PlanetSpace, ATK, LockMart COTS bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Swampcat

PLANETSPACE, Lockheed Martin and ATK team up to bid on NASA COTS<br /><br />Recently posted at HobbySpace but I haven't seen it yet here.<br /><br />I assume they want to replace RpK. <br /><br />Comments?<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

Any group that enters into difficult industrial endeavour, needs good financial backing. <br />These guys have The Bank of Montreal .<br />I think we may have just witnessed the formation of the first giant space company. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

I wonder if this shouldn't be in Space Business & Technology? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

<font color="yellow">"I wonder if this shouldn't be in Space Business & Technology?"</font><br /><br />You're probably right. I'll put in a formal request. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

T

thereiwas

From the press release, it seems ATK does the launch vehicle, LM does the transfer vehicle, and PS does the cargo/people part. A lighter AresI without Orion? Same labor-intensive launch prep, same pork. NASA would love it. But how do they get the price down?

E

edkyle98

>>"how to they get the price down?"<<<br /><br />According to some reports, the ATK launch vehicle would include use of already-developed hardware. The first stage appears to be derived from the shuttle solid motor. (One report says that it uses only two of the usual four motor segments.) On top of this would be an ATK Castor 120 second stage. There would have to be a third stage, and possibly a small fourth maneuvering stage as well. Possibilities include ATK's Orion 50 and 38-series and Star 48 motors. <br /><br /> - Ed Kyle

R

richalex

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>I think we may have just witnessed the formation of the first giant space company.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>Bigger than Boing?

V

vulture2

How is using old solid-fueled expendables going to either save money or advance technology? If all we want to do is get a payload in orbit, the Russians or the Chinese can do it cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts