POLL - The Fourth Kind, Alien Abductions

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.

Do You Believe Alien Abductions Are Real?

• I know they are.

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • It's possible, yes.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I have my doubts.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • No way.

Votes: 26 33.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RHStockman

Re: POLL: The Fourth Kind, Alien Abductions

I don't believe a word about any of the so-called UFO sightings. First of all, aliens would have to be stupid to come to Earth, because the US would want to take their technology to dominate the world, as would Russia, China, Iran, and 100 other countries, so the chance that their technology would cause a world war or totally distrupt our culture is too great to risk a visit. Second, they can learn anything they need between the internet and the Playboy channel. (I take that back; the internet is sufficient now). Third, they probably have microorganisms in them and the average person has something like a kilogram of microorganisms inside him/her; cross-contamimation is inevitable, unavoidable, could cause severe disease on earth or on their planet, and simply would not be worth the risk (I'm afraid Star Trek is impossible based on this problem alone). Fourth, simply finding us is probably almost impossible; I think intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is inevitable, but the universe is a BIG place.

F

FlatEarth

I voted it's possible. I think it's possible some UFO's are alien craft (assuming they know how to side step general relativity), and if ever confirmed to be true, then I would change my vote to "definitely". We abducted slaves from Africa, so if they're here, why wouldn't they abduct us. They would want to study us in our environment, but if they wanted to completely understand us, they would probably grab a few of us and do more than just poke and prod us. :eek:

T

The_Courteous_Quickster

A Big No Way! I vote with Enrico Fermi, there is no one out there because there is no credible evidence whatsoever that we have ever been visited.

Given the age of the universe (more than 10 billion years) and the time it takes a civilization to develop to the point where it would need to colonize other worlds in the galaxy just to survive (say 50,000 years) and the time it would take such a civilizatin to expand across the galaxy (say 100,000 years), there has been enough time for more than a hundred thousand such civilizations to visit the earth. If even only one of them was not friendly (but decided to take over the earth for their own uses) we would probably not be here to discuss the issue today. And to be sure at least one of these hundred thousand civilizations would have left artifacts that would remain to this day. So either ALL aliens are god-like in their kindness, mercy and absolutely dedicated to leaving such prime real estate as Earth undisturbed (even at their own peril - as they are only searching for survival resources after all), or there are no aliens. So far, the facts support the latter, even if Hollywood supports the former much more loudly.

I realize that this view goes against every fiber of everyone's being, but it's just not logical otherwise. And as we all know, Mr. Spock is logical. So, I'll stick with Mr. Fermi and Mr. Spock (science fiction not withstanding).

May the Force be with you.

P

pansperman

I am going to have to go along with it definitely being possible. If one believes that visitation is at all possible, then one must necessarily believe that abductions may result. After all, it is what we do wheneer and wherever we go in search of knowledge. Grab up some of the resident wildlife and stud or test the Hell out of it. Some is returned, with or without attachments or implants, and is some not. So..........................

J

jhawkins

The Fourth Kind, Alien Abductions

Considering Drake's Principle, it would be foolish to think we are alone, though distance is the question. Technology also plays a part because, presumably, intelligence with the technology to get here also would have the ability to do it cloaked.

B

BigTuna

Do I believe that aliens exist? Sure, if we were able to evolve intelligence I'm sure some other civilization has as well. Do I think they travel millions of light years to put 50's-style medical instrumentation in our asses? In a word, no.

F

FlatEarth

Even though this topic is tied into the promotion of the film, The Fourth Kind, doesn't it belong in the Unexplained section. After all, the film is supposedly based on real experiences, and the phenomenon is widely reported.

A

Astro_Robert

I believe that other life forms (intelligent and spacefaring) exist in the universe, but that they may be more like 1,000 light years away than 10 light years away. Unless they are close by, they can only visit using Faster Than Light technology, which probably does not exist. If FTL does exist, it seems very unlikely to me that any such being would waste their time with 'abductions' or what have you; although who can speak to the motivations of aliens?.

I also ask myself if I believe we are to the hypothetical aliens as the polar bears of a previous poster are to us? It may not be a bad comparison, but I'm still very doubtful about a lot of UFO lore. Would a species that is capable of intergalactic travel really be stupid enough to crash or be shot down over Roswell? I feel that most of the rest of UFO lore is of similarly dubious nature.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

I put "It's possible". But again, I have to agree that I doubt there is any poking and probing. I would think if someone were genuinly abducted, then like most of us they would become so terrified of the unknown that physologically they would develop extensions to the truth of their experience... especially if they were subdued. I seen pretty weird lights in the sky as a kid with other witnesses that could not be explained at the time or even today. But again, how do you "prove" or disprove it? Photos can be altered, videos can be really well falsified, etc... so how does on provide undisputible proof they have seen something that can't be explained? You can't. I could video tape an alien right in front of me, and send it off for analysis. I guarentee the result would still be inconclusive. Has Earth been visited? The best "evidence" that can be provided does seem to strongly point that way. However, with that said any evidence will always be able to be disputed or shugged off as falsified. Look at the fact that people from 5 different states, police from several counties, etc... reported on one specific UFO sighting and it was still not enough evidence. So someone please enlighten me on what would be enough evidence for the world to believe that could be classed as "undisputable", dispite being shy of having actual alien DNA?

K

Ken_Forees_Forehead

i believe spacefire has come the closest with his/her reasonable response and all the other posters resonsible for pithy replies should research the very terrifying and VERY REAL phenomena of sleep paralysis and how it relates to alien abduction phenomena. it is my opinion that the honest victims are not making up or embellishing what is a strange and frightening neuro/psychological experience. perhaps it's related to the regulation and release of DMT in the brain (see the research work of Dr. Rick Strassman MD for more).

C

crazyeddie

Ken_Forees_Forehead":2vkyvdy5 said:
i believe spacefire has come the closest with his/her reasonable response and all the other posters resonsible for pithy replies should research the very terrifying and VERY REAL phenomena of sleep paralysis and how it relates to alien abduction phenomena. it is my opinion that the honest victims are not making up or embellishing what is a strange and frightening neuro/psychological experience. perhaps it's related to the regulation and release of DMT in the brain (see the research work of Dr. Rick Strassman MD for more).

I would agree that a person's belief that they have been abducted by aliens has it's roots in a misinterpretation of an episode of sleep paralysis combined with lucid dreaming. However, I have experienced such a phenomenon myself at various times in my life, but I did NOT immediately jump to the conclusion that I had been abducted by aliens, even though that would have been an awesomely cool, if scary, explanation. It takes a certain kind of personality to do that, in my opinion......one that craves attention, suffers from low self-esteem, has a history of mental or physical abuse at the hands of others, or any number of other pre-conditions. People want to believe such things because it makes them feel special or important.

A

Azpod

disownedsky":2c9bnx8c said:
Well, I am confused. What is the difference between "it's possible" and "I have my doubts." For me, it's almost always both.
I believe nearly anything is possible, but "I have my doubts" means that one would have present me with overwhelming evidence before I'd believe their claims. "It's possible" means that I think the claim may be credible... but I don't yet know.

Supernatural experiences overall, for instance, happen so frequently and in such a wide variety of cultures that I'm willing to keep an open mind about the subject... even though there isn't 100% definitive proof.

Alien abductions, however, are far less frequent and the evidence is far more suspect. I believe alien civilization likely exist, mind you. But I see no logical reason they'd reveal themselves to us, much less abduct any of us.

T

tarnoldastroguy

I have been a professional astronomer for nearly 40 years. Part of the reason I became an astronomer was due to several UFO sightings I had as a teenager. An amateur astronomer at the time, I knew the sky. The objects, (yes, that is plural), I witnessed were not natural, man-made, illusions, Venus, swamp-gas, or the product of a defective mind. Abductions are a distinct possibility. Contrary to what skeptics like to state, there are professional scientists, like me, that are willing to step up and be counted as witness to extraordinary events such as the presence of UFOs.

N

nailpounder

IMO, it's possible, but I doubt it. Look at what are own biologists do to a new species when one is found. It's the distance thing that is hard for me to overcome, but maybe not so hard for others! Maybe we should look back and remember where we came from only one hundred years ago, and imagine where we might be in another 500 yrs.
One hundred years ago, we were earthbound, unable to climb the highest mountains, and unable to explore the vast ocean depths. Now we have spacecraft at the outer reaches of the heliosphere. Where indeed may others be on 'their'
evolutionary scale.............................Al

O

onesmallstep

I think it is not only possible, but likely that the Saucer People are not the cuddly little ET-type creatures we see in the movies, but are much more sinister in their motives than we realize. I also think this could be one of the primary reasons for not revealing their presence to the general public and keeping any hard evidence of their existence at bay...As Jack Nicolson said, "The truth, you can't handle the truth" After all, it really doesn't take much digging into the UFO lore to get the heebie jeebies scared out of you.

Just about every justification put forward here as to why there logically can be no et presence has been covered in the lore. For example, one poster said, "First of all, aliens would have to be stupid to come to Earth, because the US would want to take their technology to dominate the world...." Well, read the accounts of the Holloman Air Force Base landings that occurred back in the 1950s. Apparently the U.S. did strike a deal to receive technology in exchange for looking the other way while people, cattle, etc. were abducted.

Another poster stated, "Aliens always have 2 eyes, 4 limbs, 1 mouth, 1 nose, right? What possible explanation could there be for this except that they were invented by humans?" Well maybe, except there is the possibility that we were created by them....Again too shocking or disturbing to discuss openly, but one which is supported by the lore.

Then there is the reasonable, rational explanation of sleep paralysis for abductions. Fine and dandy, except some of the better abduction cases occurred while the victims were wide awake with multiple witnesses, e.g. Betty and Barney Hill, Travis Walton, Allagash River, the list goes on.

Even the comment, "Do you believe that Santa Claus rides in a sleigh with 8 reindeer to put presents under a Christmas tree? Sure, it could happen but probably not." Well, if there were thousands of serious reports of a guy in a red suit leaving presents under a tree maybe that too would we worth some serious consideration.

In some respects the UFO lore in total is a better story than what any science fiction writer could dream up...So is it just possible that sci-fi writers don't have to come up with it, or is provided by actual reports from over the decades, all the writers have to do is embellish and change the names. Such could be the case with this new movie, The Fourth Kind, after all does art imitate life, or does life imitate art?

C

COTU

I had to vote no way for several reasons. First the distances involved, I am sure there is other life in the universe but it is way WAY over there. So far away that it would not be feasible to come here and why would they? Second is out of the millions of reports we have yet to have one iota of physical proof of alien visitation. There comes a point where lack of evidence becomes proof in and of itself. Lastly seeing is not believing. Remember that when you are dreaming you are looking at the insides of your eyelids even when you are looking at me you are not really seeing me you are seeing a construction that your mind creates based on the neural input from your eyes. This allows people to see a whole host of things that they do not understand, the best they can do is put their own expectations on their observations and then say “The aliens came to visit.” OOPS! I almost forgot how slowly we learn. We all just read the article about what lengths we go to not infect other worlds we are visiting with Earthly microbes. Go figure. Aliens come here grab our planet mates examine them with invasive surgical procedures and we do not contract alien H1N1? How does that happen unless “they” are genetically and immunologically compatible with us? No way, no way, NO WAY!

J

job1207

Well, there are over 400 people on this board who have first hand knowledge of these abductions. Or so it would seem by their responses........ :shock:

N

netdragon

Since I gave my personal experience, I'll now discuss science. Most arguments against ETs being here are not valid scientifically:

* The argument about sleep paralysis cannot be applied. It assumes too much about how cognition works and what is real or not real. For instance, it assumes something experienced in the waking REM state is imagined or a hallucination. What if when in that state we are just open to seeing more? I think there are too many questions that can't be answered, and all the study about sleep paralysis shows is physiological affects versus having any insight on what it means to see something. However, it is also foolish to assume something experienced during sleep paralysis is necessarily real.

* Arguments about if there were ETs out there then at least one would be bad and attack us is invalid. I can think of two arguments: (1) We could be protected (2) Most races that survive sufficiently long enough to develop interstellar travel could be socially more advanced. It would only take the local group.

* Arguments that interstellar travel is too tough or there would be no reason for them to come here: We are assuming interstellar travel is difficult to a more advanced race. I can think of reasons for coming: curiosity, connection, or caring.

* Arguments that based on the assumption they will look one way or another or may not look like us, etc, etc: Huh? We have detected 3 dozen planets. We now know that most if not all stars have planets. How do you know what's out there? How do you know they are even physical?

* Why wouldn't they announce themselves to the government authorities? (1) Why would they recognize our government? For instance, what if they have a collective consciousness and consider the collective consciousness of humanity as the authority - then wouldn't they be interested in making a connection to our probably not very cohesive collective consciousness? (2) Why would they want to create a panic? (3) How do you know they even consider humans the species to talk to on the planet? Perhaps they come to talk to whales and dolphins?

* If they are here we'd see them. Silly. An advanced race could probably watch us without being seen and potentially could even change their form to walk amongst us without being detected.

Furthermore, keep in mind that a lot of arguments against tend to be based on physicality, realism, determinism, etc. You really have to expand discussions to not be so tied to these outdated ways of thinking. For instance, you can't ignore the possibility that mind has some influence and those who aren't open don't attract their energies here. You can't assume they are physical. You can't assume they are even able to see our world unless we subconsciously invite them here. Perhaps that's why accounts always seem familiar to us (insectoids, reptoids, greys - like ants). Perhaps that's what we invite because it's familiar? Perhaps most are in alternate realities and only few get through. Obviously, I'm just giving examples of why speculation based on what we think we know is nonsense. There is a lot we don't know and we may not be able to answer this question until we can answer other of the age old ontological questions.

There is a lot we don't know - telepathy, are there souls, is consciousness physical or non-corporeal, etc, etc. There are "new" scientific directions that may chip away at this and other questoins. Quantum mechanics throw out determinism and potentially yields insight into the mind works if our minds end up working more like quantum computers. Quantum states exist in superposition until an observation / measurement is made. That allows for quantum computers to take advantage of entanglement for data transmission in what is called quantum networking (note this doesn't allow faster-than-light communication) through what is known as quantum teleportation (which essentially moves, not copies, the quantum state). Entanglement involves the Bell state 1/sqrt(2) * (|00> + |11>) or other similar variations. Note that entangled qbits is considered a resource, however entangelement is not necessarily consumed by an operation because it can be reversed after a measurement is made (though with some limitations for such things as quantum decoherence). What if one key component to sentient life is that somehow sentient life harvests some form of entanglement and then can pass the entanglement along to offspring? What if the other side of the entangled "bits" is non-physical and it is in fact the entanglement that allows our brain to communicate with our non-corporeal mind and translate that through our brain circuitry into something our body can work with? What if it's this same mechanism that also allows telepathy (e.g. the non-corporeal mind "stuff" can also communicate regardless of physical distance here)? Makes you think, huh? Obviously, we don't know a way to devise an experiment to test this yet, though it is probably testable. This exercise should be a reminder of what little we currently know about the deep questions.

String theory also brings up some interesting points. M-theory exposes the potential of anywhere from 9 to 11 dimensions. some are wrapped up in the Calibri Yau space and some wrap us. What if sentient life can exist in some of these other dimensions, though nothing like us? What if they can also interact with us at will? What if their existance within that space makes interstellar travel easier for them than us? What if they know how to enter our space somehow (or at least influence it somehow)? Again, just another example of what little we know since we can't answer that question yet.

Just because we don't know how to devise experiments for these questions doesn't mean they aren't solvable. We need to keep plugging away. For instance, the theory that there are multiple universes doesn't seem testable because other universes would be unreachable and temporally disconnected. However, a mathematician devised a way to determine if our universe has collided with other universes, by figuring out the imprint it would leave. Now cosmologists have something to go on and are looking for that imprint.

Although I have interacted with ETs myself, I want nothing more than for others to know we are not alone as well. However, I know that unless they touch down in a city somewhere and say "hi", we may need to become more advanced to detect them ourselves, especially considering the ones I interacted with are non-physical. Therefore, I am hoping we have some breakthrough that allows this and I think that as we advanced more in quantum mechanics and string theory, and perhaps our understanding of consciousness, we may just have that breakthrough.

T

triathlonJOE

Sorry guys it's very doubtful and there's no evidence (beyond heresay). Unless we are animals in a national park of some sort I don't see why these aliens are not showing themselves (officially at the UN building in New York). They will have travelled quite a distance to simply probe one or two people with active imaginations and go home. Also I don't see any government being involved in a conspiracy to hide evidence of "Close Encounters" of the second or third kind because as we all know governments are full of leaks and smoking gun evidence of all sorts, ask President Clinton about the stains on his clothes that became part of the Ken Star investigation and an imprechment procedure. A national government could not even bug the Watergate Building without a presidential resignation much less hold on to a BIG secret for decades.

G

Gerrit_smit_br

The only possible answer is 'It is possible, yes'. Because, if there is a 0.000000000000000001% possibility ( or even less ) it ever happened or ever will happen, than it's possible. The answer 'I know they are', should have 0%. Because if one was ever abducted, or he wouldn't be back and able to give his opinion here, or would be back and not remember anything, or be back and remember something but unable to prove ( so cannot answere 'I know they are' ), or remember AND be able to prove. As the last option ( remember AND be able to prove ) never happened, the only possibility is 0% on this answer. The 'I have my doubts answer' is basically the same as 'It's possible, yes', the difference is that 'It's possible, yes' tends more to be a scientific answer where 'I have my doubts' is the type of answer people that have no clear opinion use to give. So, scientifically spoken, this 'I have my doubts' answer is a not valid answer, it's like voting blank. The 'No Way' answer should get 0% also. Although I personally do not believe it ever happened, I cannot prove. They is no way we can know if there is other life in the universe, so it is possible. We, humans, abduct rats, and dogs, do experiments on them, and put them to sleep. If one day we find life on Mars, even bacterial life or even less evolved, we WILL do experiments on this, so we as human beings will abduct the bacterial life on Mars. The same way it IS possible that one day, an ET from from another solar system will come to earth and abduct one of us. I'm pretty convinced it will NEVER happen, but it is possible. So, again, the only correct answer is 'It's possible, yes'. All the other answer were given by people that don't think. Including myself, I answered 'No way', and after I pressed the button, I started to think.

K

Ken_Forees_Forehead

crazyeddie - thanks for the measured reply, i actually voted "it's possible" in the poll (in a near-infinite universe with infinite time and quantum mechanics taken into account, isn't nearly "anything" possible?). i have a good friend who also feels the alien invisible presence resting on his chest during his sleep paralysis episodes. he's typically (or believes himself to be) wide awake with the presence either on top of him or along his side - now this is just to illustrate that to agree is to disagree - perhaps there are deeper, more disturbing/profound levels of s.p. that OTHERS experience, that is to say, it is possible that they undergo an episode that has "abduction" as its character. a more extreme form, if you will.

netdragon (i think that was your handle) and others - if you are into this stuff i cannot recommend DMT: The Spirit Molecule by the aforementioned Dr. Strassman any higher. it describes the first U.S. gov't sanctioned psychedelic research in this country in 20-odd years. fascinating stuff, when the compound is administered, the 'trip' reports all contain imagery that is strikingly related to encounters with omniscient alien, demi-godlike presences. see excerpt below from wiki:

Dr. Rick Strassman, while conducting DMT research in the 1990s at the University of New Mexico, advanced the theory that a massive release of DMT from the pineal gland prior to death or near death was the cause of the near death experience (NDE) phenomenon. Several of his test subjects reported NDE-like audio or visual hallucinations. His explanation for this was the possible lack of panic involved in the clinical setting and possible dosage differences between those administered and those encountered in actual NDE cases. Several subjects also reported contact with 'other beings', alien like, insectoid or reptilian in nature, in highly advanced technological environments[11] where the subjects were 'carried', 'probed', 'tested', 'manipulated', 'dismembered', 'taught', 'loved' and even 'raped' by these 'beings'.

G

googajoob8

As far as i know there is nt any real proof these people have been abducted . Theres a lot of hearsay , legend and lore surrounding the subject but not one bit of viable hard evidence . If there was it would be the biggest story in history and would be happening world wide and to think that every government on earth could collude to hide something so big is ridiculous . I dont rule out aliens visiting our planet espeacially since our radio broadcasts have made us quite visable since the 1930s but untill theres proof all anyone can have is belief and thats nudging towards superstition and religion . People are quite entitled to believe what they want but it does nt make it fact .

A

a_lost_packet_

netdragon":wh5iz5mj said:
Since I gave my personal experience, I'll now discuss science. Most arguments against ETs being here are not valid scientifically:....

Uh... All of your counter-arguments rely on unverifiable assumptions. How does that make them any more "scientific?" I'll also note that some of the arguments you quote against ETI visitation are, indeed, a bit shabby. But, at least they're trying to speak to knowledge we already possess.

There is one valid argument at the moment: We have no proof that alien ETIs exist.

After that, the rest is just speculation on both sides. When someone, anyone, can actually "define" an alien ETI and put a label on it, then we can start to make credible assumptions regarding specifics.

C

capt_joe

Science is amazing. However one thing Science fails to grasp, and cannot explain is our creation. We can look at a subspecies and analyze it top to bottom. We "take" without consent other "beings" and have even taken "human" beings ( indigenous ) in our past to examine them. Without consent, or any advance notice. We arrived, did not speak the language and simply took. We still "take" as we please, from the Oceans and places where other species are new to us. We perform procedures and sometimes let the subjects expire. We sow them up to place in a specimen jar, we notate the findings and move on to the next question in our simple minds.
This is not a professional science forum, the questions are not either but, WHO cares ! THEY ARE VALID, in the mind of the author(s) participants etc. Who are you as a person a simple being to put them down. In this world, tolerance, apathy, consideration, and kindness is almost extinct.
Allow those you see as lessor, inferior, and whatever you choose to formulate in your mind to have this freedom. I fought in the Marine Corps, to allow others to have freedom of speech, to critique my opinion freely and disagree with my point of view without harm. We are a free society, and weapons we use do not always have to be physical in nature. If your a genius by your definition you can use mental and emotional insults are strong weapons. So be courteous.

What I am trying to say, is that if you do not understand and if Science does not explain it, have some patience, and in due time all will be explained. The possibility of ET beings among us is real, We are past that question. Our question should be; "Are they kinder than us?" "Do they respect life regardless of how abundant our species is?" " What threat do they possess if any?" and finally can we be evolved enough as a Species to communicate with them and find out before it is too late and we miss out on their visit or before we destroy ourselves because we keep repeating history generation after generation.

What good does it do to understand everything on this planet and have a phenomenal IQ,understanding of the way the world and matter work, if there wont be anyone around to teach or share with, if we wont even be here as a species? Grow your hearts and not just your mind. As bizarre as these stories seem to me, I have to accept them, for a fellow Human has felt the pain and in his mind, in his right, has felt something he cannot understand, and we cannot explain. - we are a sad kind when given power of any kind. JH

A

a_lost_packet_

OT -

What I REALLY want to know is how the heck this thread got so many hits from registered users who voted...

That's a bunch of hits. It'd be worth figuring out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts