Most Football Fans and Most Commentators Misspeak

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mental_avenger

It was amazing!! All through the Vikings/Saints game the announcers and everyone else mispronounced Brett Favre’s name. They continued to pronounce his name as though it was F-A-R-V-E. It isn’t. It is pronounced Fáv. The ‘r’ is not pronounced, and the “a” is pronounced as the “a” in father. This was pointed out in an interview with Brett’s father.

This is not advanced English, this is grade school stuff. I probably learned this in the third grade. How is it that so many people get it wrong all the time? Aren’t there any educated people in the sports industry? Do most of the fans follow the ignorant sportscasters blindly?

Geez. No wonder we are considered poorly educated compared to many other countries.

K

Kerberos

Re: Most Football Fans and Most Commentators Are Ignorant

No, it's pronounced like this. :)

M

mental_avenger

Perhaps it is pronounced that way by some ignorant fool on YouTube, but that is not the correct pronunciation.

[edited title]

B

baulten

Re: Most Football Fans and Most Commentators Are Ignorant

I think the real question is how does HE pronounce it? If he pronounces it FARVE, then it's settled. I don't care if that makes him an idiot; a lot of names are pronounced oddly. But if he doesn't, then, yes, you're right.

... Then again to enjoy a sport like football you've already gotta be a little ignorant... ;)

M

mental_avenger

Brett was referring to what others were saying about him.

Wisconsin's Pronunciation Guide

Understand that when people pronounce Favre as "Far -Ve," it is a linguistic phenomenon called "metathesis." Metathesis occurs when two neighboring sounds in a word switch places.

Metathesis is a controversial linguistic phenomenon. Some linguists believe metathesis is primarily the result of speech errors and childrens' talk, and is not a regular process. Other linguists believe metathesis can be a regularly occurring process of phonology that affects only a small number of words or forms in a particular language.

If the phenomenon of metathesis is removed from the phonological equation, the name Favre should be pronounced "Fav-Re."
How to Pronounce Brett Favre's Last Name

C

cosmictraveler

Anytime I put on a sports show I ALWAYS turn off the sound, that way I can enjoy what is actually happening and not have to listen to all of the crap those "commentators" have to say. If something happens that I need to know more about I will put the volume back on again until I find out what I need to know then back to silence once again. I actually enjoy the games better since I've been doing this and even put soime music on as well.

D

dragon04

If you're talking about the NFL Quarterback, it's pronounced Far-ve, ( r before v)so the commentators and most fans pronounce his name correctly.

What a great game. And the Saints go to the Super Bowl for the first time.

A

abq_farside

dragon04":1r2y4pwx said:
If you're talking about the NFL Quarterback, it's pronounced Far-ve, ( r before v)so the commentators and most fans pronounce his name correctly.

Great game indeed. I have always heard it pronounced as you stated Dragon. I guess I am in the mass of the ignorants but who really cares other than the OP.

Z

ZenGalacticore

So which is it? "Fave" or "Farve"?

I hear not just sportscasters, but many newscasters and others misspeak all the time. For example, Mr. "big words" himself, Dennis Miller, a guy who used to look up obscure and esoteric words to use in his comedy routines in order to sound intelligent, said the word "guillotine" while pronouncing the "L".

It's pronounced "ghee-a-teen". I had to laugh because he tries to be so smug and above his audience, or used to.

And I've heard others say 'coup de gras' while pronouncing the 's'.

But hey, when it comes to many "Sportscasters", well, many of them aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. One time, I was watching a Braves game in the playoffs in mid October. It was a chilly night out. Tom Glavine hit a single, and a gopher brought him a jacket. One of the commentators said, "Well that jacket is going to ****** his ability to run fast to second base."

Hey dumbass!! He's the pitcher! He's trying to keep his arm warm! Hello!!!!!!!! And you're a baseball announcer?

D

dragon04

abq_farside":1pc4winu said:
dragon04":1pc4winu said:

Great game indeed. I have always heard it pronounced as you stated Dragon. I guess I am in the mass of the ignorants but who really cares other than the OP.

I'm rooting for the Saints. I think the Super Bowl may end up being won by the team that has the ball last. I'd surelynot expect a low scoring affair. Shootouts are cool. :)

B

blackee

New way to pronounce his name: LOOSER!! :lol: Just kidding. Don't crusify me. Half way through the 4th quarter I felt like he desrved to win. The Saints Defense beat him up all game and he was still making plays. What a guy. GO SAINTS!!!!!

M

mental_avenger

dragon04":113gpan9 said:
Wrong. Just because most people mispronounce it, does not make it correct. The correct pronunciation is shown by the two links I provided above.

"If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." Anatole France

B

baulten

mental_avenger":68gja6tv said:
dragon04":68gja6tv said:
Wrong. Just because most people mispronounce it, does not make it correct. The correct pronunciation is shown by the two links I provided above.

"If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." Anatole France

I have never, ever heard it pronounced any other way, including by the man himself. Again, names DO NOT follow convential pronounciation. Arguing about the pronunciation of names is just foolish.

B

brandbll

abq_farside":1b0rhejy said:
dragon04":1b0rhejy said:

I don't know why anyone would get so hung up on 1 person's last name. If it wasn't the way everyone is saying it Brett Favre would have corrected this a long time ago. Not to mention every single football commentator is given a pronunciation guide with each players name, so the commentators aren't mispeaking, they are saying it as they are told to say it. So either A. he likes the way people pronunciate it, or B. that's the way you say his name. Either way, who really cares? People pronounce Notre Dame differently. Besides, these are names, people pronounce names wrong all the time. It's better than John Kerry and some others on the east coast saying "Ideer" instead of "idea". Or people in Iowa saying "warsh" in stead of "wash."

Ma, i think you must watch too much TV or something. First you say it's a sign of moral decay in our society because of AFV, and now your saying we are considered a poorly educated country because of the way people pronounce Brett Favre's name. Sheesh...

A

abq_farside

brandbll":326arr37 said:
abq_farside":326arr37 said:
dragon04":326arr37 said:

I don't know why anyone would get so hung up on 1 person's last name. If it wasn't the way everyone is saying it Brett Favre would have corrected this a long time ago. Not to mention every single football commentator is given a pronunciation guide with each players name, so the commentators aren't mispeaking, they are saying it as they are told to say it. So either A. he likes the way people pronunciate it, or B. that's the way you say his name. Either way, who really cares? People pronounce Notre Dame differently. Besides, these are names, people pronounce names wrong all the time. It's better than John Kerry and some others on the east coast saying "Ideer" instead of "idea". Or people in Iowa saying "warsh" in stead of "wash."

Ma, i think you must watch too much TV or something. First you say it's a sign of moral decay in our society because of AFV, and now your saying we are considered a poorly educated country because of the way people pronounce Brett Favre's name. Sheesh...

Kind of my thoughts too

D

drwayne

As a humorous aside, I assume y'all are aware that the Physicist's name and the unit named "Joule"
are commonly pronounced differently? (I can't remember the last time I heard the unit pronounced
jowl if I didn't do it) ;)

On the sporting side of the house, I have known several different baseball players with the last name
Lefebre, and have seen the same spelling pronounce several different ways by the players themselves.

And of course, none of this touches on Tony Dorsett :)

M

mental_avenger

baulten":bek9fsys said:
I have never, ever heard it pronounced any other way, including by the man himself.
In an interview, I heard Brett’s father pronounce it correctly, without the “r”. That’s good enough for me.

S

semiliterate

From Here

Found this from someone who is named Favre

First of all, I believe that a person's name is "correctly" pronounced however that person wants it to be pronounced.

Secondly, we have always pronounced it Faahve. That's about a close as Americans can do the French, which gives just a hint of the "r" at the end.

My husband is Brett's second cousin twice removed. They are from the same county in MIssissippi...

The Atlanta Falcons had drafted Brett and the name was murdered by the national sports broadcasters. When the New Orleans anchors added their comments, one of them said, "Well, they'll soon learn how to say Faahve." and we said, YEEESS!

THEN we started reading, "he pronounces it to rhyme with "carve." No, no, NO!

Today, in 2005, we are the only hold-outs. My husband is one of 10 children, six of whom are living today. All his siblings say FARVE and it drives me crazy.

But, as this is a genealogy posting, I know that YOU all know that at some time names have changed in spelling and pronunciation. I just never imagined we'd be part of the generation where it changed.

S

scottb50

Found this from someone who is named Favre..

My wife is Terri and want's to be Teri? The French kind of splatter their letters around some times.

B

baulten

mental_avenger":2jp76m26 said:
baulten":2jp76m26 said:
I have never, ever heard it pronounced any other way, including by the man himself.
In an interview, I heard Brett’s father pronounce it correctly, without the “r”. That’s good enough for me.

Either way... why do you get so hung up on THIS, but not other things, like "ya'll" or "warsh" or "ain't"? They are all "misspeaks" but they come from regional dialect that has propagated in such a way that they are now common words.

I admit, I don't know for certain how he pronounces it most of the time. I just know that I've never heard it, personally, with no "r". I've heard "Farve" and "Favray" pronunciations, but never "Fahv", which is apparently correct. I'm no pro of the English language, though I'd like to think of myself as at least somewhat articulate. But I never learned crap about "vre" words, at least not that I remember.

Whatever, I'm just curious why you are so hung up on this technicality.

S

schmack

Re: Most Football Fans and Most Commentators Misspeak

Dunno whatcha talkin'bout.

M

mental_avenger

baulten":2rxunwxa said:
Either way... why do you get so hung up on THIS, but not other things, like "ya'll" or "warsh" or "ain't"? They are all "misspeaks" but they come from regional dialect that has propagated in such a way that they are now common words.
I’m not hung up on it, are you? I only mentioned it because it was apparently being mispronounced by supposedly educated people in the business of talking to the public. People always used to make fun of football players as being strong but stupid. They worked hard to change that image. You’d think that former players turned sportscasters would be more conscientious about their speech. Whatever.

Anyhow, “y’all” is a contraction, like “ain’t”. I don’t know anyone who says “warsh”.

baulten":2rxunwxa said:
But I never learned crap about "vre" words, at least not that I remember.
AFAIK, most people pronounce the name of The Louvre in Paris correctly.

A

a_lost_packet_

mental_avenger":3f6nk8bu said:
...Anyhow, “y’all” is a contraction, like “ain’t”. I don’t know anyone who says “warsh”.

Yankees, New Englanders particularly, IIRC. Although, I had a roommate in college from Pennsylvania that always said that.

I also never understood the use of the phrase "Go with." As in "I'm going to drive down to the laundromat to warsh some clothes. You want to go with?" Go with.. what?

"Winda" is another one. "Close the winda, it's cold in here!" WTF is a "winda?"

Now, "yonder" is another that any intelligent person should be able to understand! "Ova thar, yonder, is th' bess fishun hole dis side o' th' Mason Dixon Line, sun..." See, that's perfectly understandable English.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Although. When one really thinks about it.

How important is this game or that?

Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.