Shenzhou 7 planned launch September 25th

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zhang

I start to concern about the taikongnauts haven't enough sleep since they worked over night to get the EVA suits ready. They are an hour behind schedule, some source claims. The suits should be ready by now anyway. They could have a sleep 4-8 hours, so how long could they do pre-breath? They must remove the stuff cannot survive vacuum environment, food, water bag ect, from the OM before they could depressurize it. Hope they already did that.

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;You cant be serious! Much ado about nothing? this is science and the second you start lieing about the facts it becomes fantacy. Any science ganed from here on out is now suspect and tainted. <br />Posted by gawin</DIV></p><p>One crap media story does not taint the whole mission or diminish its achievements.</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

A

asj2006

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I start to concern about the taikongnauts haven't enough sleep since they worked over night to get the EVA suits ready. They are an hour behind schedule, some source claims. The suits should be ready by now anyway. They could have a sleep 4-8 hours, so how long could they do pre-breath? They must remove the stuff cannot survive vacuum environment, food, water bag ect, from the OM before they could depressurize it. Hope they already did that. <br /> Posted by zhang</DIV></p><p>So, what time ET (Eastern Time USA) are they supposed to start anyways? </p><p>This says 4:30 pm Beijing time, which should make it 4:30 am ET tonight over here.... </p>http://www.scmp.com/portal/site/SCMP/menuitem.2c913216495213d5df646910cba0a0a0/?vgnextoid=0961313c67f9c110VgnVCM100000360a0a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=teaser&ss=China&s=News<br /><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>------------------------------------------- </p><p>"Breathe. This is like most of the choices you have in life. <br />You know inside whether it's right. <br />Whether you do it is up to you." </p><p>From the Tao of Willie Nelson</p> </div>

G

gawin

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>One crap media story does not taint the whole mission or diminish its achievements.Jon <br /> Posted by jonclarke</DIV></p><p>if it was a crap story from a free news agency i would buy that because free press can not be controled but a false statement from a govt run news agency that controles all the news. then all the news is now suspect. </p>

A

asj2006

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>if it was a crap story from a free news agency i would buy that because free press can not be controled but a false statement from a govt run news agency that controles all the news. then all the news is now suspect. <br /> Posted by gawin</DIV></p><p>Taking a deep long breath will surely relax you. Try it! ;-)</p><p>&nbsp;On a more constructive note, I noticed someone here said they were called "Taikongnauts"...I looked it up, and it seems "space" in chinese does equal "Taikong", but I personally prefer Taikonauts...then I can call them the cooler name "Taikos" - sounds more like a space video game :)</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>------------------------------------------- </p><p>"Breathe. This is like most of the choices you have in life. <br />You know inside whether it's right. <br />Whether you do it is up to you." </p><p>From the Tao of Willie Nelson</p> </div>

C

centsworth_II

<font color="#333399"><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>One crap media story does not taint the whole mission or diminish its achievements.Jon <br /> Posted by jonclarke</DIV></font><br />I think gawin has a point.&nbsp; If the fake story was put out by the same government controlled media that will be reporting on the rest of the mission, one has to think that other news regarding the mission may be similarly tainted. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I think gawin has a point.&nbsp; If the fake story was put out by the same government controlled media that will be reporting on the rest of the mission, one has to think that other news regarding the mission may be similarly tainted. <br />Posted by centsworth_II</DIV></p><p>Not at all.&nbsp;&nbsp; We only&nbsp;know two things, it was erroneous and ith was withdrawn.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thefact that it was withdrawn is to the credit of the Chinese authorities.&nbsp; We don't know the context of the erroneous press release - who wrote it, who released it, why it was released in the first place,&nbsp;until we no people are jumping to conclusions.</p><p>Furthermore one eroneous statement does not make other statements untrue.&nbsp; The USSR covered up the fact that Gagarin did not land with Vostok 1 for many years.&nbsp; The hid the problems with the instrtument module separation even longer, This does not mean to say that other statements about the mission - Gargarin's identity, launch times, orbital data, the footage and still frames of the launch were not genuine.</p><p>By contrast China has vastly been much more open about its missions than the USSR ever was.&nbsp; Many details of the spacecrfaft are public available, major events are announced ahead of time and braodcast live, people can go nd watch the launch.&nbsp; the results are rapidly published in the international literature&nbsp; I have several peer-reviewed papers from earlier Shenzhou missions for example, published in western technical journals.</p><p>If&nbsp;one erroneous (and retracted) statement is going to be helpd against China what does that say about the erroenous (and never retracted) statement&nbsp;by NASA that carbohydrates were found on Venus by Mariner II?&nbsp; Should every detail of that mission be regarded as suspect?&nbsp; Should we never trust NASA ever again?</p><p>The focusing on this one unfortunate event at the expense of the genuine achievements and significance of the mission as a whole, to the extent that claims are made that the whole mission is to be questioned, smacks more of a sinophobica that is looking for sticks with which&nbsp;to beat China</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>if it was a crap story from a free news agency i would buy that because free press can not be controled but a false statement from a govt run news agency that controles all the news. then all the news is now suspect. <br />Posted by gawin</DIV></p><p>Just because the gorvernment "controls" the media (less though than you might think) does not mean to say that that mistakes can't happen.&nbsp; The fact is the erroneous statements&nbsp;were withdrawn. Obviously someone,perhaps several people, blundered.&nbsp;&nbsp;Nor does it mean that every aspect of the coverage is therefore suspect.</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

A

asj2006

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I think gawin has a point.&nbsp; If the fake story was put out by the same government controlled media that will be reporting on the rest of the mission, one has to think that other news regarding the mission may be similarly tainted. <br /> Posted by centsworth_II</DIV></p><p>Yeah, must be why they're broadcasting live, so they can "taint"the information (rolls eyes)</p><p>Honestly, I'm American, but the amount of bitterness and envy towards China we have displayed recently is embarrasing and not worthy of a nation that supposedly exemplifies some of the best characteristics of the world due to our migrant roots.My German friends were openly gloating about our difficulties recently and when I asked them why, they said we were too arrogant in the past (and perhaps even now).</p><p>I went to this site with the expectation that some intelligent conversation based on a common shared goal would trump the usual squalid squabbling that inundates newsgroups and jingoistic forums, and I hope that is still the case.</p><p>I honestly don't care which nation opens the way out into space. I would prefer that it be a consortium of countries, perhaps sponsored by the UN, but in the meantime it is fascinating to watch the Chinese (who are kinda naive and are way more enthusiastic about space exploration than I would expect) make a serious go at it.&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>------------------------------------------- </p><p>"Breathe. This is like most of the choices you have in life. <br />You know inside whether it's right. <br />Whether you do it is up to you." </p><p>From the Tao of Willie Nelson</p> </div>

A

asj2006

<p>Saying that, the Chinese do have a tendency to place "face" as the paramount factor, and so we get things like the milli vanilli "fiasco" at the Olympics, where some Olympic officials did not think twice about substituting a "better looking" girl for the actual singer, or the addition of some digital special effects to part of the opening ceremony fireworks in order to make it look better for TV audiences. To the Chinese I talked to here in the US, this was not a problem at all (some kept wondering what the brouhaha was all about), but of course in many other countries this was not so good. I have a feeling this news article was simply a manifestation of that tendency, where they want everything to look better.</p><p>Then again, it may have been simply an overzealous reporter trying to meet a deadline...people tend to think of the Chinese govt as one monolithic entity, but of course that's hardly the case. Thousands of people make up that government, just like any other govt, and just like people around the world, they are prone to the mistakes and&nbsp; foibles of humanity.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>------------------------------------------- </p><p>"Breathe. This is like most of the choices you have in life. <br />You know inside whether it's right. <br />Whether you do it is up to you." </p><p>From the Tao of Willie Nelson</p> </div>

A

asj2006

<p>Wonder how long it'll take them to start on any space lab - I'm hoping they instead join a multi-national consortium - seems kinda wasteful to have these duplications of effort.</p><p>http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUKTRE48Q0GW20080927</p><p><em>Zhai Zhigang, the 41-year-old son of a snack-seller chosen for the first "extra-vehicular activity," will don a $4.4 million (2.4 million pounds) Chinese-made suit. Fellow astronaut Liu Boming will wear a Russian-made one and act as a back-up for changes or mishaps.</em></p> <p><em>The walk of about 20 minutes -- 40 counting time outside the capsule -- is a step towards China's longer-term goal of assembling a space lab and then a larger space station. The fast-growing Asian power wants to be sure of a say in how space and its potential resources are used.</em></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>------------------------------------------- </p><p>"Breathe. This is like most of the choices you have in life. <br />You know inside whether it's right. <br />Whether you do it is up to you." </p><p>From the Tao of Willie Nelson</p> </div>

C

centsworth_II

<p><font color="#333399"><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'm American, but the amount of bitterness and envy towards China we have displayed recently is embarrasing....&nbsp; <br /> Posted by asj2006</DIV></font><br />The posts I have read show nothing but encouragement and support for the Chinese space program. The Chinese press is another matter.</p><p>I also am American and you should know how seriously we take honesty in factual news reporting.&nbsp; When fake stories are revealed in US press reports it is considered scandalous.&nbsp; How is it disrespectful to the Chinese to be just as shocked by a fake story there as I would be if it were the product of an American reporter? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

asj2006

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The posts I have read show nothing but encouragement and support for the Chinese space program.</DIV></p><p>I dunno, in one thread people were denigrating China's R&D budget for the space program as being simple "xerox fees". Granted, that's hell funny* ;-) </p><p>* although it would be even funnier if China ended up buying Xerox ... LOL </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>------------------------------------------- </p><p>"Breathe. This is like most of the choices you have in life. <br />You know inside whether it's right. <br />Whether you do it is up to you." </p><p>From the Tao of Willie Nelson</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I dunno, in one thread people were denigrating China's R&D budget for the space program as being simple "xerox fees". Granted, that's hell funny* ;-) * although it would be even funnier if China ended up buying Xerox ... LOL &nbsp; <br />Posted by asj2006</DIV></p><p>I did not find it funny at all, but an denigration of Chinese achievements by pandering to the prejudices and sterotypes.</p><p>Jon</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p>It is remarkable how roomy Shenzhou is,copared to Soyuz.&nbsp; But then it does have 40% greater volume.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I wonder if they will ever be able to squeeze in a foruth crewman?</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

A

asj2006

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It is remarkable how roomy Shenzhou is,copared to Soyuz.&nbsp; But then it does have 40% greater volume.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I wonder if they will ever be able to squeeze in a foruth crewman?Jon <br /> Posted by jonclarke</DIV></p><p>Only if she's a WOman ...hyuk hyuk hyuk....</p><p>Btw, looks like Zhai will be the spacewalker...</p><p>http://www.cctv.com/english/20080927/101741.shtml</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>------------------------------------------- </p><p>"Breathe. This is like most of the choices you have in life. <br />You know inside whether it's right. <br />Whether you do it is up to you." </p><p>From the Tao of Willie Nelson</p> </div>

Z

zhang

<p>Guys, we are off-topic. This thread is about Shenzhou 7 mission, not Chinese media or something else.</p><p>Added some info:</p><p>Working pressure of the EVA suits are about 40% atmosphere pressure. Pre-breath time is about 30 min. Suits are ready on 02:00 am today. Zhi is chosen to perform the EVA. </p>

Z

zhang

<p>OM depressurized to 70 Kpa on 15:40 pm GMT+8</p><p>Pre-breath started and to last half an hour. Depressurization to resume on 16:10 </p>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Guys, we are off-topic. This thread is about Shenzhou 7 mission, not Chinese media or something else.Added some info:Working pressure of the EVA suits are about 40% atmosphere pressure. Pre-breath time is about 30 min. Suits are ready on 02:00 am today. Zhi is chosen to perform the EVA. <br />Posted by zhang</DIV></p><p>Interesting!&nbsp; That is quite a high pressure compared with other suits which are typically 20-30% atmospheric pressure. Any idea why this was chosen?&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Z

zhang

Less pre-breath time is the main reason I think. They are doing pre-breath AFTER after the suit is put on.

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Less pre-breath time is the main reason I think. They are doing pre-breath AFTER after the suit is put on. <br />Posted by zhang</DIV></p><p>that would mke sense with a pre-breath of only 20 minutes<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Z

zhang

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>that would mke sense with a pre-breath of only 20 minutes <br /> Posted by jonclarke</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>But the obvious disadvantage is that suit is more rigid and a lot harder to operate.</p>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;But the obvious disadvantage is that suit is more rigid and a lot harder to operate. <br />Posted by zhang</DIV></p><p>Especially the gloves!&nbsp; But I note the Orlan, which the Chinese suits resembles, also operates at 40%.&nbsp; The Orlan has an impressive reputation, so obviously it is not too big a handicap.</p><p>I have been&nbsp;having trouble connecting to the live webcast of the space walk&nbsp; Are you watching it?&nbsp; Edit - I see that you are!</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts