This has been a bad year so far for Sci Fi nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

On the small screen as well as the big one it just doesn't seem like there's much worth blogging about in the SciFi world right now.

J

JasonChapman

It hasn't been a brilliant year so far has it, cinema or small screen. I think that's partly due to a closed minded industry, unwilling to let new people in. Science fiction is a medium that can evolve, but you have the same old people creating the same old story lines. Lets face it Star Wars, has run its course but George still clings grimly as if he hasn't made enough money already.
The new Predators film coming out soon, is nothing new, looks like an updated version of the original Arnie film. The Last Airbender looks promising, but that a mixture of fantasy and Sci-Fi. I will go and see Iron Man 2, but I fear it will end up being criticised the way Transformers 2 was last year. Dr Who has come under heavy fire especially last week’s episode. Stargate Universe is plainly Boring, the only thing holding my attention at the moment is Fringe. And where the hell is Spielberg these days, has the creative bubble burst for him.

J

JonClarke

JasonChapman":2d6jqmdx said:
It hasn't been a brilliant year so far has it, cinema or small screen. I think that's partly due to a closed minded industry, unwilling to let new people in. Science fiction is a medium that can evolve, but you have the same old people creating the same old story lines. Lets face it Star Wars, has run its course but George still clings grimly as if he hasn't made enough money already.
The new Predators film coming out soon, is nothing new, looks like an updated version of the original Arnie film. The Last Airbender looks promising, but that a mixture of fantasy and Sci-Fi. I will go and see Iron Man 2, but I fear it will end up being criticised the way Transformers 2 was last year. Dr Who has come under heavy fire especially last week’s episode. Stargate Universe is plainly Boring, the only thing holding my attention at the moment is Fringe. And where the hell is Spielberg these days, has the creative bubble burst for him.

what was wrong with last week's Dr Who?

The episodes I have seen so far have ranged from passable to good, and by account the two weeking angel episodes are excellent.

Aslo Flash Foreard continues to entertain (have not seen many episodes thios year). So all is not dark.

E

eburacum45

That's right; Stephen Moffat seems to like subverting certain SF cliches. Using artificial gravity in that way is quite innovative (on TV, at least).

J

JasonChapman

JonClarke":3r60nb0q said:
JasonChapman":3r60nb0q said:

The episodes I have seen so far have ranged from passable to good, and by account the two weeking angel episodes are excellent.

Aslo Flash Foreard continues to entertain (have not seen many episodes thios year). So all is not dark.

Just didn't like the part where Amy Pond tried to seduce the Doctor. I realise that the BBC may be trying to break new Ground here but its the same if Captain Kirk were to jump in bed with Spock. I'm sure there'd be a few cheesed off trekkies out there.

S

summoner

Movies and tv don't count. I think it's been a great year, you can get Kindle books on your computer now. I've already read the first 2 books of Peter Hamilton's Void series (kind of a continuation of Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained) and the third is due out in August. I live about 30 miles from the nearest book store so this is a godsend for me. I can get books when I need them, don't need no stinkin' tv. :)

S

StarRider1701

JasonChapman":lki4ux8d said:

Aslo Flash Foreard continues to entertain... So all is not dark.

Dr. Who sucks. I never watched the old but tried to watch a couple of episodes of the new. The writing was horrible and the humor was totally purile and infantile. It seem to me that the hight of humor for the writers was the latest fart joke made up by their 5 yr old children. Gag...

Yes, Flash Forward is good as is V on the small screen. I too will watch Iron Man 2, but I won't care what the critics say about it. I've never figured out why some folk allow idiot, know-nothing critics to decide for them whether or not to like a movie?!?

One must remember that GOOD Science Fiction has always been a rare gem on either the big or small screen. Have patience, those gems will always pop up from time to time...

C

crazyeddie

StarRider1701":2qb0o9n1 said:
Dr. Who sucks. I never watched the old but tried to watch a couple of episodes of the new. The writing was horrible and the humor was totally purile and infantile. It seem to me that the hight of humor for the writers was the latest fart joke made up by their 5 yr old children. Gag...

Really? Everyone I know loves this show. Oh well, different strokes for different folks! Have you tried watching Torchwood, the spin-off? It's a lot edgier.

Z

ZenGalacticore

It's been a bad 25 or more years for science-fiction "Nuts", IMO.

Science-Fiction is rarely done well. I'm glad more people are starting to notice.

But I'm not judging or criticizing, "Dr. Who", since I've never watched it to any extent. I can't say what I think of it.

B

bdewoody

StarRider1701":1tkzlv90 said:
JasonChapman":1tkzlv90 said:

Aslo Flash Foreard continues to entertain... So all is not dark.

Yes, Flash Forward is good as is V on the small screen. I too will watch Iron Man 2, but I won't care what the critics say about it. I've never figured out why some folk allow idiot, know-nothing critics to decide for them whether or not to like a movie?!?

One must remember that GOOD Science Fiction has always been a rare gem on either the big or small screen. Have patience, those gems will always pop up from time to time...
I was beginning to think I was the only person that just can't get into "Dr. Who" It's like you not cool if you don't like it.

S

SpacexULA

JasonChapman":20hucjki said:
Just didn't like the part where Amy Pond tried to seduce the Doctor. I realise that the BBC may be trying to break new Ground here but its the same if Captain Kirk were to jump in bed with Spock. I'm sure there'd be a few cheesed off trekkies out there.

Moff was just showing how absolutely unhinged Amy was, and that this Doctor has returned to the flirty non sexual that the Doctor used to be.

V is good, Iron Man II was good, Doctor who is much better than it has been the last few years, I liked defying gravity (at least they had more physics right than most), Time Traveler's wife was good (best use of time travel to date), Tron will likely be good, District 9 was GREAT.

I do like that Science Fiction is tending closer to the Hard Science Fiction path as of late. I am so sick of Warp engines, & huminoid aliens. I hope the new V are not humanoid...

B

bdewoody

Tonights movie on Syfy is an example of what I mean. Monster Worm from Mongolia????????

J

JonClarke

JasonChapman":3p7c6ujn said:

Fair enough, but it seems to be a tradition of the new series that the companions are attracted to the Dr. Ros, Martha, Donna, Capt. Jack.

I don't particularly like it - no hankypanky in the TARDIS dammit! - but it is only one small aspect of the whole story.

J

JonClarke

StarRider1701":378w4boe said:
Dr. Who sucks. I never watched the old but tried to watch a couple of episodes of the new.

So you have not really seen enough to have a meaningful opinion then.

The writing was horrible...

Horrible? really? You couldn't have seen Dalek then, or Blink, or Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, or Midnight. Perhaps you should. Of the old series Inferno or City of Death, spring to mind. maybe you should see these before passing such comments.

...and the humor was totally purile and infantile. It seem to me that the hight of humor for the writers was the latest fart joke made up by their 5 yr old children. Gag...

Purile? Infantile? It is actually dry, ironic, and self depracating. Fart jokes? None so far, although the Sytheen did have a flatulance problem that was not a joke but a minor plot point.

It doesn't have to be your thing, (for me Star Trek is only mildly interesting and as for Firefly - Bleah) but I would suggest you refrain ill-informed statements.

P

pymi

ZenGalacticore":1xdde8mx said:

Science-Fiction is rarely done well. I'm glad more people are starting to notice.
+1 and what's going on with the syfy channel, it's just plain aweful.

S

StarRider1701

JonClarke":gw4qodco said:
StarRider1701":gw4qodco said:
Dr. Who sucks.

I would suggest you refrain ill-informed statements.

I watched 2 episodes in an attempt to join in on the Dr. Who hoopla. Everyone said it was good. It was NOT! I said it before and I'll say it again: "Dr. Who sucks." My statement is not "ill informed" but based upon my experiences.

OH yeah, and your British "Dry humor" is another way of saying, "Not Funny" for those of us who actually have a sense of humor. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Oh Jolly, Pip Pip that was so Hilarious I nearly laughed out loud!" :roll:

A

andrew_t1000

I've been watching Dr Who since I was like 4! So thats about 43 years!
The one constant you can count on, is EVERYONE hates the new Doctor!
Everyone bagged John Pertwee, then he became one of the most popular Doctors ever, until Tom Baker.
And everyone hated Tom Baker the first couple of stories!

As for not getting the humour, maybe you need to be from a Commonwealth country!

Doctor Who is one of Aunty's greatest achievements, that and the David Attenborough shows!

J

JonClarke

StarRider1701":2xms6pp8 said:
I watched 2 episodes in an attempt to join in on the Dr. Who hoopla. Everyone said it was good. It was NOT! I said it before and I'll say it again: "Dr. Who sucks." My statement is not "ill informed" but based upon my experiences.

Only two out of hundreds of stories? Sorry, that defines you as ill-informed. Especially when you categorise as "purile" and "infantile" a program that has run for decades, is internationally popular, and has won many awards. You don't have to like it, of course, but at least refrain from showing your ignorance with such statements. Which two did you see anyway?

OH yeah, and your British "Dry humor" is another way of saying, "Not Funny" for those of us who actually have a sense of humor. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again, each to their own in something as individual as humour. But you are again factually wrong when you think the humour in Dr Who is restricted to fart jokes. Especially when 1) there have not been any (show me wrong) and 2) there is a diversity of humour used.

And your point is?

S

StarRider1701

JonClarke":1tk8fx55 said:
StarRider1701":1tk8fx55 said:

Again, each to their own in something as individual as humour. But you are again factually wrong when you think the humour in Dr Who is restricted to fart jokes. Especially when 1) there have not been any (show me wrong) and 2) there is a diversity of humour used.

And your point is?

Well now, you've just proven to everyone that you don't have a sense of humor!!! The above is clearly a joke, making fun of the stodgy Brits! Ooops, that's you, isn't it?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't say "restricted to fart jokes" I said that fart jokes seemed to be the hight of thier humor. The rest of their attempts at humor were less impressive than that.

You like the show, I don't. Obviously we're never going to agree. Get over it.

K

kelvinzero

JasonChapman":n0s1fxeo said:

And some who would be thrilled.. haven't you read the fanfic? ;)

J

JonClarke

StarRider1701":33qyzahj said:
Well now, you've just proven to everyone that you don't have a sense of humor!!! The above is clearly a joke, making fun of the stodgy Brits! Ooops, that's you, isn't it?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

If that's a joke, don't give up your day job (assuming you have one).

I didn't say "restricted to fart jokes" I said that fart jokes seemed to be the hight of thier humor. The rest of their attempts at humor were less impressive than that.

Once again, what fart jokes? The rest of the humour less impressive than fart jokes? Obviously you don't like self depracation, irony, satire, word play, farce.... That's OK. It's your loss.

You like the show, I don't. Obviously we're never going to agree. Get over it.

Of course you are free not to like it. But at least it would be good if you based dislike on knowledge, rather than ignorance.

K

kelvinzero

pymi":1t199do0 said:
ZenGalacticore":1t199do0 said:

+1 and what's going on with the syfy channel, it's just plain aweful.

I don't get the scifi channel but I have seen some videos from it. 'a bit cheezy'

Im sort of hoping for a renaissance now that effects are becoming so cheap, so anyone can make a scifi without being forced to use some tried and tested formula. Unfortunately most of the low budget stuff I have seen on youtube and in videostores places an even lower priority on story than the mainstream. For example I just watched a movie called "Terminators".. shows how low I am prepared to stoop.

The thing is.. despite how awful such movies are, it is still a huge effort.Just look at the credits to see how many people just had to turn up. The actors and effects were good enough to carry a story. I don't see why there is not a bit more effort to make the story original. There are lots of good short stories that never become movies.

S

StarRider1701

kelvinzero":x4fin2xy said:
I don't get the scifi channel but I have seen some videos from it. 'a bit cheezy'

Trust me, since they've changed to SyFy, you ain't missing much!

The thing is.. despite how awful such movies are, it is still a huge effort.Just look at the credits to see how many people just had to turn up. The actors and effects were good enough to carry a story. I don't see why there is not a bit more effort to make the story original. There are lots of good short stories that never become movies.

And not just short stories. There are plenty of good books out there that have never been made into movies. Many of those were not possible in the past because of FX limitations. I'm waiting for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, although it might take a Television series to do that story justice. A two or three hour movie would NOT cut it.

A

a_lost_packet_

StarRider1701":1uthnwjd said:
..And not just short stories. There are plenty of good books out there that have never been made into movies. Many of those were not possible in the past because of FX limitations. I'm waiting for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, although it might take a Television series to do that story justice. A two or three hour movie would NOT cut it.

Good recommendation. Yes, it would take a miniseries to do it justice.

One of the problems with SyFy is that the Sci-Fi fanbase has certain expectations when a television channel goes running around calling itself by that moniker. The SyFy channel is "hit & miss" on Science Fiction and, unfortunately, they've seem to be missing quite a lot.

We're a dignified bunch, us Science Fiction Geeks. There are some things we'll take in the name of promoting our genre and some things we won't. We don't simply stare, glassy eyed and drooling, at anything served up under the guise of being science fiction. In fact, I'd say true science fiction fans are pretty critical when it comes to being exploited. A television channel with the temerity to snatch the name Science Fiction from under us had best be capable of living up to the title. SyFy just doesn't take great pains to do that.

K

kelvinzero

I would like to see a good moon hard science fiction. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress could be a good candidate. There was a certain "man, professor, girl, robot" cliche that was standard for the time but I personally think should be reworked a bit. You can have all those characters (and the AI possibly approaching a new evolutionary stage was one of the most modern) but there is a tendency in old stories for a small group to lead all the plot. This is a story as big as the war of american independence.

Closer to the OP topic,
I remember a discussion a while ago about enthusiasts funding space missions. Before trying that, it could be interesting to see if enthusiasts could fund the science fiction they want to see. I imagine something along the lines that a producer comes up with a proposal and a price that has to be raised by enthusiasts before some reputable studio is willing to invest the rest, This agreement is gotten from them in advance and also demonstrates that the project is legitimate.

The money donated by an individual enthusiast has to be small, perhaps around or a bit more than a new release DVD. If the project is not started within some time period the money reverts to the donator.

I hear that effort by fans has sometimes inspired movies to be made. This could be a way of formalizing this. The enthusast would of course get a 'collectors edition' of the result that cannot be gained any other way, possibly there could even be some payback on the investment if it does well in additional sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts