Introduce yourself! (And show us your swag)

Page 10 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Sep 21, 2023
Visit site
Well where do I start... my name is Josh but I go by JD. im a huge nerd, geek what ever you wanna labe it lol. I love almost all the various Field of science, I've always been passionate about space, and the ocean. The fact we know so little of both fascinates me. I used to be super involved with different forms and groups when I was younger but got kinda pushed out of it for a while, I'm now trying to jump back into the online society and what better place to do so then somewhere where everyone is passionate and has a deep love for science and space.

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Hey space fans! I'm Kim and I'm the reference editor for Space.com. I'm a general science and space nerd. Feel free to ask me anything, and if I don't know the answer I will probably know where to find it :)

I don't have a whole lot of space swag, but my uncle retired from the Johnson Space Center a few years ago (he's an aerospace engineer and built parts for the ISS!), and he used to give everyone in my family NASA T-shirts for Christmas, so I have a pretty decent collection. Here's a ridiculous picture of me sporting an Apollo 11 shirt this summer on the 50th anniversary of the moon landing.

sS5DjeD.jpg
Hi - so fun to meet another whose space things reach back to childhood! Happy Holiday!

I am Ellen and my Father did things for NASA in the 60s - and his hand helped fashion the gold foil we see on the Lunar Lander. I work in arts and am finally getting to do the Aero/Astral art that inspired me lifelong. In fact, my Dad , before the space event, kept the secrets as we made and shared the crushed aluminum foil 3-D star , lighted and very large that reigned over our home every Christmas as from Bethlehem. People came from all over the area to see that star and no one knew that it was a CLUE - a promise of the much fancier crushed foils to come! So nice to be here hope I can stay.

Reactions: Helio and billslugg
Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Hi folks, Stevie here!

Wanted to pop in and say hello to you fine people! I’m one of your new Community Managers. My background is in Scifi online games, I’ve been working with CCP Games on EVE Online and off since 2007. I was also part of the launch team and CM for VR rift launch title EVE: Valkyrie, worked with Star Citizen at UK meets and Insomnia Gaming Festival, which is a fun gaming event here in the UK.

In my spare time I enjoy streaming games, watching scifi and collecting supergirl merch. I’m also an ambassador for SpecialEffect, the gamers charity. SpecialEffect work with people with disabilities, developing controller set-ups, eye tracking tech and working with developers on accessibility in games (which is also a passion of mine).

I’m really looking forward to working on these forums, and chatting about Space and sci-fi in its many forms. I really enjoy working with passionate communities, and am 'over the moon' (Lol) to be able to be working with you folks.

Feel free to reply with anything you’d like me to know about you! If you wanna reply with your coolest bit of Space Swag, that would be awesome!

This is me in my Space Industries NASA jacket, which I love more then anything.

uZLSUMY.jpg

Fly Safe,
Stevie
newbie here - officially :-D Please give me the link to make my first post "introduce yourself" I do not see any such link here. My Father did for NASA and I have hoped to find intelligent and inspiring chat here.

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Hi - so fun to meet others some of whose whose space things reach back to childhood! Happy Holiday to all !

I am Ellen and my Father did things for NASA in the 60s - and his hand helped fashion the gold foil we see on the Lunar Lander. I work in arts and am finally getting to do the Aero/Astral art that inspired me lifelong. I studied Astronomy a bit in college under NASA's well-known Phil Stern, but my life with my beautiful husband was Wellcome chemistry and the later Human Genome was their claim to fame.

Both are passed away and I am studying and making the astral art and learning new things daily...hope you can feel like commenting helpfully here.

Reactions: 6!9t!m3593cktr4m
Nov 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi folks, Stevie here!

Wanted to pop in and say hello to you fine people! I’m one of your new Community Managers. My background is in Scifi online games, I’ve been working with CCP Games on EVE Online and off since 2007. I was also part of the launch team and CM for VR rift launch title EVE: Valkyrie, worked with Star Citizen at UK meets and Insomnia Gaming Festival, which is a fun gaming event here in the UK.

In my spare time I enjoy streaming games, watching scifi and collecting supergirl merch. I’m also an ambassador for SpecialEffect, the gamers charity. SpecialEffect work with people with disabilities, developing controller set-ups, eye tracking tech and working with developers on accessibility in games (which is also a passion of mine).

I’m really looking forward to working on these forums, and chatting about Space and sci-fi in its many forms. I really enjoy working with passionate communities, and am 'over the moon' (Lol) to be able to be working with you folks.

Feel free to reply with anything you’d like me to know about you! If you wanna reply with your coolest bit of Space Swag, that would be awesome!

This is me in my Space Industries NASA jacket, which I love more then anything.

uZLSUMY.jpg

Fly Safe,
Stevie
Hi Stevie,
I am a bit lost here. Actually I seem to have joined a long time ago, but it seems to have got swamped by other activities plus the sheer fire-hose of Internet traffic.
I have however intermittently read Space articles and many are very good. Maybe I'll get into the swing here.
Part of my problem is that I am a retired biologist/computer consultant, so that I do not get my hands deeply into Space related topics. However, it has been a field of great interest and importance to me since childhood, so I have come up with some thoughts on related topics.
I have posted essays at the following addresses; I post the links here with a clear conscience, as they are posted without any direct or indirect commercial or publicity interest, so uninterested parties need not get interested, and interested parties need not worry about their time or money.

That one is my take on panspermia, a topic on which my background is of relevance, and which is on the short list of topics that need technical and logical perspective.

That one is not so relevant to Space, but Space is relevant to it, and accordingly to all humanity

That is a well-worn topic, but I think that aspects and approaches that I mention are a bit out of phase with the usual hand-waving.

That one deals with a sample of the reason why humanity needs to think in a larger perspective, or perish in its own midden.

That one was in reaction to the hen-witted idea of mining Luna for He-3, and how to improve on it.

For the rest, there seems to be good stuff in the forums, but I struggle to find how to add threads etc. No doubt that will pass...

All the best,
Jon

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Hi all, I'm Ranjit reddy, from a land of vibrant culture. i have a clear understanding of software development . i work in a software development company in bangalore the IT hub of india. welcome to bangalore

Mod Edit - Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 26, 2023
Visit site
Why does Space.com use a word that doesn't exist? There is no such word as "aircrafts."
The word aircraft is both singular and plural, period.
Your site comes off as appearing somewhat ignorant of the English language.

Michael Gaff Chattanooga

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
Hello, my name is Randall. For the past two decades I have worked in spaceflight supporting testing of spacecraft and spaceflight instruments. Over the course of that time I have worked a number of programs/missions including Orion, Mars 2020, Kepler (K2), Landsat 8, Soumi NPP, JPSS 1 & 2, WorldView 2 & 3, and New Horizons among others. Perhaps the highlight of my career is spending nearly a decade working JWST supporting thermal vacuum testing of the primary mirror segments, the secondary mirror, the Aft Optics Subsystem which houses the tertiary mirror and fine steering mirror, the actuators which control each mirror segment, and the electronics boxes which control the actuators. I joined this forum in the hopes of connecting with like-minded individuals and sharing our passion for all things space...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hello, my name is Randall. For the past two decades I have worked in spaceflight supporting testing of spacecraft and spaceflight instruments. Over the course of that time I have worked a number of programs/missions including Orion, Mars 2020, Kepler (K2), Landsat 8, Soumi NPP, JPSS 1 & 2, WorldView 2 & 3, and New Horizons among others. Perhaps the highlight of my career is spending nearly a decade working JWST supporting thermal vacuum testing of the primary mirror segments, the secondary mirror, the Aft Optics Subsystem which houses the tertiary mirror and fine steering mirror, the actuators which control each mirror segment, and the electronics boxes which control the actuators. I joined this forum in the hopes of connecting with like-minded individuals and sharing our passion for all things space...
Welcome to Space!

Jan 13, 2024
Visit site
HI all...a bit long in the tooth but I have been interested in space since sitting with my dad on our porch, looking for Sputnik to pass overhead in the night sky (not realizing until much later the implication that our DEW Line had just been neutered. 2nd grade wanting to be an astronaut. The "X Planes", Mercury. Gemini, Apollo...I watched them all..much in black and white. The beyond awesomeness of the first space shuttle launch (and the later tragedies). And now...the reawakening.
Forbidden Planet, Original Star Trek and all that followed, Star Wars (at a drive in with my wife to be now of 50 years)
Now a 45+ year retired engineer
So glad to meet you all!

HI all...a bit long in the tooth but I have been interested in space since sitting with my dad on our porch, looking for Sputnik to pass overhead in the night sky (not realizing until much later the implication that our DEW Line had just been neutered. 2nd grade wanting to be an astronaut. The "X Planes", Mercury. Gemini, Apollo...I watched them all..much in black and white. The beyond awesomeness of the first space shuttle launch (and the later tragedies). And now...the reawakening.
Forbidden Planet, Original Star Trek and all that followed, Star Wars (at a drive in with my wife to be now of 50 years)
Now a 45+ year retired engineer
So glad to meet you all!
Welcome to Space, I am also about your age. I remember when Sputnik went up and the adults were very concerned. I didn't see it, but did see Echo a few years later.

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
Hey. I'm Al. I'm 46 and from the UK. I guess I've always been interested in space exploration. One of my first memories is the Challenger disaster in '86. I love looking at the stars and thinking 'what if?'

Of course, being terrestrial-bound I've only been able to explore the fantasy of space-flight. I'm a huge sci-fi nerd. Iain M. Banks is my favourite author and Star Wars in my favourite movie universe. I'm a Trekkie too. You can like Star Wars AND Star Trek, ya know?

My main hobby is gaming. I'm a PC Gamer first and foremost and enjoy strategy games over any other genre. Most looking forward to the release of Homworld 3.

So that's me. Hi!

I am Joshua Zev Levin, Ph.D. I am primarily interested in earthbound MagLev, but am interested in Space, too.

Some colleagues of mine have devised an electric MagLev space-launch system call StarTram, that should be much cheaper than chemical rockets.

Reactions: billslugg
Feb 8, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

my name is Jon Stronach Humphreys.

I find Space stuff interesting, sometimes. I suppose everything is Space Wheely! 📀

What blows my mind about Space is that it must compress and expand indefinitely. No matter how small we go, we can always go smaller. Seems impossible and BHs! Wit they aw aboot?

I tried to calculate using my brain what shape a BH would be but I'm not sure really. I think I determined that if a BH is a point in Space that is completely occupied with matter. Hey! Dig this... Which is impossible... I gather. Lost my train of thought. Was being silly again sorry.

Then wouldn't the surface of a BH, constantly be in flux. Like waves because any matter consumed by the BH cannot be distributed evenly like a sphere. No more room for extra consumed matter to occupy. Unless the matter drops directly into the core, and expands like a balloon 🎈 😅 I don't think so because how can more matter travel through already maximum condensed matter. Shirley that is Impossible!

I prefer my theory that it is a bit like The Blob and is all messed up on the surface. Sounds cooler. Like the topography of the surface is kinda gooey and slimey and it reaches out with dark tentacles and consumes stuff. I bet I'm right! A BH is basically just like a Dark Star and it gives off Hawking Radiation.

So wouldn't that mean the EH is slightly different at each coord of the surface? Instead of being absolute. I am not sure if this has already been considered 🤔 😅 😳

If so please do not sue...

Back to tiny stuff... sorry my brain hurts a bit now. How does a BH eat Photons? If they have no mass? I am so confused 😕

I thought only matter can be pulled by gravity... maybe a BH is like an Eye Ball. There is a specific point like the pupil that light can travel through. 🤔 Where is it? It is just one big pupil? Or maybe it aligns with the light in order to consume it fully. Maybe a BH is sentient. If that is the right word. ✅

Anyway enough about Space Stuff for now... anyone on here like to party? 🥳

I'm sure you must be impressed with my brain powers of imagination. I am not the brightest but I try my best. Sometimes. I can be a lazy boy. 😴

Thank You

Jon Stronach Humphreys mwi 🤪

Gravity is caused by mass. Matter is one form of mass, energy is another. Even photons have mass. Photons can attract each other due to gravity as long as they are not traveling in a parallel path. Then they see each other as at rest. A photon at rest has no energy thus no mass.

Feb 8, 2024
Visit site
Thanks, this is getting complicated. Still fun to ponder. Do you think Photons swirl around a BH like a sink hole? Then the EH is a definite point in Space... except it is a bit like a long cone shaped hole with a tiny opening that everything goes into like the thing you put icing on cakes with. 🎂😋

All the stuff gets squished through a tiny point in space. Like there is a specific point where the matter injects into the BH. That would take forever. They gobble matter too fast for that. Unless the force of squishing is so immense it eats matter at a speed faster than light... possibly. 🤔

Sorry I have a lot of questions. I don't understand a lot of things and it bugs me.

Thank You,

JSH

Everything is drawn towards the black hole. However, nothing is aimed directly at its center, thus has angular momentum which results in it traveling in orbits. However there cannot be many things in crossing orbits thus everything bangs into one another until they settle out at a disc that represents the average angular momentum of the entire group of particles. Much momentum is lost to heat. At the inner edge of the acretion disc, material is drawn out of orbit down onto the event horizon and into the black hole. Since the material is highly ionized and traveling in orbit around an equator, a dipole magnetic field is set up via the dynamo effect. The "suction" of the black hole creates immense pressures just above the event horizon. Plasma cannot cross magnetic field lines thus the only outlets are where the magnetic field lines are parallel - the north pole and the south pole. This axis is usually angularly offset from the spin axis thus making a beam of expelled particles that sweeps the sky creating a pulsar.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024
Visit site
Everything is drawn towards the black hole. However, noting is aimed directly at its center, thus has angular momentum which results in it traveling in orbits. However there cannot be many things in crossing orbits thus everything bangs into one another until they settle out at a disc that represents the average angular momentum of the entire group of particles. Much momentum is lost to heat. At the inner edge of the acretion disc, material is drawn out of orbit down onto the event horizon and into the black hole. Since the material is highly ionized and traveling in orbit around an equator, a dipole magnetic field is set up via the dynamo effect. The "suction" of the black hole creates immense pressures just above the event horizon. Plasma cannot cross magnetic field lines thus the only outlets are where the magnetic field lines are parallel - the north pole and the south pole. This axis is usually angularly offset from the spin axis thus making a beam of expelled particles that sweeps the sky creating a pulsar.
Thanks Billslugg you are cool and smart. I think I understand. You have a neat way of explaining BHs.

I was picturing matter as a bit like the Tron bikes going in a spiral formation after colliding, then like in the original film where they turn at 90 degrees straight into BH. Most of my knowledge comes from films. I find it difficult to read and focus. My brain seems to drift a lot.

Reactions: billslugg

Latest posts