STS-121 Preparations and status

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anotheridiot

I thought they wanted the first two launches during the day for filming purposes.<br /><br />But watching the shuttle return on the infra red camera, I'm sure there is enough night vision equipment to see the whole launch. Not to mess with the foam anymore but maybe even a fluorescent penetrant sprayed on would be able to be picked up under a uv system and even see more tiny pieces falling off if she was launched at night.<br /><br />Anyway, what happened with the tile at the front landing gear door? Was there redundant tile behind it. When steve was out there he described it as a 3" triangle between 2 tiles and they werent afraid to reenter even after the air pressure loss of rear landing gear tire witnessed during the columbia reentry.<br /><br />I just bring up the tile because it seemed like he was cut off and moved away before he explained too much about the tile. Alot of the little foam pieces werent different than previous flights and nasa seemed to have to explain every tiny instance. If it gets too political we are never gonna get moving like we have to.

E

emerrill

"Anyway, what happened with the tile at the front landing gear door? Was there redundant tile behind it. When steve was out there he described it as a 3" triangle between 2 tiles and they werent afraid to reenter even after the air pressure loss of rear landing gear tire witnessed during the columbia reentry. "<br /><br />They were not worried because the depth was pretty shallow. The tiles were thicker in that region for aerodynamic reasons then are need for thermal reasons.<br /><br />Also, there are thermal barriers in the gap between the door and the body. Now, the depth of this defect was such that it was still above the first barrier, and, at least on the nose gear door, there is a second barrier, so even if the defect was deeper, they likely would have had not problem with OKing an entry.<br /><br />They are working on adding a second barrier to the main gear doors, but they are not currently in place.<br /><br />-eric <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

emerrill

Pic here:<br />http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/123640main_003_post_mmt_072605.jpg<br /><br />Note that it is 'upside down', so the outside of the orbiter is up. <br /><br />The defect is essentially if you follow the line from the 'Stitch something thread as required', and took off the part of tile that it bisected (the little wedge), you would have the defect seen on Discovery.<br /><br />-eric <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_rtf

Well the MAF Data Review is facinating. <br /><br />ET-119 (Discovery STS-115) is being sent back to MAF<br />ET-118 is going to be following soon after for a repair to support STS-301 (Discovery) requirements to STS-121 (Atlantis).<br />ET-120 Stays and STS-121 flow continues - under order of Wayne Hale.<br /><br />If I'm reading this right, some people are going to get sacked - trying to work out what I can run without fueling the witch hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.