STS-131 Pre Launch Discussion (April 5,6:21 AM EDT)

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EarthlingX

Re: STS-131 Pre Launch Discussion

There is some error with video in your last post. I found this to be working :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owLGXHOWS8A[/youtube]

Z

Zipi

EarthlingX":13r2zg6j said:
There is some error with video in your last post. I found this to be working :

Both are working for me and are pointing to excatly the same video... And excatly the same tags are used. Sometimes Youtube does its tricks and you have to reload the page to make it work.

E

EarthlingX

I tried it now, and it's just like you said .. Thanks for explaining :)

E

EarthlingX

STS-131 CREW TRAINS AT THE KENNEDY SPACE CENTER
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTLgdfojl2w[/youtube]

and

Shuttle Discovery Launch Pad Bound
Wed, 03 Mar 2010 08:58:19 AM GMT

Space shuttle Discovery's move to Launch Pad 39A for its STS-131 mission is
under way. First motion out of the Vehicle Assembly Building at NASA's
Kennedy Space Center in Florida was at 11:58 p.m. EST on Tuesday.

Despite a gusty wind at Kennedy, it's not expected to exceed the allowable
limits of 40 knots (46 mph) with gusts to 60 knots (69 mph).

Discovery is expected to complete its 3.4 mile trip and be secured down on
the launch pad at about 7 a.m.

NASA Television's live video coverage of the move, known as rollout, will
begin at 6:30 a.m.

The seven astronauts for Discovery's STS-131 mission, who are at Kennedy for
their launch countdown dress rehearsal training called the Terminal
Countdown Demonstration Test, were on-hand to watch the start of rollout.

Z

Zipi

pad5.jpg

Spaceflight Now rollout article: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/s ... 03rollout/
Spaceflight Now rollout gallery: http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts13 ... index.html
(four pages of images :cool:)

E

EarthlingX

Mmmm..... :p :cool:

( Ben Cooper )
10.jpg

( Justin Ray )
14.jpg

( Stephen Clark )
pad1.jpg

Khm .. anyway, see for yourselves :mrgreen:

S

shuttle_guy

Re: STS-131 Pre Launch Discussion (Target April 5)

NASA let us contractors bring non badged people onto KSC for the roll out of the VAB early this nornning ( 2358 hrs local). We were there for about 1 1/2 hours. At the vehicle's closest approach we were about 100 meters away.
My wife had never seen a rollout. She was impressed!!

Back on the Apollo program we were allowed to bring loads of people in for every rollout. The difference is the Shuttle has the SRBs which, ofcourse, are fully loaded with propellant and the Shuttle Orbiter has residual hypergolic prop. from it's previous mission.

O

ozspace

Is this an unusually short time between roll out and TCDT, which is still scheduled for Friday? I would have thought the time required to connect up and tie down the stack would mean they would be doing the TCDT next week...

Z

Zipi

Rollout Timelapse:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SKsHPw_0_A[/youtube]

NasaTV Rollout Recap:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P057NtvR3i0[/youtube]

S

shuttle_guy

ozspace":z547ucjz said:
Is this an unusually short time between roll out and TCDT, which is still scheduled for Friday? I would have thought the time required to connect up and tie down the stack would mean they would be doing the TCDT next week...

The only itms that must be connected and verified after a roll to the pad is the ground support connections at the pad to the MLP. These checks only take about 3 shifts.

It is true that the time from roll out to TCDT is very short. This is because once the crew schedule is set it is not desirable to move TCDT around and impact their training.

B

bushwhacker

shuttle_guy: I have to say I am so envious of you.
Working on the program and being able to watch the roll outs, and launches.
I'd die for a job at the Cape.

Z

Zipi

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPvxOWOSZCE[/youtube]

E

EarthlingX

This spacewalk looks very tricky, from the timing point of view. The ammonium leak has caused some concern during the STS-130, but it seams they think it has much lower chances for leaking this time.

They are all over the structure, and i find it very impressive, even though they say 'it's not a complex spacewalk'..

Z

Zipi

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L61bY7ZZas[/youtube]

First two minutes are STS-131 related:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHaj6EbxIuI[/youtube]

S

shuttle_guy

We have a problem in the right OMS pod. One or both of the RCS helium isolation are leaking very badly. We would have to roll off the pad and take the Orbiter off the ET to repair this item. However I think we will fly the problem as is since there are 2 more levels of of protection.

A roll back would delay the launch by weeks.

O

ozspace

shuttle_guy":3fxr68dh said:
We have a problem in the right OMS pod. One or both of the RCS helium isolation are leaking very badly. We would have to roll off the pad and take the Orbiter off the ET to repair this item. However I think we will fly the problem as is since there are 2 more levels of of protection.

Hi SG, so if they decide to fly 'as is' would you expect any delay from April 5 for the testing/paperwork, etc?

S

shuttle_guy

ozspace":fcegt2k7 said:
shuttle_guy":fcegt2k7 said:

Hi SG, so if they decide to fly 'as is' would you expect any delay from April 5 for the testing/paperwork, etc?

No.

The design center wants us to run a special test to verify the redundancy but that should not cause any launch delay if everything checks out OK.

M

MeteorWayne

shuttle_guy":jet0cit3 said:

Not quite sure what system you are discussing here. It's helium to pressurize the RCS I assume. What is leaking, a valve or something in the plumbing, or can't tell yet?

Are you back at work?

Z

Zipi

MeteorWayne":14v12aij said:
Not quite sure what system you are discussing here. It's helium to pressurize the RCS I assume. What is leaking, a valve or something in the plumbing, or can't tell yet?

Based on what I have red: some electronically driven valve doesn´t actuate. But Hopefully SG confirms or corrects. ;)

S

shuttle_guy

Zipi":2vtxw9i2 said:
MeteorWayne":2vtxw9i2 said:

Based on what I have red: some electronically driven valve doesn´t actuate. But Hopefully SG confirms or corrects. ;)

The problem is with the valves that control high pressure helium flow into the RCS fuel tank. The valves are in parallel and one or both of them are essentially open when they are closed. The max allowable leakage is 1,000 standard cubit centimeters per hour. The actual leak rate is between 1,000,000 and 5,000,000 SCCH. The valves are elect. actuated and the instrumentation shows the valves do open and close properly.

So far the testing of the redundancy (2 in series regulators) show that the regulators are good. Further testing today and Sunday.

I still say we will fly this problem.

Z

Zipi

shuttle_guy":2zui8sq9 said:
The problem is with the valves that control high pressure helium flow into the RCS fuel tank. The valves are in parallel and one or both of them are essentially open when they are closed. The max allowable leakage is 1,000 standard cubit centimeters per hour. The actual leak rate is between 1,000,000 and 5,000,000 SCCH. The valves are elect. actuated and the instrumentation shows the valves do open and close properly.

So far the testing of the redundancy (2 in series regulators) show that the regulators are good. Further testing today and Sunday.

I still say we will fly this problem.

If we speculate a little bit... What if this RCS system totally fails on orbit? Can we still accomplish the mission with other fully working OMS pod? Or is one fully working OMS pod enough for deorbit when leaving the station?

M

MeteorWayne

Today's NASA Release:

Testing of Discovery's Systems Continue
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:47:00 AM EDT

On Launch Pad 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, technicians completed a test to pressurize space shuttle Discovery's Right Reaction Control System's helium tank to verify the overall health of the regulators downstream of the helium isolation valves. Preliminary data shows positive results for the test. Today, crews will begin preparing Discovery for further testing on the system.

The testing was initiated because of an issue that occurred over the weekend while Discovery's aft fuel propellant tanks were being vented in preparation for fuel loading. The Right Reaction Control System, or RRCS, fuel helium tank pressure unexpectedly decreased in unison with the RRCS fuel propellant tank when the fuel tank was vented. This indicates that at least one of the two parallel helium isolation valves is leaking or is remaining in the open position when it is expected to be closed.

The two helium system regulators, a primary and a secondary, will be tested to verify they are functioning correctly. The regulators are "downstream" of the isolation valves, and help to maintain helium pressure to the fuel tank. Knowing whether the regulators are operating correctly is a key factor for managers who must decide whether to launch with the errant condition of the isolation valves. The test is expected to occur late this week once a ground support equipment test panel has been calibrated. The helium system will be brought to flight pressure and engineers monitoring the panel will ascertain whether the regulators function properly.

Also this week, managers are targeting Friday to move Discovery's payload to Launch Pad 39A, starting at 12:01 a.m. EDT.

There still are a few days of contingency left in the schedule to make the targeted launch date of April 5.

Z

Zipi

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5DJZyXQvT4[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts