Are Arachnids from Starship Troopers real?

Do you think Arachnids is that are in Starship troopers are real or made belief?

• Yes they are

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I guess so

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • ummm..

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I don't like bugs much

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iamlegend697

Ever since i watched Starship troopers, (the first episode), I have always been wondering if there were bugs in distant planets that are actually smarter that us humans. Do they fly, do they shoot spores out spores to distant planets just like the show? I'd like to hear your comments. and remember, we aren't the only intelligent species out there.

I

iamlegend697

Everyone is welcome to post any comment they like. Just don't put to much swearing in it :mrgreen:

M

MeteorWayne

No, and your poll is worthless since you consider science fiction to be real. :roll:

D

dryson

Another sentient life form could possible evolve to be the size the archnids with a brain bug at the center. Look at how colonies of ants live, they have one queen that relays her orders through the transferance of information via the touching of antennea's that cause a stimili in the ants brain to occur.

A species such as this could have evovled on another planet thus making it the dominant life on the planet.

S

StarRider1701

MeteorWayne":3eh94cun said:
No, and your poll is worthless since you consider science fiction to be real. :roll:

No Meteor, his pole is worthless because it asks two questions in one sentece - are they real or not?
then he makes you answer yes or no! Are we answering - yes they're real or yes they're not real?

Only stupid people think science fiction is worthless or not real. Yesterdays SciFi is todays technology. Don't beleive me, read some older Heinlein sometime. Science Fiction is how we dream - until some bright young mind comes along and figures out how to make that thing they saw on an old Star Trek episode! or read in an SF novel. etc.

C

crazyeddie

Do you think Arachnids is that are in Starship troopers are real or made belief?

I'm more interested in knowing if YOU think the Arachnids in "Starship Troopers" are real............ ;)

It might have been better to start this thread with something that sounded a little less nutty, such as, "are intelligent, insect-like life forms possible?"

S

StarRider1701

It might have been better to start this thread with something that sounded a little less nutty, such as, "are intelligent, insect-like life forms possible?"[/quote]

It's a big Universe. If it is possible, then its probably out there somewhere.

J

junkheap

I've always wondered if a planet somewhere in the universe has something like chocobos. :D

C

Cpickens89

junkheap":3smhzdfj said:
I've always wondered if a planet somewhere in the universe has something like chocobos. :D

lol my inner nerd wants this too

but i dont think to many around here know what they are :D

A

andrew_t1000

I hope they are not real!
From watching the movies, (second one is crap!) and playing the game, you really need BIGGER GUNS!
Seriously, when half a squad has to empty 2 mags into 1 bug, just to cut its legs off, you really need more firepower!
The game gets a little frustrating at times!

A

a_lost_packet_

iamlegend697":2b5mq5ny said:
Ever since i watched Starship troopers, (the first episode), I have always been wondering if there were bugs in distant planets that are actually smarter that us humans. Do they fly, do they shoot spores out spores to distant planets just like the show? I'd like to hear your comments. and remember, we aren't the only intelligent species out there.

Are there intelligent "bugs" out there? Well, maybe things that could look like bugs. But, that doesn't mean that they're just like bugs on Earth nor does it mean they're like the bugs in Starship Troopers.

The only answer is "I don't know." It's possible they exist.

Would they be able to shoot out giant radioactive exploding spores from their butts? Uh... doubtful. That's just movie effects. The anatomy involved and the giant burritoes necessary to generate that much intestinal gut-gas would be phenomenal.. (Others may argue in an infinite universe, it's possible... but, it's a nonsensical argument from this perspective)

One thing to note: Exoskeletons are pretty darn efficient. I would not be surprised if an intelligent species possessed some form of an exoskeleton.

Z

ZenGalacticore

We have no idea what's out there. The Universe could be over flowing with life for all we know to date. Or it could be that Earth-like planets are extremely rare jewels.

But insects here on Earth are the animals that truly dominate the planet, and I don't think most biologists would disagree. And they are highly efficient, not only in their physical structure, but in their behavior. Especially the social insects, ants, bees, termites, etc. So I don't see why a model similar to insects here couldn't happen similarly elsewhere, given the number of stars and planets in our Galaxy alone.

That's why I loved, relished, the original 'Alien' flick. It was so, well, alien, even though the drones were rather humanoid in their structure and locomotion. But not so much in the sequel with the Alien Queen. Given the vastness of the Universe, something existing at least similar to "Alien" is not only not out of the question, it's probable. (Nothing exactly like the 'Alien', mind you, just something similar, and just as horrific.)

E

Eman_3

Starship Troopers was a book that also became a Hollywood movie. Both are pieces of fiction.

Fiction, as in make-believe. Not real, imaginary.

D

doom_shepherd

Fiction isn't real.

And "Starship Troopers" was an awful, terrible butchering of a great book. I blow my snot in Verhoeven's general direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts