STS-123 (1 J/A) Mission thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

erioladastra

"Didnt know they had to leave Canadaarm at the station "<br /><br />I think you are confusing the arm with the OBSS. The arm is not being left on the ISS.

T

Testing

First time question for you. Does the boom need to be powered on station to keep it's instruments toasty or is it OK as is? Should you ever wrangle an assignment out here you would be as welcome as S_G. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobblebob

oops sorry yea meant OBSS. Not sure where i got canadarm from

M

MeteorWayne

<p>Just a timely bump.</p><p>MW</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

E

elguapoguano

I was wondering when this thread would make it back on top. We are only a few days away from launch. Sure is good to see Shuttle operations running smoothly again. And the ISS is starting to look like all the promo shots and videos in real life.Great work NASA and all those involved. Here's to another successful mission! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#ff0000"><u><em>Don't let your sig line incite a gay thread ;>)</em></u></font> </div>

T

Testing

Yo SG! Where you at? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

L

larper

<p>I just saw the mission animation on NASATV last night.&nbsp; This mission looks like the most exciting, coolest, most awesome Shuttle/Station mission ever.</p><p>It should be a wild ride.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

L

larper

So, why do they have to leave the OBSS at the station?&nbsp; Is it so that they can use it to access the solar arrays if needed, as they did when repairing P6? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

T

Testing

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So, why do they have to leave the OBSS at the station?&nbsp; Is it so that they can use it to access the solar arrays if needed, as they did when repairing P6? <br />Posted by larper</DIV></p><p>Needed the space in the cargo bay for the Japanese module. OBSS did not exist when it was designed.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

L

larper

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Needed the space in the cargo bay for the Japanese module. OBSS did not exist when it was designed. <br />Posted by testing</DIV></p><p>Oh... You mean, when they bring up the big lab, that shuttle won't have an OBSS, so they needed to store one at the station and will bring it down on that mission? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

Z

Zipi

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Oh... You mean, when they bring up the big lab, that shuttle won't have an OBSS, so they needed to store one at the station and will bring it down on that mission? <br />Posted by larper</DIV><br /><br />Correct. The reason why they are not bringing the OBSS boom down with STS-123 is that they want to use it with STS-124 as well. And because the lab in STS-124 is so big, there is no room for the OBSS to bring it up with the same flight as they usually do.</p><p>And why they&nbsp;don't always store the OBSS boom to the station? Because it will take more time to do those inspections docked with the station and they cannot scan all the needed areas with the same high resolution as they can do undocked. So it is not practical to store the OBSS boom to the station unless it is really needed to do so&nbsp;for carrying larger payloads etc...</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Countdown Status Briefings&nbsp;are scheduled for 10 AM EST (1500 UT) on Friday and Saturday mornings. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

P

paul_bacon

<p>Finally back on the forums, only just noticed the new ones were up.</p><p>Has the problem with the UHF radio been mentioned yet? Meeting tomorrow to decide what to do. They think they can fly as is but it would mean changing the flight rules</p>

P

paul_bacon

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Finally back on the forums, only just noticed the new ones were up.Has the problem with the UHF radio been mentioned yet? Meeting tomorrow to decide what to do. They think they can fly as is but it would mean changing the flight rules <br />Posted by paul_bacon</DIV></p><p>Its bobble_bob aswell. For some reason its displaying my real name instead of my user name. Odd</p>

B

bobble_bob

<p>Seem to have got my old account back now</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Seem to have got my old account back now <br />Posted by bobble_bob</DIV></p><p>Glad to see you bbbbb :)</p><p>1/2 hour to Countdown Status Briefing<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Glad to see you bbbbb :)1/2 hour to Countdown Status Briefing <br />Posted by meteorwayne</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>In progress now<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;In progress now <br />Posted by meteorwayne</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Summary...</p><p>Weather looks good 10% no go for the 11th, 20% on the 12th. They will try on the 11th, and 12th if necessary. Then they stand down until the 17th to 22nd due to another scheduled launch on the range.</p><p>Call to stations 2:30 AM EST Saturday, Countdown styarts at 3 AM.</p><p>Launch sheceduled a few seconds after 2:28 AM EDT (0628 UT) on the 11th.</p><p>Only issue is UHF Hi Power amplifier. They have two working redundant low power amps which are sufficient; even if they do decide to replce the hi power amp, it would not delay the launch.</p><p>MW</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

bdewoody

Is this the closest two missions will have flown to each other.&nbsp; I remember way back they were hoping for 6-8 missions per year. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

B

bobble_bob

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Glad to see you bbbbb :)1/2 hour to Countdown Status Briefing <br />Posted by meteorwayne</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;Thanks&nbsp;meteorwayne :)&nbsp;</p><p>Missed the Status Briefing. Made a note to remember to watch it but completly forgot. I will be watching the launch before work on the Tuesday :)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Thanks&nbsp;meteorwayne :)&nbsp;Missed the Status Briefing. Made a note to remember to watch it but completly forgot. I will be watching the launch before work on the Tuesday :) <br />Posted by bobble_bob</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>You didn't miss much; my summary covered all the important points.</p><p>BTW, KSC is now under a tornado watch until 7PM this evening.</p><p>Wayne, wearing both hats<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

bobble_bob

Will you be staying up for the launch meteorwayne? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts