STS-123 (1 J/A) Mission thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Swampcat

They just stated that the new undocking time would be 7:25 CT. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

ISS and Endeavour have undocked. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>They just stated that the new undocking time would be 7:25 CT. <br />Posted by Swampcat</DIV></p><p>I must have misheard, but that time was indeed correct.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

Swampcat

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I must have misheard, but that time was indeed correct. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Yeah, I misheard 7:57 at one point, then the narrator said 7:25 and that's what was displayed. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

N

newsartist

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'> I'd like to see if I can see the station and/or the craft over the next night or two.&nbsp; By the way ... I'm in upstate SC, so if anyone knows when I might want to look up ... off the top of your head, that is ... I'm all&nbsp;ears and eyes&nbsp;!!!&nbsp;Thanks a lot !!!&nbsp;Sally <br />Posted by sally_wrench</DIV></p><p>Sally, we had a thread on the old site that is in a little flux now as we continue to get used to the new digs. It dealt with us looking for, and reporting back on, spacecraft sightings and launch observations, and expected reentries.</p><p>Look for&nbsp;<strong>"Observing&nbsp;Spacecraft",</strong> under Missions and Launches. You'd better bookmark it, because it falls from the front pages quickly between periods of intense activity.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;I just bumped the start of&nbsp;the new thread onto the top of Missions and Launches.</p><p>Welcome aboard! More eyes are always welcome!<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mah_fl

I saw the ATV and then Endeavor/ISS last night under clear skies in NE Florida.<br />

M

MeteorWayne

<p><br />Landing opportunities tomorrow (I give times in EDT, since it is EDT at the KSC)</p><p>Orbit 248&nbsp; Deorbit Burn 5:58 PM, Landing 7:05 PM<br />Orbit 249&nbsp; Deorbit Burn 7:33 PM, Landing 8:39 PM</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Landing opportunities tomorrow (I give times in EDT, since it is EDT at the KSC)Orbit 248&nbsp; Deorbit Burn 5:58 PM, Landing 7:05 PMOrbit 249&nbsp; Deorbit Burn 7:33 PM, Landing 8:39 PM <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Landing tracks for these orbits.</p><p>http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts123/news/landing.html</p><p>From what I gather, these are the only two landing opportunities today.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Z

Zipi

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Landing tracks for these robits.http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts123/news/landing.htmlFrom what I gather, these are the only two landing opportunities today. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Sadly the first opportunity will be 1:05 AM Finnish time... I'm afraid that I have to go to sleep&nbsp;before that because tomorrow will be a normal workday. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>Payload Bay doors are closed, on to OPS 3.</p><p>Deorbit burn is on track for 5:58 PM EDT (About 1 orbit from now), landing at 7:05 PM EDT</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

canelaw

Sounds as though things aren't looking good for the first attempt - clouds and possibly moisture. They're hoping it will clear up....we should know soon.

Z

Zipi

At least one more orbit&nbsp;to the&nbsp;landing due weather concerns. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

newsartist

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>At least one more orbit&nbsp;to the&nbsp;landing due weather concerns. <br />Posted by Zipi</DIV></p><p>What does Thursday's window /weather situation look like?</p><p>Would Edwards need to come up tomorrow in any case?</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>It's really sad. we used to have dozens of users here for a landing.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>In any case, deorbit burn done, landing at 8:39 PM EDT.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

K

Kwasi13

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;It's really sad. we used to have dozens of users here for a landing.&nbsp;In any case, deorbit burn done, landing at 8:39 PM EDT. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Hi all...</p><p>Yes, it is a pity that not so many people are around here.<br />However I am still sitting in front of my PC in munich/germany long after midnight, waiting STS-123 to touch down on runway 15.<br />For TV spectators a night landing is not the perfect option, as it would have been nice to see Endeavour land 30 mins before sunset :)&nbsp;</p>

S

sally_wrench

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Sally, we had a thread on the old site that is in a little flux now as we continue to get used to the new digs. It dealt with us looking for, and reporting back on, spacecraft sightings and launch observations, and expected reentries.Look for&nbsp;"Observing&nbsp;Spacecraft", under Missions and Launches. You'd better bookmark it, because it falls from the front pages quickly between periods of intense activity.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I just bumped the start of&nbsp;the new thread onto the top of Missions and Launches.Welcome aboard! More eyes are always welcome! <br />Posted by newsartist</DIV></p><p>Thanks for the information !!!&nbsp; Sorry I didn't reply when you sent this, but I had my eyes glued to NASA TV until 9:30, then busy ever since.&nbsp; I have those links saved in a file on my jump drive, but sometimes I'm on a machine that isn't running Office 2007, so for the past two evenings, I've had to come back into this discussion board to get MW's links.&nbsp; Now, I can find them a little easier !!!</p><p>Later, Newsartist ... and enjoy the landing !!!</p><p>Sally</p>

K

Kwasi13

<p>I got satellite TV here.<br />Will cnn or any other news station broadcast the landing?<br /><br /> </p>

S

Swampcat

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I got satellite TV here.Will cnn or any other news station broadcast the landing? <br />Posted by Kwasi13</DIV><br /><br />It's Prime Time, so probably not. Haven't seen any notice on any of the news channels. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It's Prime Time, so probably not. Haven't seen any notice on any of the news channels. <br />Posted by Swampcat</DIV><br /><br />Fox just started showing it live. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

Touchdown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

K

Kwasi13

<p>what kind of flames are coming out from the top of the shuttle?<br />I just hear it is normal... </p>

L

larper

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>what kind of flames are coming out from the top of the shuttle?I just hear it is normal... <br />Posted by Kwasi13</DIV><br /><br />APU flare off <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

S

Swampcat

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>what kind of flames are coming out from the top of the shuttle?I just hear it is normal... <br />Posted by Kwasi13</DIV><br /><br />That's the APU's firing. Normal, but not normally seen on daytime landings.</p><p>I have to admit, I've not seen those before. It was a little disconcerting until they announced what it was.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

K

Kwasi13

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>That's the APU's firing. Normal, but not normally seen on daytime landings.I have to admit, I've not seen those before. It was a little disconcerting until they announced what it was. <br /> Posted by Swampcat</DIV><br />An APU should normally not produce flames, but probably that is due to the infrared cameras, that make it appear more dramatic than it is. However they also appear on obvious "normal" cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts