H.G. Wells War of the Worlds on SciFi Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rogers_buck

Did you see it? What did you think?<br /><br />I nearly missed this show and the reason is ironic at best. I was busy screwing around with the optical connection between my DVD and home theatre so that I could watch the Speelberg/Cruz version on DVD. As part of my swearing, cursing, and pressing of buttons I popped back to the satellite and there it was! I missed the first half hour or so, but it wasn't all that bad. Set in modern times though it was, it did seem to follow the book more faithfully than the 1950s version. It wasn't a powerhouse of special effects - and that's fine with me.<br /><br />I would like to see this version again from the start. I wonder when the SciFi channel will air it again?<br /><br />BTW I still havent watched the Speelberg version as yet... <br /><br />

O

ordinary_guy

Saw a promo for it but I haven't seen it yet. I would like to catch it.<br /><br />If it was a SciFi production, they'll likely air it another 140 times in the next six months. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px"><strong>Mere precedent is a dangerous source of authority.</strong></p> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px">-Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)</p> </div>

C

contracommando

<i>“Did you see it? What did you think?</i>"<br /><br />I haven’t seen it, only the promos. And they look pretty cheap, embarrassingly so. I don’t mind a movie having little or no special effects (some of the best don’t); but when they are <u>obviously</u> fake, it makes it look too much like a cartoon -- which destroys the realism of the movie.<br /><br />Sci-fi needs to come up with something a little more original than “Ahhh, the aliens are attacking” horror movies.

T

twinklie

I haven't seen it.....it's supposed to be on this weekend....I look forward to it.....what an incredibly historic sci fi story.......I loved the old film and still peruse the book on occasion.....I am really REALLY looking forward to the next generation of digital artists entering the wonderful world of the classics with their talents!!<br /><br />Wouldn't miss it for the world!<br /><br />twinklie

S

Swampcat

<font color="yellow">"...I still havent watched the Speelberg version as yet..."</font><br /><br />I finally saw the Spielberg version a couple of days ago. I thought it was a waste of my time. Aside from some decent graphics, the screenplay was bad and there was too much that was just plain stupid...like crowds of people rushing along with the military toward a battle, and conveniently cleared lanes for Cruise's character to drive the only working vehicle through even when a 747 crashed pretty much right over the vehicle. <br /><br />Frankly, IMO, this was Spielberg's worst film by far. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

R

rogers_buck

No, I didn't know that. However you remind me of a really really bad series that was out in the late 70s called "The War of the Worlds". It was intended to be an extension of the 50s movie. It was really, really bad...<br />

R

rogers_buck

Ah. Well that was a seriously bad series. It started with the dead Martians (no longer from Mars though) being stored in drums at hazmat facility. Somehow the critters were only deeply sick from the eartly microbes but not dead. There was cross contamination of the deadish non-martians with nuclear waste which killed the terrestrial bugs and let loose the non-martians from heir drums. The ressurected aliens had the ability to climb inside people and use their bodies. They could also attack from inside by reaching out a 3 fingered arm and causing the camera to fade to black.<br /><br />They did fire up one of the old war machines from hanger 22 at Roswell and flew it around for a while. They also fired up a 3 legged machine relic of an 1800s invasion attempt. The premiss was that the masses didn't remember the martian attacks (exactly) because of mass histeria.<br /><br />The aliens wound up haning out in a nuclear dumpster inside a mountain wearing rain coats. It really, really sucked.<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts