How To 

5 Weirdest Theories in Astrophysics

No matter how you look at it, every branch of physics is weird, and astrophysics is no different. The way our universe works is strange, wacky, and also wonderful. Here’s a look at some of the weirdest theories in astrophysics that just might turn out to be true.

1. String Theory
String theory has gained quite the foothold in the physics world, so it might not seem so weird anymore. But once you really delve into it, it’s a little hard to wrap your head around. In essence, string theory sees particles as tiny strings rather than infinitely small points. A key component of string theory is the presence of extra dimensions, between 10 and 26 to be precise (depending on the string theory model).

2. We’re in the Matrix
If someone told you everything we knew could be a computer simulation, wouldn’t you think they were crazy? But as insane as it sounds, it’s one theory about our universe that oddly enough doesn’t bend too far from reality. Known commonly as “Simulation Theory,” it’s the idea that we’re in an advanced computer simulation being controlled by other intelligent lifeforms. Crazy...but just maybe true?

3. Braneworld
Braneworld is part of string theory, but it’s such a complex and important theory on its own that it deserves a separate mention. Brane cosmology proposes that our universe is sitting on a multi-dimensional membrane, and that membrane is located within a “hyperspace.” Collisions between other branes can have an effect on our universe, such as, quite possibly the Big Bang.

4. Rainbow Gravity
Gravity is a constant, right? Well, according to the Rainbow Gravity theory, that just might be inaccurate. This theory asserts different wavelengths of light experience different levels of gravity. With low gravity like that experienced on Earth, this difference wouldn’t be easy to spot. But near something like a black hole, such inconsistencies might be measurable. If Rainbow Gravity is true, it throws a wrench in everything we think we know about the Big Bang.

5. Vanishing Dimensions
The basic premise of Vanishing Dimensions is that when a system has more energy, it has fewer dimensions. Following this logic, the extremely energetic Big Bang would have given rise to very few dimensions, possibly just two total in the beginning. As the universe cooled and expanded, more dimensions cropped up.

rod

Oct 22, 2019
What happened to quantum gravity? Testing models of new math and physics should be rigorous as the debate between the geocentric, immovable Earth vs. the moving Earth and heliocentric solar system, Kepler's planetary laws defining elliptical orbits, Newtons laws of motion, the universal law of gravity. Modeling the origin of the universe using new math and new physics needs rigorous testing like the standard of testing and verification of Kepler's planetary laws defining elliptical orbits, etc. to show that the new physics is indeed, operating throughout the universe, e.g. center of a black hole or here on Earth in the particle accelerators and labs. New physics used to promote the multiverse does not show that the multiverse is real like the observations that overthrew the geocentric, immovable Earth paradigm and replaced with the heliocentric solar system with planets moving in elliptical orbits around the Sun.

Reactions: SpectrumSphere
Dec 11, 2019
The braneworld theory is quite interesting. I have never heard of that until now. I will have to look into that one a little more. Correct me if I am wrong but don't our brain and the universe look similar in some ways?

Jan 4, 2020
i heard of the brane theory many years ago either the late 80s or early 90s it theorized that there was a number of these membranes lay next to each other either horizontal or vertical but what i found interesting was when 2 or more of these membranes made contact like sticky fly paper hanging side by side if some force were to get them to move e.g. wind for example they'd stick together at every point of contact then this could explain the big bang and as we are unable to see, measure or feel any difference from the other (mem)branes because they're other dimensions or perhaps other universes and we live on a flat plain of reality which Einstein's theories only go so far but are unable to explain what happens when the speed of light is past or even reached time is not a constant in this universal reality we inhabit here and this has been proven easily, but light isn't a constant either as blue and red light is used to measure if planets are moving towards us or moving away so light moves in different ways like rainbow gravity i believe that light has different weights so the colours on the top of the rainbows spectrum are lighter than the other end of the spectrum we just don't have the knowledge or are technologically advanced enough to measure such beliefs or statements to satisfy scientific curiosity. i also heard about the multi verse theory around the same time but before i heard of the multi verse theory i always believed that there were infinite universes and realities and we inhabit all of them at once making every decision or life choice for all the infinitely possible or probable outcomes but i can't make any sense from that my problem is we are in these biochemical machines ,our bodies, which are in their own right alive but have a finite shelf life but when the body dies i believe that we are energy and that can't disappear or go anywhere outside of this universal reality (or can it) we are moving around our reality which in the state of the energy we are in when our bodies die we have no memories of previous incarnations only being in a living body and having a brain can we remember knowledge but on a primitive subconscious level we feel things about our journey and what if anything we've learned from previous incarnations and when our journey and our lessons have been learned here only then and only in our ever living state of energy can we cross to a different realm or reality perhaps through a black hole or during the birth of a black hole but for this to happen something or someone has to cross from their realm of reality perhaps through a white hole which is the other end of a black hole this universal balance of cause and effect has to be part of the nature of reality so there are infinite universes and many dimensions artificial intelligence could explain the matrix theory but we aren't at the point of understanding all that we need to know to explain what is? We have made most of our biggest scientific discoveries by mistake when trying to explain something else so the discoveries that were made are not totally understood and we have a long way to go to get there so it's a good job that when our bodies die we as energy live forever.

Reactions: Truthseeker007
Dec 11, 2019
i heard of the brane theory many years ago either the late 80s or early 90s it theorized that there was a number of these membranes lay next to each other either horizontal or vertical but what i found interesting was when 2 or more of these membranes made contact like sticky fly paper hanging side by side if some force were to get them to move e.g. wind for example they'd stick together at every point of contact then this could explain the big bang and as we are unable to see, measure or feel any difference from the other (mem)branes because they're other dimensions or perhaps other universes and we live on a flat plain of reality which Einstein's theories only go so far but are unable to explain what happens when the speed of light is past or even reached time is not a constant in this universal reality we inhabit here and this has been proven easily, but light isn't a constant either as blue and red light is used to measure if planets are moving towards us or moving away so light moves in different ways like rainbow gravity i believe that light has different weights so the colours on the top of the rainbows spectrum are lighter than the other end of the spectrum we just don't have the knowledge or are technologically advanced enough to measure such beliefs or statements to satisfy scientific curiosity. i also heard about the multi verse theory around the same time but before i heard of the multi verse theory i always believed that there were infinite universes and realities and we inhabit all of them at once making every decision or life choice for all the infinitely possible or probable outcomes but i can't make any sense from that my problem is we are in these biochemical machines ,our bodies, which are in their own right alive but have a finite shelf life but when the body dies i believe that we are energy and that can't disappear or go anywhere outside of this universal reality (or can it) we are moving around our reality which in the state of the energy we are in when our bodies die we have no memories of previous incarnations only being in a living body and having a brain can we remember knowledge but on a primitive subconscious level we feel things about our journey and what if anything we've learned from previous incarnations and when our journey and our lessons have been learned here only then and only in our ever living state of energy can we cross to a different realm or reality perhaps through a black hole or during the birth of a black hole but for this to happen something or someone has to cross from their realm of reality perhaps through a white hole which is the other end of a black hole this universal balance of cause and effect has to be part of the nature of reality so there are infinite universes and many dimensions artificial intelligence could explain the matrix theory but we aren't at the point of understanding all that we need to know to explain what is? We have made most of our biggest scientific discoveries by mistake when trying to explain something else so the discoveries that were made are not totally understood and we have a long way to go to get there so it's a good job that when our bodies die we as energy live forever.
I think that is a great way to look at it and makes a lot of sense to me. The only thing I can add is maybe once our energy leaves this body I feel it may go into another dimension sometimes called the inner planes whatever that may be. I know what be obvious though is nothing stays the same forever and their is always constant movement. As in nature where there is death their is always a rebirth but I do think our energy is constant and I don't think it ever dies or can be destroyed.

Jan 4, 2020
I think that is a great way to look at it and makes a lot of sense to me. The only thing I can add is maybe once our energy leaves this body I feel it may go into another dimension sometimes called the inner planes whatever that may be. I know what be obvious though is nothing stays the same forever and their is always constant movement. As in nature where there is death their is always a rebirth but I do think our energy is constant and I don't think it ever dies or can be destroyed.
Yes I had totally agree with you if you really think about it this is the only conclusion that makes sense eh! Here's to eternal life.

Dec 11, 2019
Yes I had totally agree with you if you really think about it this is the only conclusion that makes sense eh! Here's to eternal life.
Yes cheers to it. I am very intrigued and amazed at the findings that Quantum Physics and Mechanics are coming to. It seems the mainstream science has just become stale and outdated so it is refreshing that the Qunatum is connecting some dots.

Jan 4, 2020
Yes cheers to it. I am very intrigued and amazed at the findings that Quantum Physics and Mechanics are coming to. It seems the mainstream science has just become stale and outdated so it is refreshing that the Qunatum is connecting some dots.
Oh don't get me going with the quantum world, an amazing subject the Schrödinger's cat experiment always made me think of the tree that falls in the forest and because nobody's there to observe it does it make a noise but we know that of course it does or does it lol.
Yes a very interesting and intriguing we've hardly scraped the surface of understanding and knowledge about this chaotic newish branch of science. If the human race is to survive as a species firstly we must accept other peoples religions and beliefs after all we are still no better than savages still killing each other because of fear of the difference of our religious beliefs why can't we just accept our differences and then we can concentrate on heading into space that is inevitable if humans are to survive as a species, and to me it feels like its a circle of life that we've done many times before.
Can't wait to see what scientific discoveries and knowledge will be uncovered in the next 20 years if i last that long lol. It certainly is exciting times we're living in at the moment.

Dec 11, 2019
Oh don't get me going with the quantum world, an amazing subject the Schrödinger's cat experiment always made me think of the tree that falls in the forest and because nobody's there to observe it does it make a noise but we know that of course it does or does it lol.
Yes a very interesting and intriguing we've hardly scraped the surface of understanding and knowledge about this chaotic newish branch of science. If the human race is to survive as a species firstly we must accept other peoples religions and beliefs after all we are still no better than savages still killing each other because of fear of the difference of our religious beliefs why can't we just accept our differences and then we can concentrate on heading into space that is inevitable if humans are to survive as a species, and to me it feels like its a circle of life that we've done many times before.
Can't wait to see what scientific discoveries and knowledge will be uncovered in the next 20 years if i last that long lol. It certainly is exciting times we're living in at the moment.
I think religion may be part of the problem which is why people are killing each other. But I supposes if it wasn't religion they were killing each other over it would be territory and color of skin. Humans like to kill each over anything and everything. I think that is something we need to get passed and learn to live with each other no matter the beliefs,skin color and their is plenty of land on this Earth. Maybe we should also stop following these governments orders and joining militarys all over the world. After all if their is no one to fight with how are the Elite going to cause wars? We are really faced with a dilemma if we want to advance as a species here on earth. I like your points.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
I think religion may be part of the problem which is why people are killing each other. But I supposes if it wasn't religion they were killing each other over it would be territory and color of skin. Humans like to kill each over anything and everything. I think that is something we need to get passed and learn to live with each other no matter the beliefs,skin color and their is plenty of land on this Earth. Maybe we should also stop following these governments orders and joining militarys all over the world. After all if their is no one to fight with how are the Elite going to cause wars? We are really faced with a dilemma if we want to advance as a species here on earth. I like your points.
It's definitely a case of education and knowledge after all we are only evolving animals (somewhat intelligent) but still only biological animals with instincts and emotions most of which we are still evolving to where we will be able to understand and control similar to the Vulcans in startrek but using our logical common sense to understand the human condition and once we have reached that point in our evolution then we will be able to accept the differences that as animals we fear through ignorance or perhaps we as a species are so arrogant and think we are at the top of the tree intellectually and biologically in the whole of the cosmos already then in that case we would be incapable of evolving to the point of enlightened knowledge but we are light years away from even being on the path to get to the road that leads us into the realms of possibility that one day we might be capable of living together in peace without killing each other because of being afraid of what we don't understand or accept about what we believe or don't believe but let's start with an easy first step and it's so easy to understand and accept despite all of the differences between us and different beliefs and religions just think about this and be united globally because we are all brothers and sisters, a global identity is within us all and that is if we cut ourselves we all bleed red and that is the only colour we should use to bring us together in unity for we need to be globally united for the challenges we as a species have still to face and time is running down for our home planet earth and only by working together as the family earth will we survive and fulfil the potential to choose our own destiny and not a destiny that has been fated or chosen for us and now is the time of learning and knowing how and what to learn I've given everyone the first easy step to enlightenment as a species

ASK THE COMMUNITY