STS-117 (13A) Mission- Part III

Page 16 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

06.29.07<br />George Diller<br />Kennedy Space Center, Fla.<br />321-867-2468<br /><br />STATUS REPORT: S-062907<br />NASA'S SPACE SHUTTLE PROCESSING STATUS REPORT<br /><br />Mission: STS-117 - 21st International Space Station Flight (13A) - <br />S3/S4 Truss Segment Solar Arrays <br />Vehicle: Atlantis (OV-104) <br />Official Launch Date: June 8, 2007 <br />Official Landing Date: June 22, 2007 <br />Crew: Sturckow, Archambault, Reilly, Swanson, Forrester, Olivas and <br />Williams <br /><br />At NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base, <br />Atlantis has undergone a week of preparation for its ferry flight <br />back to KSC aboard the shuttle carrier aircraft. The SCA is a <br />modified Boeing 747 airplane, which transports the orbiter in <br />piggyback fashion. The first opportunity for the flight is Saturday <br />and will be dependent on weather conditions across the country. <br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

J

jschaef5

About the joint, i would say its no more than a foot and a half in diameter although its hard to estimate the size when the only reference I've had is the 747.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

U

usn_skwerl

IIRC the (LOX, and im guessing LH2, too) feedlines are 17" or 18" across...it makes sense to assume the fitting is the same....::nods:: <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bpcooper

Both the LH2 and LO2 feedline are 17 inches in diameter, including at the ET/Orbiter connection. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

J

jschaef5

Anyone else think its odd that they flew UP to nebraska? Looking at a map it seems to make more sense to just have stayed in texas, the distance to florida is about the same.<br /><br />What was the reason for this decision? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

emerrill

Just an update for people, from spaceflightnow:<br /><br />Shuttle Atlantis left Edwards Air Force Base, California, at 9:04 a.m. EDT Sunday to begin a cross-country piggyback ride atop a modified 747 carrier jet. The duo flew east to the Texas Panhandle, landing in Amarillo shortly before noon EDT for a two-hour refueling stop. The ferry flight completed a 100-minute northeastward leg to Offutt AFB in the afternoon, arriving about 3:45 p.m. EDT for an overnight stay at the military installation on the eastern border of Nebraska. Atlantis continued to Kentucky's Fort Campbell this morning, arriving at 10:35 a.m. EDT. Weather will determine when arrival at Kennedy Space Center -- the shuttle homeport in Florida -- can occur. <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Weather, I would suspect.<br /><br /> Here's the US radar; note the center of circulation in eastern Texas.<br />It ain't movin', just spinning around.<br />So I suspect they are going over the top of it, and currently are looking for a clear corridor to Florida.<br /><br />It may be many days before a Direct route through Texas would have been available.<br />Meteor(ology) Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

Swampcat

<font color="yellow">" Atlantis continued to Kentucky's Fort Campbell this morning..."</font><br /><br />Geez, missed it by only 32 years or so.<br /><br />I was stationed at Fort Campbell in 1974-75 when I was with the 101st, back when Enterprise was just being built ...lived in a mobile home right under the approach to Campbell Army Airfield and worked at the airfield dispensary. <br /><br />It would have been so cool to go to work and see the Orbiter and SCA sitting on the tarmac.<br /><br />Has this location been used before? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

J

jschaef5

"Weather, I would suspect."<br /><br />Ah yes, I have nearly forgotten what weather is, as it is about 100 degrees and sunny everyday here. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

emerrill

Looks like they have officially scrapped today, and are planning to try to get in early tomorrow (landing 0830 EDT) before the afternoon florida storms form. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts