd do it only and only if there were two blondes aboard.

I

igorsboss

How ironic it is that BBrock, as in Beeblebrock, as in Zaphod, would miss his chance to Hitchhike the Galaxy... how utterly... improbable!

N

newtonian

Pioneer - No now, perhaps yes much later.<br /><br />The earth is a beautiful spaceship and is journeying through the Milky Way.<br /><br />I doubt humans will be able to create anything coming close to earth in the foreseeable future.<br /><br />As a whole the heavens have not been created for man to live - to explore, however, is another matter.<br /><br />If Jehovah (God) directed the appeal for volunteers, then my answer would be yes - with my wife of course.<br /><br />However, right now that is not the case. Rather:<br /><br />(Psalm 115:16) . . .As regards the heavens, to Jehovah the heavens belong, But the earth he has given to the sons of men. . .<br /><br />We have not been invited to the heavens and mankind in general is ruining the earth.<br /><br />Would you enter another's property uninvited?<br /><br />Actually, those of my faith do this all the time, as friends and out of love for our neighbor - and most neighbors appreciate this (in my neck of the woods.<br /><br />Unless there is a no trespassing sign.<br /><br />God has not put a no trespassing sign or directed us <br />"Do not enter." <br /><br />I do not know how God feels about human space exploration. I do know how God feels about man ruining this earth (See Revelation 11:18).<br /><br />Right now I think it would be more appropriate to volunteer to help clean up this earth, which is a precious gift from God to mankind and should be cherished and cared for.

T

treva00023

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Would you volunteer to embark on a life long voyage thru the Milkyway Galaxy?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />No, The galaxy is far too big to be explored in one lifetime

X

xmo1

Isn't that why people become astronomers. They can watch the universe as much as they want, and never leave home. That way you get the best of both worlds. There is something to say for living on Earth. Remember that Earth is flying through space at roughly a million miles an hour with the Milky Way, which accounts for most of the speed. If you were to rocket away from Earth you would just be going in a different direction. Why not go with the rest of us? We have been pretty lucky so far; have a great atmosphere, are protected from some of the deadly radiation found in open space, and our communications systems are the best anywhere. Why go anywhere? It's all right here. You are along for the ride, and no one is going to ask you for a ticket. Oh, and you don't need to wear a space suit. That's the best. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>DenniSys.com</p> </div>

X

xmo1

There is a book you should read. It's called the Territorial Imperative by Charles Darwin. There's also a subject called Anthropology which you might like. Together they will keep you from getting a rash that you really don't want, and you will be protecting a few innocent women and children. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>DenniSys.com</p> </div>

N

newtonian

xmo1 - My point exactly - what a beautiful spaceship we are on!<br /><br />We are certainly going in an interesting direction. <br /><br />I am referring to the motion of Milky Way towards Andromeda (or vice versa).<br /><br />Your speed is, I assume, relative to Milky Way.<br /><br />What is Milky Way's speed relative to Andromeda?<br /><br />Ditto relative to the Great Attractor?<br /><br />

N

newtonian

Pioneer0333 - What direction would you like to travel in?<br /><br />What speed do you think it would be feasable to attain in said spaceship?<br /><br />Say, for example, by ion drive.<br /><br />You all - feel free to enlighten me.

D

discovery_fan

I would volunteer for a one-way Mars or Moon Mission (seriously. That would top everything I did before, so its ok for me if it is the last thing I do...).<br />That means I would volunteer for a life-long trans-milkyway mission any day.<br />The chances are however very remote that they will ever choose a space fan from austria to be on an actual mission... <br />But if someone ever looks for a volunteer - count me in!

M

mpai

The chances are however very remote that they will ever choose a space fan from austria to be on an actual mission... <SNIP><br /><br />Not unless you have loads of cash, say $20 million and more discovery_fan. The Russians would be only too keen to send you to space. Maybe later, they might even issue a stamp in your name, like they did for those dogs they sent. LOL<br /><br />Think it over<br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.