LHC offline until July...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

<p>It was reported in the Dec 11 Nature that the LHC will not restart before July 2009.</p><p>Repairs will cost up to 35 million Swiss Francs ($29 million) and will require 53 magnets to be removed from the tunnel for inspection and repair.</p><p>They will also install new diagnostics and additional safety systems to avoid a reoccurrence.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

O

origin

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It was reported in the Dec 11 Nature that the LHC will not restart before July 2009.Repairs will cost up to 35 million Swiss Francs ($29 million) and will require 53 magnets to be removed from the tunnel for inspection and repair.They will also install new diagnostics and additional safety systems to avoid a reoccurrence. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />DANG!</p><p>Looking forward to July...</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>DANG!Looking forward to July... <br /> Posted by origin</DIV></p><p>We can always look to the Hubble Space Telescope as a parallel.&nbsp; An unknown flaw puts it out of service, it gets fixed and ultimately gives us science we've neve seen before.&nbsp; I'm actually glad it happened early instead of next summer when it would be just getting warmed up (or cooled down depending on your perspective) and ready to utilize it's full potential... THEN break down.&nbsp; I don't believe they had many experiments planned till next year anyway.&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>We can always look to the Hubble Space Telescope as a parallel.&nbsp; An unknown flaw puts it out of service, it gets fixed and ultimately gives us science we've neve seen before.&nbsp; I'm actually glad it happened early instead of next summer when it would be just getting warmed up (or cooled down depending on your perspective) and ready to utilize it's full potential... THEN break down.&nbsp; I don't believe they had many experiments planned till next year anyway.&nbsp; <br />Posted by derekmcd</DIV></p><p>There is nothing time critical about the LHC experiments.&nbsp; The particles will be the same in July or August&nbsp; as they would be now.&nbsp; And in any case it will take quite a while after the actual collisions for them to be evaluated, analyzed and any conclusion drawn&nbsp; These experiments result in massive amounts of data, most of it not particularly exciting, and an lot of statistical analysis to pull signals from the noise.&nbsp; No pretty pictures like the Hubble.&nbsp;Just lots of hard work to figure out what the data really means.&nbsp; If a Higgs particle shows up it will not be equipped with an identifying license plate.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>There is nothing time critical about the LHC experiments.&nbsp; The particles will be the same in July or August&nbsp; as they would be now.&nbsp; And in any case it will take quite a while after the actual collisions for them to be evaluated, analyzed and any conclusion drawn&nbsp; These experiments result in massive amounts of data, most of it not particularly exciting, and an lot of statistical analysis to pull signals from the noise.&nbsp; No pretty pictures like the Hubble.&nbsp;Just lots of hard work to figure out what the data really means.&nbsp; If a Higgs particle shows up it will not be equipped with an identifying license plate. <br /> Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>Indeed.&nbsp; The network they've set up to analyze the data is quite impressive.&nbsp; If anyone ever questions the usefulness of the technologies coming out of CERN, they should just close their web browser to see their effects. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

O

origin

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Indeed.&nbsp; The network they've set up to analyze the data is quite impressive.&nbsp; If anyone ever questions the usefulness of the technologies coming out of CERN, they should just close their web browser to see their effects. <br />Posted by derekmcd</DIV><br /><br />I know it doesn't matter if it starts tomorrow or July but I am kinda like a kid waiting for Christmas I can't wait for colliderclaus to come. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.