STS-123 (1 J/A) Mission thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

juliemac

<p>They just astarted breathing O2 for the walk.</p><p>Some thing is happening when I am awake!<br /></p>

Z

Zipi

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>They just astarted breathing O2 for the walk.Some thing is happening when I am awake! <br />Posted by juliemac</DIV><br /><br />Last mission was more friendly for me... For example yesterday they woke up 22:00 in finnish time. Of course I can see a little live action at the morning until they go to sleep. It is a really nice that Nasa TV is sending those flight day highlits. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobw

<strong>Ginger Kerrick</strong> ISS flight director news conference. 12:00 PM central time<br /><br />Dextre is mounted on the mobile platform.&nbsp; Attempts to power it up using all combinations of available power paths have not worked.<br /><br />Canadian Space Agency says it may be that they are attempting to communicate while Dextre is powering up.&nbsp; Will deliver a patch (must be for robotic work station since they can't patch Dextre if they can't communicate) within 24 hours to delay communication attempts for longer time after power up.<br /><br />One other possibility is to power it through the ISS Canadarm II. Ginger didn't say if/when they will try that, just that the possibility exists.<br /><br />Astronauts will check connectors during spacewalk to make sure Dextre is assembled as fully as they expect.&nbsp; One possibility is that a cable may not be connected yet.<br /><br />One task, 25 minutes (sorry, can't remember what), on tonight's spacewalk will have to be postponed if Dextre cannot be powered up by then. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Z

Zipi

The space station and the shuttle crew has been awaken half an hour ago. Soon they will start prepping the first space walk. Unfortunately it is almost a time for me to go to sleep... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

<p>The Japanese Module has been pulled out of the Payload Bay and is about halfway to being seated on Harmony.&nbsp; Meanwhile the spacewalkers are making their way back to Quest to wrap up this first EVA.&nbsp; Everything is looking good so far.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>SK</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

R

rybanis

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The Japanese Module has been pulled out of the Payload Bay and is about halfway to being seated on Harmony.&nbsp; Meanwhile the spacewalkers are making their way back to Quest to wrap up this first EVA.&nbsp; Everything is looking good so far.&nbsp;SK <br /> Posted by SpaceKiwi</DIV></p><p>Looks like the module has been mated.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobw

<strong>Ginger Kerrick</strong> ISS flight director news conference. 12:40 PM central time<br /><br />Japanese pressurized module will be opened today and supplied with temporary power.<br /><br />Patch didn't work.&nbsp; Current hypothesis is that the pallet is at fault.&nbsp; They are going to try powering Dextre up with Canadarm II later today.&nbsp; Will keep arm docked to Dextre, to keep it warm, whenever the arm isn't needed to support spacewalks. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

<p>Entry into the JPM is to occur momentarily.&nbsp; The Status Briefing has been moved to 1AM Central Time so that definitive results may be delivered on getting some power to DEXTRE.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>SK</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

<p>Hatch open, lights on, looks good.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>SK</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><strong><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>"They are going to try powering Dextre up with Canadarm II later today."</strong></p><p><strong>Posted by bobw</DIV></strong></p><p>Looks like everything went well with the mating of the two, but they said they won't have a briefing on the results until 1am central.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p>They just announced Dextre has power.&nbsp; Good Job Folks!</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

D

derekmcd

The briefing has been moved up to 10:15pm CDT (3:15UT) in light of the recent success. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#3366ff">They just announced Dextre has power.&nbsp; Good Job Folks! <br /></font><strong>Posted by derekmcd</strong></DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>That's excellent news.&nbsp; There's always a workaround, and no doubt the will have a permanent solution soon enough.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>SK<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

M

moonmadness

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>They just announced Dextre has power.&nbsp; Good Job Folks! <br />Posted by derekmcd</DIV><br /><br />Looking like it was a cable design flaw?? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do play one on the TV in my mind.</p> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#3366ff">Looking like it was a cable design flaw??</font> <br /><strong>Posted by moonmadness</strong></DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Are you asking or telling?&nbsp; I haven't heard that they've successfully trouble-shot the problem yet, though we may get some updates about that&nbsp;at the Status Briefing in half an hour's time.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>SK<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><strong><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>"Looking like it was a cable design flaw??"</strong></p><p><strong>Posted by moonmadness</DIV></strong></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Should have news on that in about 1/2 hour.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

M

moonmadness

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Should have news on that in about 1/2 hour.&nbsp; <br />Posted by derekmcd</DIV></p><p class="ap-story-p"><font size="1"><span class="byline">By MARCIA DUNN </span><br /><span class="bylinetitle">AP Aerospace Writer</span></font></p><p class="ap-story-p">A cable design flaw had prevented power from reaching Dextre, once the robot was hoisted onto the space station Thursday. Engineers on the ground put in the wrong circuitry before Endeavour's flight; that was enough to create a roadblock in power and data to Dextre.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do play one on the TV in my mind.</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>By MARCIA DUNN AP Aerospace WriterA cable design flaw had prevented power from reaching Dextre, once the robot was hoisted onto the space station Thursday. Engineers on the ground put in the wrong circuitry before Endeavour's flight; that was enough to create a roadblock in power and data to Dextre. <br />Posted by moonmadness</DIV></p><p>Let me clarify a few things, based on the news conference yesterday.</p><p>The problem is in the wiring on tha pallet, and is not a Dextre problem.</p><p>It is not in the power lines.</p><p>It is a data cable issue, more specifically, an improperly terminated data cable. If a data cable is not properly terminated (a resistance at the end of the line that matches the impedence of the source) the signal reflects off the end and bounces around the cale. This leads to scrambled data, hence you can't control the device at the other end. I can't tell you how many times I ran into these types of problems on data netwroks in my previous life as a field engineer in the TV biz. When people had data/ control problems, it was always the first question to ask..."Is it properly terminated?"</p><p>Since Dextre will be removed from the pallet (which returns to earth with the orbiter) this will not be an issue once it is installed in one of it's many permanent locations on the ISS.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

BTW, there's a briefing on NASA TV at 10 AM EDT (1400 UT) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>BTW, there's a briefing on NASA TV at 10 AM EDT (1400 UT) <br />Posted by meteorwayne</DIV></p><p>Mission Status Briefing replay about to start on NASA TV<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

H

Hiro2008

<p>It's very very very very very difficult for&nbsp;me&nbsp;to join the new forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</p><p>Hello, I am Hiro2008. Old name is Hiro2002.</p><p>But I can't use old name. My old name&nbsp;was rejected by system. They said the name is already used. Who????</p><p>&nbsp;I am happy to see Japanese module.</p><p>until Yesterday, ISS is "US-Russia Space station" for me.</p><p>But today, ISS becomes International Space Station.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It's very very very very very difficult for&nbsp;me&nbsp;to join the new forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hello, I am Hiro2008. Old name is Hiro2002.But I can't use old name. My old name&nbsp;was rejected by system. They said the name is already used. Who????&nbsp;I am happy to see Japanese module.until Yesterday, ISS is "US-Russia Space station" for me.But today, ISS becomes International Space Station.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by Hiro2008</DIV></p><p>Hiro,</p><p>If you click on the "Contact Us" link below and send a message to the "Community Manager" they can restore your old name.</p><p>Congratulations on the new addition to the, now really, International Space Station!! Your countryman, the project manager was very proud during the press conference this morning!</p><p>Wayne<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

<p>Last night here in Canberra, we had our annual fireworks display called "Skyfire". It was a spectacular sight, especially when the STS/ISS combo flew straight though it! I wonder how many people noticed the very bright fast moving star, I know the guy beside me didn't untill I pointed it out. And yes it was very bright! The fireworks was great, the ISS/STS sighting just topped it off.</p><p>Would the astronauts be able to see firework from around 200km?&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

R

Rocketwatcher2002

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I am happy to see Japanese module.until Yesterday, ISS is "US-Russia Space station" for me.But today, ISS becomes International Space Station.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by Hiro2008</DIV></p><p>Hiro!&nbsp; It is good to see you, Sir!.</p><p>I am very happy to see the Japanese Science in space.&nbsp; My wife is Japanese, and I told her how excited I was to see Japan working on the ISS.&nbsp; I told her that I believe that the Japanese&nbsp;will be the leaders of space very soon, and all people will have a better life because of the Japanese Space Science on ISS.&nbsp; She did not understand why I said that, but I explained to her why, and I would also enjoy to explain it to you, and all people at SDC.</p><p>I believe Japanese scientists and engineers are some of the best in the world.&nbsp; Many great machines have been created by the Japanese, and the reason I believe Japan creates good machines is because of the pride they feel in creating something wonderful.&nbsp; </p><p>My wife asked me,&nbsp;"Why in space?", and I told her&nbsp;some&nbsp;chemistry works differently when there are no convection currents.&nbsp; We may learn to make stronger metal&nbsp;alloys in space, or better polymers.&nbsp; </p><p>She asked me, "why do we need anything better?, I am satisfied with everything the way it is."&nbsp; </p><p>I told her that we could make better engines, and many other machines&nbsp;if we had better metals.&nbsp; If we had better engines we could fly from Florida to Japan in 12 minutes instead of 12 hours.</p><p>She said that that wasn't possible.</p><p>I told her that it would take 12 days to go from Florida to Japan when her Grandfather was young, now we can do it in 12 hours, because of the Science that they did many years ago.&nbsp; If we continue to get better, what we do in 12 hours today, we can do in 12 minutes in the future.&nbsp; If we work for it.</p><p>The Japanese scientist will work for it, and improve the way we live.&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>Post EVA Mission Statys Briefing Replay at 10 AM EDT (1400 UT), half an hour from now.</p><p>Ither NASA TV events today Flight Director Update 1230 EDT (1630 UT), MSB 8PM EDT (0000 UT)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.