Introduce yourself! (And show us your swag)

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
NASA more then likely would know something is coming unless they were asleep at their jobs again. :D

Bandits out of the Sun, as they said in WWII movies.

Was it not only a decade or so ago that we had two close asteroids in one 24 hour period?
As I remember it, one was only seen after it was already gone by - a bandit asteroid!

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
Bandits out of the Sun, as they said in WWII movies.

Was it not only a decade or so ago that we had two close asteroids in one 24 hour period?
As I remember it, one was only seen after it was already gone by - a bandit asteroid!

I haven't watched a WWII movie but I have been in a war. :D

Yes I think I recall that. I vaguely remember NASA apologizing about something or they did or didn't do something.

tariqmalik

Editor-in-Chief
Space.com Editorial
Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
Hey, Space Fans!

I'm Tariq Malik, Editor-in-Chief, and I've been part of Space.com since 2001.

I originally started as an intern in Sept. 2001, then joined as a Staff Writer in 2004 and became Managing Editor in 2009. Last May (in 2019), I took on the Editor-in-Chief role. It's been an amazing run, for sure.

Some background: I studied Print Journalism and Astronomy (minor) at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, as well as a Masters in Science Writing from the SHERP program at New York University.

I have been a space fan since I was a kid and that story about going to Space Camp 5 times? Yup, it's true. Also, that thing about being an Eagle Scout, too.

I do love Star Trek, Star Wars and just about all science fiction games, books, TV, movies ... all the things. In terms of space swag pics, my office is a mess but here's some snapshots from the road when I'm out covering all the space for you to read!

zqZNfd4PQq6fyKxa2o9LTA

67209602_2359577327464369_7097062208256868352_o.jpg

32294662_1718386958250079_1534687184609607680_o.jpg

43574658_1921596511262455_4174185200659464192_o.jpg

Reactions: sward
Mar 2, 2020
Visit site
Space buff since 1961. Amateur astronomer. Former telescope operator at Mt. Wilson Observatory near Los Angeles California. Currently residing in Phoenix Arizona. I have been posting in astronomy and space forums since 1991, starting with sci.space.history on the Usenet (the precursor to the internet).

Reactions: Dianad and sward
Mar 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi all!

My name is Tim and I'm a retired Naval Officer and current federal employee.

I never worked with NASA directly, but I have strong family ties. My recently deceased uncle was a frogman who joined NASA out of the Navy in the late 1950s. He became an engineer during his time there (GI Bill) and had some really cool jobs. The coolest job was as one of the divers that jumped from the helos when the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo capsules splashed down to assist in getting the astronauts in the rafts and to secure the capsule to the helicopter to lift it back to the carrier. While giving my family a tour of the Johnson Space Center, he introduced me to many of the original astronauts and into the famous Mission Control facility. I was 7 or 8 years old at the time, and 50+ years ago, so I don't remember it as well as I'd like, but I do remember the excitement of meeting my childhood heroes!

His daughter, my cousin, became a liaison officer between the US and Russian space programs; she spent a lot of time traveling back and forth to the Cosmodrome.

Through them, primarily my uncle, I became a space nerd. I work now with the Wallops Island Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport (MARS) on improving how they deliver rocket boosters and other components to the site.

Jem

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
I'm gonna make this short haha I'm Jeremy and I have an interest in space just wanting to learn the most I can about it. that's it in a nutshell.

Reactions: sward

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Hi all!

My name is Tim and I'm a retired Naval Officer and current federal employee.

I never worked with NASA directly, but I have strong family ties. My recently deceased uncle was a frogman who joined NASA out of the Navy in the late 1950s. He became an engineer during his time there (GI Bill) and had some really cool jobs. The coolest job was as one of the divers that jumped from the helos when the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo capsules splashed down to assist in getting the astronauts in the rafts and to secure the capsule to the helicopter to lift it back to the carrier. While giving my family a tour of the Johnson Space Center, he introduced me to many of the original astronauts and into the famous Mission Control facility. I was 7 or 8 years old at the time, and 50+ years ago, so I don't remember it as well as I'd like, but I do remember the excitement of meeting my childhood heroes!

His daughter, my cousin, became a liaison officer between the US and Russian space programs; she spent a lot of time traveling back and forth to the Cosmodrome.

Through them, primarily my uncle, I became a space nerd. I work now with the Wallops Island Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport (MARS) on improving how they deliver rocket boosters and other components to the site.
Hi Tim
Nice to have some new young blood (I am 80). I spend my leisure on everything from 'before' the big bang to rocks we now walk on. In short, everything from the 'start' to where it has led us so far. Enjoy yourself here! :) Cat

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
Well, this is exciting.

Hello. I am Yevaud.

As with Mental_Avenger, I am one of Space Dot Coms original members and was a Moderator there for over six years. There right from the beginning; there the literal last day the boards were online.

The original message boards were a unique place and a unique experience, an internet pioneer of "science for the everyman." That they have returned after all of these years is truly a great thing, and I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone. As my name implies, I am a matrian snake. I'm very happy to be here. :)

I spend most of my time studying in university and generally doing matrian snakey things. My most prized possession is my Gene Kranz-approved NASA vest, but I hope to add more swag in the future.

M. Snake

Reactions: Yevaud
Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone. As my name implies, I am a matrian snake. I'm very happy to be here. :)

I spend most of my time studying in university and generally doing matrian snakey things. My most prized possession is my Gene Kranz-approved NASA vest, but I hope to add more swag in the future.

M. Snake

"Matrian snake...Matrian snake...you make my guts...quiver and shake."

(Disclaimer - these are very old SDC in-jokes)

Last edited:
Reactions: Matrian Snake
Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi folks, Stevie here!

Wanted to pop in and say hello to you fine people! I’m one of your new Community Managers. My background is in Scifi online games, I’ve been working with CCP Games on EVE Online and off since 2007. I was also part of the launch team and CM for VR rift launch title EVE: Valkyrie, worked with Star Citizen at UK meets and Insomnia Gaming Festival, which is a fun gaming event here in the UK.

In my spare time I enjoy streaming games, watching scifi and collecting supergirl merch. I’m also an ambassador for SpecialEffect, the gamers charity. SpecialEffect work with people with disabilities, developing controller set-ups, eye tracking tech and working with developers on accessibility in games (which is also a passion of mine).

I’m really looking forward to working on these forums, and chatting about Space and sci-fi in its many forms. I really enjoy working with passionate communities, and am 'over the moon' (Lol) to be able to be working with you folks.

Feel free to reply with anything you’d like me to know about you! If you wanna reply with your coolest bit of Space Swag, that would be awesome!

This is me in my Space Industries NASA jacket, which I love more then anything.

uZLSUMY.jpg

Fly Safe,
Stevie
My name is Robert Montemurno. I am 73 years old and I am a member of the health science community here in New Jersey. I was in private practice for 40 years in orthodontics and have been teaching at Rutgers School of Dentistry for the last 15 years. I consider myself a space advocate, and I am interested in all the sciences, as they still to this day inspire me. I especially love astronomy and follow the scientific findings of Hubble and the many space telescopes making discoveries at different electromagnetic wavelengths. I am hoping I live long enough to see the scientific discoveries from the James Webb and the 20-meter Telescope! Opposition to the TMT has been strong, so I want to ask a question: Concerning the 30 Meter Telescope.......has anyone thought to ask the native Hawaiians in opposition, if the 30 meter Telescope could replace one (or two) that exists there now? I'm sure this was done, but, if not, it would at least open further discussion on the subject of placing the TMT where it is desired...

Mar 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello from UK! I'm an old forager, I've had a presence on the Internet since 1999 with a free for life non-profit website that's still up although the massive (joke) capacity is full and I don't do any updates. I helped to save a very old earthwork and the woodlands that surround it using the website. I also began another website about Mars because I found things that surprised me in NASA Curiosity images e.g. http://www.afterzen.co.uk/images/glaze_wipe_line.jpg and http://www.afterzen.co.uk/images/shard.jpg I'm busy with family and have many interests which spreads things a bit thin sometimes, so things like maintaining a website tend to get shoved aside and I more often spend any time I have spare in places like this one where there's interesting interaction.
I use Linux and built my computer from scraps and have an hons degree in Digging, well archaeology and prehistory and I'm able to take on new ideas providing I can scrutinise them for myself.
Anyhow Im happy to be here.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Greetings and salutations,

I am a denizen of the third rock from the star, Sol, in an out of the way corner of the Milky Way galaxy. Long time tech geek and astronomer "wannabe".

I am one of the newest members of the Space Moderation team (but a long time moderator at Tom's Hardware and Tom's Guide). If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact me directly.

WOO HOO!!!

COLGeek

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
hello, i come from belgium, i'm Arnaud,my passion for astronomy goes back to when I was 9, I’m 30 now.
I do both visual and astrophotography( with a nikon d5300 on star adventurer where with my 80ed on motorized eq5) and visually with my dobson 300mm.

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Hello,
This is Star Lord. I have an interest in space which has been with me for several years. I just recently found out about Space.com and I really like it. I am excited to learn more about space with others who have the same passion as I do.

Sincerely,
Star Lord

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi! I am Gary, AKA Fisherman-12. When it comes to knowledge, I am an omnivore. I devour everything. In the eighth grade during study hall, I read the entire Encyclopedia Britanica from A to Z, I was introduced to Science Fiction in 1961 by Mrs. George Stevens, my English teacher at Rincon High in Tucson, Arizona. She had a cart loaded with paperbacks from which we could borrow. I was introduced to Heinlein, Bradly, Silverburg and others. I read every SciFi book on her cart and became a life long fan/addict. In my early days, I would finish a new book in a day or two. I bought and read thousands of books which I finally gave to the local library for them to share with the community. Now I take several days or weeks to finish a new book, I have a huge library on my Android phone and will open Kindle and read whenever I have to wait somewhere. I subscribe to BookBub and their news letter usually has one or two freebees that I can download from Amazon Kindle and often when I go there, I find more free books or other reasonably priced books of interest. As you can imagine I have used BB to build an extensive library which I can carry in my pocket.
Which sciences am I interested in? All of them. I have subscribed to SA, PopSci, New Scientist, and other science related publications for many years. And I usually read each magazine cover to cover. I have never really specialized except for medicine which I studied long enough to earn my nursing degree. I am retired now and follow whatever interests me at the moment. AKA, everything. I have a broad knowledge in many fields, Jack of all trades but master of few. One of these days I will figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kassinni
Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
I am Susan. I wish I had more time to study with you. I'm taking an English MA at the moment. I am trying to become an author and screenplay writer. I think you need a good ol' movie about everything that happened so far. I'm talking about when they stole all my work in astronomy and philosophy. I could not believe it! The judge said my case against the thieves had no value in his court. That was because they were filthy rich. I wish I knew whether I will ever be put back together.

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Howdy, everyone. I have been on the Space Coast since 1994. I ran the county's tourism office for 24 years and am a big fan of NASA and the people who work there. I retired in 2014 and spend my time shooting photography and hanging out with our grandchildren.

Space Tourism is going to be big here these coming years and I know NASA is going to play an integral part in keeping this future mega business safe and running. This is an exciting time for the Space Coast, Central Florida, and the tourism industry.

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, thanks for welcoming me, i love anything about space! especially things i can see from my back yard on a clear night. My wife thought i was weird for sitting out one night just to see the space station fly over. lol i had to tell her the difference from aircraft and orbiting objects, little hard to explain unless you can see the marker lights of the aircraft. hope to learn and see more, from central california. troy

Reactions: IG2007 and Dreckly

Latest posts