Other Universis

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacecrusader

Ok, just sit and ponder as you read this, let your brain soak it up.<br />What if, as i were... writing, Star Wars was actually happening just as the script-writers envisioned it. With light sabers and all the other fun things. As we all know there are Billions of Galaxies just waiting to be searched. What if all of our TV dramas and movies about space where alive and happening right now, out there somewhere? Just think about it, if there was an actual Luke Skywalker fighting the evil vader. But of course, most of us wont see past our own galaxy.<br />Just think about it...

L

lampblack

An idea like that cropped up occasionally in Heinlein -- that notion of an infinity of alternative realities. In some of those universes, he coyly noted, the world that "we" view as "real" crops up only in the pages of fiction.<br /><br />"Imagine," one of his storybook characters says, "a world in which we appear only as characters in a book." (Or words to that effect...) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Just tell the truth and let the chips fall...</strong></font> </div>

D

docm

Heinlein's idea was pantheistic solipsism (world-as-myth) first used in his novel The Number Of The Beast. The number of universes in it was only limited by the Biblical number of the beast, but not as we understood it BH (Before Heinlein);<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>....the Biblical number of the beast turns out to be, not 666, but {(6^6)}^6 , or 10,314,424,798,490,535,546,171,949,056, which is the number of parallel universes accessible to the protagonists.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

P

pmn1

If you have watched QI (a UK TV program for those outside the UK) then you will have learned that the most recent translation of the oldest surviving manuscript of Revelation shows "the number of the beast" is 616, not 666.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Y

yevaud

6<sup>6<sup>6</sup></sup> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.