Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gravity_Ray

I rather enjoy it when people on this board write about this universe having edges, or talk about what is "outside" of this universe, or Aliens just dropping in and saying hello.

So when I saw this short video about the scale of things I thought I share it. Actually it doesn’t make me feel small, just makes me sure how great God is.

http://www.wimp.com/starsize/

So the next time somebody talks about a "particle" zipping around the universe and making everything like a cathode ray tube, or us humans ever really understanding what this universe is all about, show em this video and chuckle. :p

A

a_lost_packet_

Nice vid! I always enjoy those types of stellar comparison vids and such.

Psst - Size doesn't matter. Well, at least to half of the population...

(side note: I'd love to have Cinema 4D and AfterEffects... a bit too pricey for what I do right now.. maybe one day..)

M

MeteorWayne

Boris_Badenov":n8xauqwe said:
This should be in Space Science & Astronomy.

It is now. But if the free space loonies post there too much, I will delete the Free Space connection
MW

S

starsinmyeyes44

Thanks for posting this, Gravity_Ray. I, too, love these comparison videos.

S

starsinmyeyes44

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1NkoZeTEWc[/youtube]

Here's one that I like that I have posted on here before.

F

Fallingstar1971

Size is tricky........

Take you and me. People "Size" yet made up of tiny cells. Those cells are gigantic compared to strands of DNA. Those strands are gigantic compared to the atoms that make up the molecule.

Going the other way, the Universe itself is the largest visible thing known. Is there anything larger? Nobody knows at the present time. All we know, is that we dont know enough. And as long as we are inside, we will never be able to see what is outside. We can speculate, but thats all.

So to me, "Size" is not important.

Lets talk "Mass" instead. You can have billions of suns worth of mass compacted down into a teeny tiny "size" If you could control gravity, you could put one of these in your pocket. Imagine, an anchor for an entire galaxy being tossed around with your loose change and pocket lint.

Not bad for being an insignificant spec in the Universe. Tiny on the scale of everything and gigantic on the scale of the atomic things.

Star

S

StarRider1701

Thanks Gravity Ray, its what I've been trying to say all along to all those folk you mentioned who seem to stress about finding the edge or the outside of the Universe, as if one Universe wasn't big enough!!!

E

EarthlingX

Both are nice looking vids, but not what i would expect as showing something real - not a class material. Besides, those messages at the end are not necessary and ruin the show. Second one is more to my taste, from a graphic and informational point of view, without that message at the end.

I think, there is a difference between big and small, due to the quantization of matter - bigger objects tend to have more particles in general. If particles act like a chaos black-box, more of them give more chances for more variety in patterns coming out as a result.
We should probably be able to see this result even here on Earth, with aircraft, ships and cars, as example.

E

EarthlingX

Try this, ignore last couple of numbers - it has a HD version, recommended :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FwCMnyWZDg[/youtube]

S

SpeedFreek

Nice video, and the last couple of numbers are actually correct. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.