Most Football Fans and Most Commentators Misspeak

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mee_n_Mac

a_lost_packet_":1tv1au3y said:
mental_avenger":1tv1au3y said:
...Anyhow, “y’all” is a contraction, like “ain’t”. I don’t know anyone who says “warsh”.

Yankees, New Englanders particularly, IIRC. Although, I had a roommate in college from Pennsylvania that always said that.

Only a true Southener would think someone from Pennsylvania is a New Englander. :cool:

Most people up this way say "Washington D.C." not "Warshington D.C." I thought the latter was a midwest thang.

D

dragon04

I'm trying to imagine watching TV at M_A's house without a mute button. For M_A, that is.

Every little inaccuracy. Every little inconsistency. Every little tiny piece of evidence of escalating moral decay. Likely detailed dissertations of the actual facts of every documentary. My grandfather was like that. He often wondered why he watched TV alone.

C

CalliArcale

Mee_n_Mac":3ofyyzoc said:
Most people up this way say "Washington D.C." not "Warshington D.C." I thought the latter was a midwest thang.

Define "Midwest". Here in Minnesota, we pronounce it phonetically. WASH-ing-ton. But my father-in-law, several generation in SD, does add that "r". It may be a factor of how far west you go, as the accent drifts.

I don't know how Brett Favre pronounces his name, and not being much of a football fan, I don't care very much. However, my opinion is that one can decide for oneself how to pronounce the name. Case in point: my real first name can be pronounced several ways, and my maiden name is explicitly pronounced non-phonetically. (There is a story which supposedly explains why, but as it goes back over 300 years, it may well be apocryphal. English spelling was not fully standardized at that time anyway.)

Names don't bother me much, though. Wanna get my goat? Say "nook-you-ler". *shudders* Like fingernails on chalkboard.

B

bearack

In all hoensty, who gives a rats behind how it's pronounced. Living with the name Milosich, I've come custom to everyone butchering my name. Hell, my wife of 17 years still doesn't pronounce it correctly!

And, just to answer the question because someone is pondering it ...... NO RELATION TO SLOBODAN. Were not even Slovene but Austrian!

D

dragon04

Slobodan was a Milosovich anyways. Is Milosich an "Americanized" version?

B

bearack

dragon04":1hfjzw9x said:
Slobodan was a Milosovich anyways. Is Milosich an "Americanized" version?

That's how some, if not most pronounce my name just because it looks similar and people have heard it spoken on the news (at least in the past). Others butcher is like Millo-sock, Milsich etc. As far as I could trace, none of my ancestors from my father’s side were ever from Serbia. Granted, they are fairly close in proximity.

M

mental_avenger

dragon04":2jhwj2qf said:
I'm trying to imagine watching TV at M_A's house without a mute button. For M_A, that is.

Every little inaccuracy. Every little inconsistency. Every little tiny piece of evidence of escalating moral decay. Likely detailed dissertations of the actual facts of every documentary.
Bull ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.